5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fact: Starting your engine pulls more amps from the battery than any other function in your trucks operation.
And I do not believe that he was saying that the eTorque system was putting more stress on the 12volt system, it's quite the contrary.

But since were spit-ballin ideas, how's bout this:
Any and every starter ever built has a finite number of times that it will start the engine. One day after so many uses it will fail, inevitably. Right?
Well how many more time will a vehicle with the S/S feature call on the starter to do it's thing compared to one without?
The starters used in vehicles with s/s are heavy duty designed for the extra work, and the life cycle is in the hundreds of thousands of start cycles.

Here's an example. Granted this is for Toyota, but the same principle applies. Toyota has a cycle counter built in that will pop a check engine light for starter replacement once it hits that threshold.
To contextualize that number, 384,000 restarts equates to more-than 21 starts every single day for 50 years. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the starter motors will last that many cycles, but that’s the built-in point when Toyota requires your starter to be replaced.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly! The extra stress on the starter is a big concern.
Only a concern if you are going to keep your truck for decades. Chances are the starter will outlive the engine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
But you haven't shown any proof that the etorque system even puts more stress on the 12v battery. It uses the 48v battery for stop/start operation. It uses a dc to dc converter in the 48v battery pack to charge the 12v main battery. That certainly isn't harder on the 12v battery.
I think I either said something in a backwards way or you just misunderstand what I am saying.
The auto start\stop feature is ONLY on trucks WITH eTorque.
eTorque itself is BETTER then WITHOUT eTorque for trucks that preform the auto start\stop becuase it spreads the stress across other systems vs the starter.
Thus that is why I expect a higher failure rate on the components that will not be dealing with the A/SS on the 2025s since eTorque is no more.
Fact: Starting your engine pulls more amps from the battery than any other function in your trucks operation.
And I do not believe that he was saying that the eTorque system was putting more stress on the 12volt system, it's quite the contrary.

But since were spit-ballin ideas, how's bout this:
Any and every starter ever built has a finite number of times that it will start the engine. One day after so many uses it will fail, inevitably. Right?
Well how many more time will a vehicle with the S/S feature call on the starter to do it's thing compared to one without?
Yes
Exactly! The extra stress on the starter is a big concern.
Stress that was not on the starter on the 2019-2024 due to eTorque.

His response was to my saying the etorque system isn't what's killing the batteries. Your post shows that you don't understand how the etorque system works or you aren't referring to what Ram has been using for its stop/start systems until now. Etorque doesn't use the main starter or main 12v battery. It uses the belt driven starter/generator (BSG) and the 48v etorque battery for restarts. He never gave facts for how he thinks the etorque system negatively affects the main 12v battery.
I don't and never have thought the eTorque, as silly a system as it would ever causes problems with the 12V battery, in fact the opposite, it would\should help prolong the other parts, and unlike an alternative comes with an 80k mile warranty.
No, my post was a literal interpretation of what Darksteel stated. That's it.

Edit: I stand corrected! I did misread his original post! I thought he was referring to auto stop/start and didn't catch that he was referring to etorque. My bad.
eTorque goes hand and hand with A/SS. You don't get A/SS on a non-eTorque Ram 1500, both systems are 100% intertwined.

E.Hands

Reaction score
The starters used in vehicles with s/s are heavy duty designed for the extra work, and the life cycle is in the hundreds of thousands of start cycles.

Here's an example. Granted this is for Toyota, but the same principle applies. Toyota has a cycle counter built in that will pop a check engine light for starter replacement once it hits that threshold.
To contextualize that number, 384,000 restarts equates to more-than 21 starts every single day for 50 years. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the starter motors will last that many cycles, but that’s the built-in point when Toyota requires your starter to be replaced.
This is what I feel as well. Just as in Formula One everything was built on the ragged edge of balance speed vs durability, so to do auto manufactures juggle the cost vs durability equation.
When the call came for a starter that had a multitude of previous starter's durability, it was easily achieved by sacrificing a little cost to make the compromise. The technology was already in place.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think I either said something in a backwards way or you just misunderstand what I am saying.
The auto start\stop feature is ONLY on trucks WITH eTorque.
eTorque itself is BETTER then WITHOUT eTorque for trucks that preform the auto start\stop becuase it spreads the stress across other systems vs the starter.
Thus that is why I expect a higher failure rate on the components that will not be dealing with the A/SS on the 2025s since eTorque is no more.

Yes

Stress that was not on the starter on the 2019-2024 due to eTorque.

I don't and never have thought the eTorque, as silly a system as it would ever causes problems with the 12V battery, in fact the opposite, it would\should help prolong the other parts, and unlike an alternative comes with an 80k mile warranty.

eTorque goes hand and hand with A/SS. You don't get A/SS on a non-eTorque Ram 1500, both systems are 100% intertwined.
It's just not worth the effort. :rolleyes:

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Not sure if its the truck's fault or just how batteries are made.
My nissan truck eats batteries and have to replace it every 3 year or 4 if lucky.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Not sure if its the truck's fault or just how batteries are made.
My nissan truck eats batteries and have to replace it every 3 year or 4 if lucky.
Modern electrical systems do far more work than they have in the past.
Batteries are an expendable item. A lot or cars have gone to smaller and lighter batteries than what was previously used.

Are you getting a 2025 with the I6 Hurricane?​

PetePA

Reaction score
I wonder what batteries the 2025s come with. Anyone know if it's AGM or Lithium? Might be a silly question, but I haven't bought a new car since like 2017.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what batteries the 2025s come with. Anyone know if it's AGM or Lithium? Might be a silly question, but I haven't bought a new car since like 2017.
I don't think any care, other than EV/Hybrids have lithium batteries from factory

MT755

Reaction score
The alternators that do more work than ever before too.
The batteries do a lot more charge, discharge. Are there any engineers here to tell us if the batteries are more affected by age or charge cycles?

E.Hands

Reaction score
The alternators that do more work than ever before too.
The batteries do a lot more charge, discharge. Are there any engineers here to tell us if the batteries are more affected by age or charge cycles?
At the risk of quickly turning this into a battery thread, that is a good question: Age vs Duty Cycles.
I'm sure there are many other variables too.
But,

KMach

Reaction score
I got a Big Horn with a few options (hurricane, night edition, off road group )
By chance, was this a quad cab or crew? I have this exact package in a ‘21 with a Hemi but I’m very interested in driving a new SST. Of course, my next truck also would need to be PR4, night edition and off road group with 3.92 gears. Just curious on real numbers out the door you may have signed for.

Jmac509

Reaction score
At the risk of quickly turning this into a battery thread, that is a good question: Age vs Duty Cycles.
I'm sure there are many other variables too.
But,

If you do get a 2025 with the I6 Hurricane, what battery are you getting for it?

lonepeak

Reaction score
Whatever it comes with. My Laramie 2015 battery lasted nearly 5 years. Normally I would change a battery even if no problems by 4 years unless reason to do it sooner.

Reaction score
By chance, was this a quad cab or crew? I have this exact package in a ‘21 with a Hemi but I’m very interested in driving a new SST. Of course, my next truck also would need to be PR4, night edition and off road group with 3.92 gears. Just curious on real numbers out the door you may have signed for.
Crew cab. I had a 2018 Big Horn I loved, but I was driving 50+ miles a day back and forth to work so I sold it when gas prices skyrocketed a few years ago for a commuter car. I’m excited to be back in a truck.

Real numbers came in under the starting MSRP for a Laramie and I got everything I wanted in it package wise.

The only hang up I have about the hurricane is it won’t sound like a hemi. Other than that I have no issue with turbos (wife has a 2020 expedition and it’s smooth and powerful). And if I hate it I’ll sell it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lonepeak

Reaction score
Makes sense. Do you know if they're at least AGM? Surely they wouldn't be the old flooded batteries.
Not sure about latest OEM batts but if buying you might keep in mind and compare the latest EFB type batts.

E.Hands

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread