5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd rather have the rear facing camera in the rear window. Better FOV of what's behind you in an accident. More focused on the outside than inside. To each his own though. I mean, if you really wanted to you could mount the rear facing camera on the windshield pointing backwards. Just have to deal with the extra long cord, or have some wiring skills and shorten it up
I definitely wouldn’t want the rear camera to capture what’s happening in the cab. It would record me sipping my beer, playing with my phone, and steering with my knee.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just installled a FitcamX in my wife’s Lincoln Navigator. The wiring to the back was about 6’ too long. Tuck it all away and finally decided to run my rear camera (up to now I had just been using the front cam). My God, that was a lot of wiring to tuck away. Ran it all the way down the rear door molding and back up - then still had to run some across the rear headliner and back. Not super happy with it, as I can see a little sagging down.
I recall someone saying they stuffed it all into the C pillar, but I could only stuff so much and was worried about interfering with the airbag.
Anybody got a rock solid tip on where to put all that wiring?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just installled a FitcamX in my wife’s Lincoln Navigator. The wiring to the back was about 6’ too long. Tuck it all away and finally decided to run my rear camera (up to now I had just been using the front cam). My God, that was a lot of wiring to tuck away. Ran it all the way down the rear door molding and back up - then still had to run some across the rear headliner and back. Not super happy with it, as I can see a little sagging down.
I recall someone saying they stuffed it all into the C pillar, but I could only stuff so much and was worried about interfering with the airbag.
I made a coil of mine and shoved in the C-pillar trying to make sure it wasn't going to interfere with air bag. I didn't just shove the extra cable down loosely.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They probably just have one length cable, for all cars. They have to make sure it's long enough, for anything.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stuffed all that extra wiring in the C pillar just like Waterfowler41 did check his youtube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lsupcar

Reaction score
Also wondering about the extra cable and airbag interference.
I ordered a front and rear camera system and have yet to install secondary to concern about the rear camera cable issue. Thinking of running the cable along the passenger side headliner but every pillar where people tuck cable contains an airbag. Evan the rear headliner above the seat head rests have a airbag placard. Do we know that stuffed extra cable will not interfere with airbag deployment? Is there an airbag in the rear headliner above the rear seats?
Thanks.

JOzzz

Reaction score
I ordered a front and rear camera system and have yet to install secondary to concern about the rear camera cable issue. Thinking of running the cable along the passenger side headliner but every pillar where people tuck cable contains an airbag. Evan the rear headliner above the seat head rests have a airbag placard. Do we know that stuffed extra cable will not interfere with airbag deployment? Is there an airbag in the rear headliner above the rear seats?
Thanks.

I did mine along the floor for this reason. Only ended up with about 6” extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there an airbag in the rear headliner above the rear seats?
Thanks.
Yeah, there are airbags back there too. If you’re just tucking wiring along the edge of the panels, I don’t see a problem. It’s stuffing several feet of wiring into the gap that bothers me.

Entellex

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn’t want the rear camera to capture what’s happening in the cab. It would record me sipping my beer, playing with my phone, and steering with my knee.
Good point, lol

Code2medic

Reaction score
Thanks.
Pretty sure you dont have to worry about a wire by the airbag in the pillar. First those things are like bombs going off, second it has to blow the plastic cover off in order to deploy. A bundle of wire isnt going to get in the way. Pillar airbag honesty dont do very much when you have the dash airbag stopping you they are for the very very rare instant the top of the head my hit. If it does its not going to matter youll have bigger issues to contend with

lsupcar

Reaction score
Pretty sure you dont have to worry about a wire by the airbag in the pillar. First those things are like bombs going off, second it has to blow the plastic cover off in order to deploy. A bundle of wire isnt going to get in the way. Pillar airbag honesty dont do very much when you have the dash airbag stopping you they are for the very very rare instant the top of the head my hit. If it does its not going to matter youll have bigger issues to contend with
Thanks for all the comments.
It would be nice to know where exactly the airbag modules are so one could try and avoid dangling a wire in front of one. As in a detailed parts diagram/illustration.

Code2medic

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments.
It would be nice to know where exactly the airbag modules are so one could try and avoid dangling a wire in front of one. As in a detailed parts diagram/illustration.
the module that controls them is under the center console. the bags mount on the metal frame of the truck above the head liner. they go the full length of the truck to the back. If you look at the very back on the frame you'll see black that's the explosive device

Attachments

• IMG_5484 2 copy.jpg
    IMG_5484 2 copy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS CAMERA THROUGH THE SUMMER? I HAVE A BLACKVUE AND LIVE IN OKLAHOMA, SUMMER (CERAMIC WINDSHIELD TINT) IT GOT TOASTED AND NO LONGER WORKS.

lsupcar

Reaction score
the module that controls them is under the center console. the bags mount on the metal frame of the truck above the head liner. they go the full length of the truck to the back. If you look at the very back on the frame you'll see black that's the explosive device
Thanks for the pic.
I installed the cameras today. I ran the rear camera cable along the passenger side headliner and threaded the extra cable for the rear camera into the passenger side A pillar which did not seem to involve an airbag.
Now to see to the app and video images.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS CAMERA THROUGH THE SUMMER? I HAVE A BLACKVUE AND LIVE IN OKLAHOMA, SUMMER (CERAMIC WINDSHIELD TINT) IT GOT TOASTED AND NO LONGER WORKS.
YES I HAD MY FITCAMX THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER AND IT STILL WORKS GREAT. SORRY FOR ALL THE YELLING BUT I ASSUME WE ARE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION FROM ACROSS THE PARKING LOT

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online