5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque vs. Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
8 year / 80K mile emissions warranty covers eTorque for a while.
That's pretty good coverage in my eyes.
My fleet (wife, 3 sons) encompass a 1990 Celica, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 84k, 2001 Rav 4, 2006 Accord, 2017 Civic, 2019 Ram, gave away my 1985 Corolla 2 years ago (sat 10+ years) and the 94 Explorer needs to go.
NYC Ins rates (fire theft collision) kind of pushes you into older models, along with limited off street parking and inconsiderate people (dings, scratches).
The etorque was an unknown future expense, going to take a few miles and years before it plays out.
I remember when battery operated tools first came out and the price has dropped.
40+ years ago I purchased a Milwaukee Sawzall for $100+, today the same price.
Just an unknown for now.

BowDown

Reaction score
It's not valid. It is purchased for the performance value, and it clearly delivers. That is not subjective in any way.

4 wheel drive is not unecessary complexity when someone purchases a truck with the requirement that it has 4 wheel drive. :ROFLMAO:

Is a supercharger needed? No
4WD is an unnecessary complexity if you don't need it

BowDown

Reaction score
8 year / 80K mile emissions warranty covers eTorque for a while.

The warranty excuse for not getting etorque makes no sense to me. Its warrantied for 8 years, most aren't keeping the truck that long so why does that even matter? If fear of having to pay for repairs is an concern, is not the fear of having to replace the trans, rack and pinion ect also a concern? Makes no sense

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Is a supercharger needed? No
4WD is an unnecessary complexity if you don't need it

Super charger is needed to get the 700 HP that is one of the main selling points of the truck, and the $90k price tag...so yes, it is entirely necessary for that purpose.

4WD, again...necessary for those who require it on their truck.

Neither the super charger, nor the 4WD make dubious claims about saving you money, which is the crux of the argument about e-torque. It's doubtful it will save much money, and if the cost of repairs negates the "savings" they promised, the it is an entirely failed investment.

Nobody buys a supercharger or a 4-wheel drive based on the premise they'd be saving money, which is why your analogy was, is, and shall remain invalid.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Super charger is needed to get the 700 HP that is one of the main selling points of the truck, and the $90k price tag...so yes, it is entirely necessary for that purpose.

Neither the super charger, nor the 4WD make dubious claims about saving you money, which is the crux of the argument about e-torque. It's doubtful it will save much money, and if the cost of repairs negates the "savings" they promised, the it is an entirely failed investment.

Nobody buys a supercharger or a 4-wheel drive based on the premise they'd be saving money, which is why your analogy was, is, and shall remain invalid.
I don't think people get eTorque based on the premise that they'd save money. Not why I got it anyway.

BowDown

Reaction score

No, a supercharger isn't needed to get to 700hp nor is 700 hp needed.
I didn't but etorque with the the premise of saving money. The comment was made that etorque was one more thing that could fail, under that line of thinking, a supercharger is one more thing that could fail, 4 WD is one more thing that could fail. You may not want the comparison to be valid but it very much is

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
I just picked up my ‘22 limited with etorque and WOW…the start/stop is even better than the ‘21 I was driving around for a bit. The stop especially is tweaked now so that it shuts off just as you’re finishing breaking. BARELY noticeable. I honestly might consider keeping it on this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up my ‘22 limited with etorque and WOW…the start/stop is even better than the ‘21 I was driving around for a bit. The stop especially is tweaked now so that it shuts off just as you’re finishing breaking. BARELY noticeable. I honestly might consider keeping it on this time!

Yeah, easily the best implementation of start/stop I've seen so far.

Selcher

Reaction score

I noticed the same thing. It activates as you're coming to a stop. And with the new Borla S-Type Catback, the start up again is kind of OK to me too.

By comparison, I absolutely hate the stop / start nonsense in my '16 Cherokee. It infuriates me if I happen to forget to turn it off. Worst system ever.

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing. It activates as you're coming to a stop. And with the new Borla S-Type Catback, the start up again is kind of OK to me too.

By comparison, I absolutely hate the stop / start nonsense in my '16 Cherokee. It infuriates me if I happen to forget to turn it off. Worst system ever.

Yeah I think I can live with this one. I actually plan to get the same exhaust too so hopefully that won’t be annoying on startup inside the cabin

BowDown

Reaction score

Yeah, easily the best implementation of start/stop I've seen so far.

Wow, as good as it already was it sounds like they made it even better. I'm curious now

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah, I just put a Magnaflow Cat-Back on, gives you a little mini rev-roar, I like it 😁

Bigdumps

Reaction score
After having standard hemis with mds. This new truck has the etorque and the Mopar exhaust. The auto start stop feature makes a nice little "backfire/growl) when I let off the brake. My son loves it. Have only had the truck a week, so not enough time to say anything to definite. Can't even comment on fuel economy, cause it's winter and I remote start for 15 minutes anytime I need to go somewhere.

But it would be nice for it to engage when the truck is park and I'm waiting. (Listen to music while waiting for someone)

Scram1500

Reaction score
No, a supercharger isn't needed to get to 700hp nor is 700 hp needed.
I didn't but etorque with the the premise of saving money. The comment was made that etorque was one more thing that could fail, under that line of thinking, a supercharger is one more thing that could fail, 4 WD is one more thing that could fail. You may not want the comparison to be valid but it very much is
Using that rationale, owning a vehicle isn't needed. If you need to get somewhere, use Uber or public transportation, when you need a truck you could rent one from Lowes for $20.

The point was that it's one less thing to worry about.

BowDown

Reaction score
Using that rationale, owning a vehicle isn't needed. If you need to get somewhere, use Uber or public transportation, when you need a truck you could rent one from Lowes for $20.

The point was that it's one less thing to worry about.

Which is why it's a poor argument, there's always one less thing to break

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But it would be nice for it to engage when the truck is park and I'm waiting. (Listen to music while waiting for someone)
Yes! This feels like such a missed opportunity. There are times where you don’t really want the truck “off”, but the stop/start system could be engaged.

It could also benefit from ‘smarter’ programming, such that it doesn’t restart the truck after you’ve come to a stop in your garage and MDS has shut the truck off before you can shift to Park. That’s a completely unnecessary restart every. single. time.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes! This feels like such a missed opportunity. There are times where you don’t really want the truck “off”, but the stop/start system could be engaged.

It could also benefit from ‘smarter’ programming, such that it doesn’t restart the truck after you’ve come to a stop in your garage and MDS has shut the truck off before you can shift to Park. That’s a completely unnecessary restart every. single. time.
Safety feature for the idiots that would just get out without shutting it off and go in the house. There have been cases of hybrid owners doing this, only to have the car start later in the closed garage and kill them with carbon monoxide. But this has also happened with regular gas keyless (push button) start cars so...

Idiots ruin it for everyone.

Bigdumps

Reaction score

Absolutely! Lol every time I pull into my driveway it turns off and back on when I put it in park. Neighbors must think I give it one last rev before going inside.

On that note. Does anyone know how to turn the 3 honks off when I get out and leave it running? Never had that happen on my '20

Ben1500GT

Reaction score

Yes that last part is annoying. Especially when it’s such a quick change. Maybe the best solution is just turning the Auto start/stop off before parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread