5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed something kind of strange this morning. I was on a call, and had the call in private mode. Since carplay is wireless now, it still showed everything on my screen. When I parked and turned the truck off, the center stack screen never turned off (it normally shows the ram logo then turns off when you kill the engine and open the door). I exited the truck and locked the doors, and it still showed carplay. I then disconnected Bluetooth, still showed carplay.

So i proceeded to talk to my office, and finished the conversation. 30 minutes later i walked back to the lot and the screen was off.

Anyone experienced this before? Thanks.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a couple of months with Ottocast, I am generally happy with it. A few quirks, so it isn't perfect.

Biggest issue...after last iOS update (16.4.1) that I installed last week, Carplay froze on screen a couple of times and I had to disconnect it and hard wire my phone. Hope that improves over the next few weeks.

I'd say the Ottocast works great 80+% of the time. Not bad for $70.

I've been on 16.4.1 for a while now and have not had that issue.

Not saying my Ottocast is perfect, though. But, it's more like 95%, not 80, for me.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed something kind of strange this morning. I was on a call, and had the call in private mode. Since carplay is wireless now, it still showed everything on my screen. When I parked and turned the truck off, the center stack screen never turned off (it normally shows the ram logo then turns off when you kill the engine and open the door). I exited the truck and locked the doors, and it still showed carplay. I then disconnected Bluetooth, still showed carplay.

So i proceeded to talk to my office, and finished the conversation. 30 minutes later i walked back to the lot and the screen was off.

Anyone experienced this before? Thanks.
Update on this issue. If you're on the phone and bluetooth is still connected to the dongle, the radio will not turn off. I had to turn bluetooth off on my phone, and let the dongle go back to the default screen. Now the radio turns off.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I’ve been using this wireless charger while using my CarPlay dongle. When I put my phone on it, it says it’s charging. I also feel my phone getting warm. However, it doesn’t really seem to be charging. It may be maintaining the current charge a bit, but after a couple hours of driving, the charge level didn’t really increase.

Any ideas?

NANAMI Wireless Charger, Qi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y6D6KG6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’ve been using this wireless charger while using my CarPlay dongle. When I put my phone on it, it says it’s charging. I also feel my phone getting warm. However, it doesn’t really seem to be charging. It may be maintaining the current charge a bit, but after a couple hours of driving, the charge level didn’t really increase.

Any ideas?

NANAMI Wireless Charger, Qi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y6D6KG6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sounds like the charging is working. Otherwise, your charge level would decrease during a couple of hours of dirving and using CarPlay.

Running Maps, talking on the phone, streaming music, all use battery. Depending on exactly what you're doing, the wireless charger can't charge fast enough to let the phone do all that AND increase the charge level. Basically, you're burning as much juice as you're loading in with the charger.

If you need to really charge AND run all that other stuff, you should look at a wired charger in the 24 - 30W range.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like the charging is working. Otherwise, your charge level would decrease during a couple of hours of dirving and using CarPlay.

Running Maps, talking on the phone, streaming music, all use battery. Depending on exactly what you're doing, the wireless charger can't charge fast enough to let the phone do all that AND increase the charge level. Basically, you're burning as much juice as you're loading in with the charger.

If you need to really charge AND run all that other stuff, you should look at a wired charger in the 24 - 30W range.
Thanks for the suggestion. All I was doing was using wireless CarPlay with Waze. No music or talking. I’d think it would’ve charged, even if slowly. I just turned on the percent sign for the battery. I’ll try another brick and keep testing.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. All I was doing was using wireless CarPlay with Waze. No music or talking. I’d think it would’ve charged, even if slowly. I just turned on the percent sign for the battery. I’ll try another brick and keep testing.

Wireless charging is just slower than wired charging. No way around that. Assuming you have the fastest of each available, of course.

I got a couple of these for charging my iPhone in a hurry. 30W I keep one in my truck for times when my phone gets run way down and I want to charge it up more quickly than the built-in wireless does.

I also goes one of these. It claims to do up to 36W. I keep it on my motorcycle. If my phone runs down enough to need a charge, this thing charges it fast enough that I can hook it up and let it charge while I'm stopped to have a quick snack and it will charge up more than enough to take care of what I need. I could also use it in the truck I suppose, but I just use the other one, in the AC outlet in the truck.

I think either one of these would be more than enough to run the phone while using CarPlay and also charge the phone up.

Side note: I drove 6+ hours yesterday, coming back to SC from FL. I had my iPhone 14 Pro Max running wireless CarPlay the whole way, running Google Maps to navigate me and streaming music from MP3s stored on the phone. My phone was not fully charged when I left. It sat in the truck's built-in wireless charger the whole way and was fully charged when I got home to SC. I don't know how long during the drive it took to get to 100%. The point was simply that the right model of iPhone and the right wireless charger IS capable of running CarPlay and actually charging, not just maintaining.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wireless charging is just slower than wired charging. No way around that. Assuming you have the fastest of each available, of course.

I got a couple of these for charging my iPhone in a hurry. 30W I keep one in my truck for times when my phone gets run way down and I want to charge it up more quickly than the built-in wireless does.

I also goes one of these. It claims to do up to 36W. I keep it on my motorcycle. If my phone runs down enough to need a charge, this thing charges it fast enough that I can hook it up and let it charge while I'm stopped to have a quick snack and it will charge up more than enough to take care of what I need. I could also use it in the truck I suppose, but I just use the other one, in the AC outlet in the truck.

I think either one of these would be more than enough to run the phone while using CarPlay and also charge the phone up.

Side note: I drove 6+ hours yesterday, coming back to SC from FL. I had my iPhone 14 Pro Max running wireless CarPlay the whole way, running Google Maps to navigate me and streaming music from MP3s stored on the phone. My phone was not fully charged when I left. It sat in the truck's built-in wireless charger the whole way and was fully charged when I got home to SC. I don't know how long during the drive it took to get to 100%. The point was simply that the right model of iPhone and the right wireless charger IS capable of running CarPlay and actually charging, not just maintaining.
Gotcha. I have an Iphone 12, which should be able to charge up to ~7 watts on Qi. Did some more testing today. Even took it out of my truck and into my office. It seems to be working as of right now. Maybe once it warms up it stops? Now that I can see the percent charged on my phone, it's easier to tell. I am also getting a replacement from Amazon just to be sure in case its faulty.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score

View attachment 154640

View attachment 154641

I have about 700 engine hours on my truck. I can recommend this as I bought it a month after buying it new. After all this time I can say it’s very reliable. It does freeze every once in a while. Maybe once every two weeks. I unplug it and plug it back in to restart it, it works fine again. Audio is clear. Works just like normal. You would think it’s stock if I didn’t say anything sbout it. I walk away and back to the truck (leaving the engine running) after disconnecting, it reconnects on its own flawlessly. It connects on its own automatically. If my wife is in the truck and I walk away causing my phone to disconnect, it will automatically connect to the wife’s phone.

I love it. I have Uconnect 4. I use the 3.0 model. I didnt want the newest one as there’s always problems with new stuff. I had an iPhone 11, wife has a 13, and I upgraded to a 14 pro now. No issues with either phone.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. I have an Iphone 12, which should be able to charge up to ~7 watts on Qi. Did some more testing today. Even took it out of my truck and into my office. It seems to be working as of right now. Maybe once it warms up it stops? Now that I can see the percent charged on my phone, it's easier to tell. I am also getting a replacement from Amazon just to be sure in case its faulty.

If the phone gets hot enough, it will stop charging completely. Also, as the battery gets closer to being fully charged, it will slow down the charging.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the phone gets hot enough, it will stop charging completely. Also, as the battery gets closer to being fully charged, it will slow down the charging.
Makes sense. From what I noticed Saturday, the charging indicator was on, but it wouldn't go over about half charge. I'll keep you guys in the loop as I test.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Makes sense. From what I noticed Saturday, the charging indicator was on, but it wouldn't go over about half charge. I'll keep you guys in the loop as I test.
Could also be your case on your phone unless you don’t have one.

Only one time I’ve seen the indicator light change from blue to green because my battery was at 100%

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Could also be your case on your phone unless you don’t have one.

Only one time I’ve seen the indicator light change from blue to green because my battery was at 100%
Sorry, I meant the charging indicator on my phone and in carplay. The charging pad light turns off after 10 seconds (by design). I do have a case, otterbox commuter.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@TampaLaramie made a good point. The thicker the case on the phone, the weaker the wireless charger induction field. So, the slower it charges.

I have a totalle Thin case on my iPhone. VERY thin. I haven't notice it affecting my wireless charging. But, I have had thicker cases on older phones that really did make a difference. Sometimes, to the point it wouldn't charge wirelessly at all.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 700 engine hours on my truck. I can recommend this as I bought it a month after buying it new. After all this time I can say it’s very reliable. It does freeze every once in a while. Maybe once every two weeks. I unplug it and plug it back in to restart it, it works fine again. Audio is clear. Works just like normal. You would think it’s stock if I didn’t say anything sbout it. I walk away and back to the truck (leaving the engine running) after disconnecting, it reconnects on its own flawlessly. It connects on its own automatically. If my wife is in the truck and I walk away causing my phone to disconnect, it will automatically connect to the wife’s phone.

I love it. I have Uconnect 4. I use the 3.0 model. I didnt want the newest one as there’s always problems with new stuff. I had an iPhone 11, wife has a 13, and I upgraded to a 14 pro now. No issues with either phone.
Same.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score

CarPlay should show it charging

Fcastillo

Reaction score
Update after more than a month...Ottocast has been great. I have figured out one annoying quirk:

- don't leave truck idling/take phone with you and lose BT connection...if that happens, it is almost impossible to re-connect. Leave the phone behind. Or if you need your phone, turn off engine.
Will the ottocast wireless car play work on a 2021 Laramie with the 12” screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/