5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

kmr1200

Reaction score
Ha, that is a tough one (the post at the bottom of the previous page)! I assume the bottom left category for 2018-2023?

But any Amazon product w 22% one star ratings is probably something to skip.

Herry.8

Reaction score
There are many brands of wireless carplay adapter. Everyone's experience is different. So I think it's normal for the comments to be mixed. Just share the webiste stores that I had bought.

18 MBF promo code 3.jpg

18 Joey.jpg

Herry.8

Reaction score
I subscribe to their store so I receive discount codes for their campaigns. But I'm not sure if they are still valid.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ha, that is a tough one (the post at the bottom of the previous page)! I assume the bottom left category for 2018-2023?

But any Amazon product w 22% one star ratings is probably something to skip.
This one was highly recommended by @securityguy

kmr1200

Reaction score
I just spent an afternoon with the Otterbox. After some juggling around with Bluetooth connections for ten minutes (was thinking of packing it up and returning it), I finally got it connected. Then the problem was getting sound from anything in Apple Music I was playing. On my phone and Carplay it was showing as "playing", but no audio. Kept hitting pause/play and closing out the music app on my phone, with no luck. Then I disconnected the USB and reconnected it, and music was good.

Went to grocery store and came back to truck and same thing happened. After a while the Carplay interface worked, but no audio from iTunes (audio from texts worked fine). Played around for a while and then somehow (5+ minutes later) it started working again.

Hoping it gets more reliable in terms of basics.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just spent an afternoon with the Otterbox. After some juggling around with Bluetooth connections for ten minutes (was thinking of packing it up and returning it), I finally got it connected. Then the problem was getting sound from anything in Apple Music I was playing. On my phone and Carplay it was showing as "playing", but no audio. Kept hitting pause/play and closing out the music app on my phone, with no luck. Then I disconnected the USB and reconnected it, and music was good.

Went to grocery store and came back to truck and same thing happened. After a while the Carplay interface worked, but no audio from iTunes (audio from texts worked fine). Played around for a while and then somehow (5+ minutes later) it started working again.

Hoping it gets more reliable in terms of basics.
Was this the autobox?

kmr1200

Reaction score
Ottocast worked like a charm the last few days. Thanks for the recommendation.
Update after more than a month...Ottocast has been great. I have figured out one annoying quirk:

- don't leave truck idling/take phone with you and lose BT connection...if that happens, it is almost impossible to re-connect. Leave the phone behind. Or if you need your phone, turn off engine.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Finally ordered an autobox and a wireless charger. I’ll update once installed.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried The Magic Box 2.0? I have seen some mixed reviews but it seems that our Uconnect system works well with it from the reviews I’ve read and people say with Android Auto it works great but holy heck it’s expensive was wondering if anyone has tried the 2.0 version out?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried The Magic Box 2.0? I have seen some mixed reviews but it seems that our Uconnect system works well with it from the reviews I’ve read and people say with Android Auto it works great but holy heck it’s expensive was wondering if anyone has tried the 2.0 version out?
I’ve looked at them. I think carlinkit has a better product, though I haven’t used either of them. Check out this guys YouTube channel. He has lots of reviews

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
used the autobox for the first time this morning while driving to work. So far so good. I’ll post a pic when I can. Thanks @securityguy !!

kmr1200

Reaction score
After a couple of months with Ottocast, I am generally happy with it. A few quirks, so it isn't perfect.

Biggest issue...after last iOS update (16.4.1) that I installed last week, Carplay froze on screen a couple of times and I had to disconnect it and hard wire my phone. Hope that improves over the next few weeks.

I'd say the Ottocast works great 80+% of the time. Not bad for $70.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After a couple of months with Ottocast, I am generally happy with it. A few quirks, so it isn't perfect.

Biggest issue...after last iOS update (16.4.1) that I installed last week, Carplay froze on screen a couple of times and I had to disconnect it and hard wire my phone. Hope that improves over the next few weeks.

I'd say the Ottocast works great 80+% of the time. Not bad for $70.
Sounds similar to the CarlinKit 3.0 I've been using. No iOS conflicts, but it's glitched a few times - requiring a quick unplug/replug/reboot to fix. I'll be doing a two-day drive in June that will test it more thoroughly.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds similar to the CarlinKit 3.0 I've been using. No iOS conflicts, but it's glitched a few times - requiring a quick unplug/replug/reboot to fix. I'll be doing a two-day drive in June that will test it more thoroughly.
Autobox has been pretty flawless. I still have the wave problem where it just shows a “dot” for my vehicle and doesn’t move. I have to disconnect the usb and plug it back. Same thing was happening with wired CarPlay tho. I guess it’s a Waze issue, but it’s annoying as h3ll.

Users who are viewing this thread