5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
So after having this in my truck for a couple of weeks it works really nice but it ain’t perfect. the maps and actual apps offered by CarPlay work really well as does Siri....

what does not work well is my handsfree phone calls and streaming music.

during a phone call there is a very noticeable delay while speaking with the other party. I’ve tested this with my wife on her cell phone and we were able to gauge almost a 2 second delay.... doesn’t seem like a lot but it makes it very interesting trying to have a lot of dialog back and forth.

while streaming music through the device using Apple Music as well as amazon music, there are times when the music seems to skip... almost the same as if a cd were skipping through a song due to scratches or bumps in the road...

I went ahead and disabled my connection to the uconnect so it wouldn’t confuse the dongle as well as updated it right out of the box.... also restarted my phone to see if that was the problem. No luck. What I find a little confusing is how the dongle uses both Bluetooth and a WiFi connection at the same time but I’m not really able to tell which one does what...

if anyone has any suggestions I’d appreciate it otherwise I’ll be waiting for an official update to hopefully support our trucks. Until then I’ll probably go back to simply plugging in my phone via hardwire..... just my experience thus far and not worth the $100 plus for me personally.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So after having this in my truck for a couple of weeks it works really nice but it ain’t perfect. the maps and actual apps offered by CarPlay work really well as does Siri....

during a phone call there is a very noticeable delay while speaking with the other party. I’ve tested this with my wife on her cell phone and we were able to gauge almost a 2 second delay.... doesn’t seem like a lot but it makes it very interesting trying to have a lot of dialog back and forth.

while streaming music through the device using Apple Music as well as amazon music, there are times when the music seems to skip... almost the same as if a cd were skipping through a song due to scratches or bumps in the road...

I went ahead and disabled my connection to the uconnect so it wouldn’t confuse the dongle as well as updated it right out of the box.... also restarted my phone to see if that was the problem. No luck. What I find a little confusing is how the dongle uses both Bluetooth and a WiFi connection at the same time but I’m not really able to tell which one does what...

if anyone has any suggestions I’d appreciate it otherwise I’ll be waiting for an official update to hopefully support our trucks. Until then I’ll probably go back to simply plugging in my phone via hardwire..... just my experience thus far and not worth the $100 plus for me personally.
I listen to Apple music about 80% of the time. I did have the skip twice or three times, but it was just for a second. I can certainly live with that. No issues with phone calls though.
Are you on the latest firmware?

Bluesurf

Reaction score

I followed what another member (19TXLimited) here advised and I purchased this switch. If I encounter any "bugs" I toggle it and I'm all good again. Its a great feature. Its worth the purchase.

stevestrike

Reaction score

Interesting, I have not experienced these issues myself. The voice and music quality is lower using wireless/bluetooth than when hardwired, but not to the extent that you report of a 2-second delay.

My suggestion is to try making sure the phone and the dongle can "see" each other and see if that improves performance. BT can be finicky traveling through barriers (like your own body or other parts of the console) so removing that variable should get you the best real-world performance. Good luck!

Tomcat1981

Reaction score
My wireless CPLAY2AIR unit arrived, the first thing I did was plug it in, start the car. Initiate a Bluetooth search, accept Car-play was up. Then I scanned the "bug" in the little white booklet and did the upgrade and was all done in under 3 minuets. Very simple and works perfectly. While i set this up I received 2 text messages and car-play read them to me. This device is absolutely worth the purchase. I found that if you plug it into the USB on the right, the dongle fits snugly on the side of the phone holder shelf, no tape is necessary. Now I'll keep my phone on me or slide it into the wireless charger. No more BS wires to connect and disconnect every time I I'm using a iPhone 11 Max Pro and as soon as I start the truck and the screen boots up I have the Car-play screen, I'm very impressed with the purchase and result.
I have exact setup as you, and mine can't even connect. Phone says it does not support this accessory.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
thanks For the replies. Still not working 100%. Ive tried a few things which you all suggested and no real fix... not sure what the issue is. Contacted their support and all they could tell me to do is restart my phone and check the connections as this is not yesterday supporting RAM.... I think I’ll start from scratch and erase any uconnect and CarPlay connections. We’ll see.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks For the replies. Still not working 100%. Ive tried a few things which you all suggested and no real fix... not sure what the issue is. Contacted their support and all they could tell me to do is restart my phone and check the connections as this is not yesterday supporting RAM.... I think I’ll start from scratch and erase any uconnect and CarPlay connections. We’ll see.

Have you updated the phone iOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsday75

Reaction score
I see they list 2018-2019 Ram as officially supported in their site now.

cptasphalt

Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday and setup was easy in my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited. It works fine when you only listen to music or make a call, but forget it when using Waze, Google Maps, etc. The music starts to skip and break up and the map becomes so pixilated that it’s useless.

I emailed support and their answer was to make sure there are no other Bluetooth connections, except theirs and make sure the firmware is current (which it is). No change. I am waiting for another reply and if it’s the same, I will send it back.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday and setup was easy in my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited. It works fine when you only listen to music or make a call, but forget it when using Waze, Google Maps, etc. The music starts to skip and break up and the map becomes so pixilated that it’s useless.

I emailed support and their answer was to make sure there are no other Bluetooth connections, except theirs and make sure the firmware is current (which it is). No change. I am waiting for another reply and if it’s the same, I will send it back.
Make sure you have the latest firmware version. I use Waze all the time, and it has been flawless for me. The music skips every now and then, but I barely notice it.

Cheers,

Rathiem

Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest firmware version. I use Waze all the time, and it has been flawless for me. The music skips every now and then, but I barely notice it.

Cheers,

Agree, all of my apps are functioning. The only time I get a small blip is when it picks up another WiFi signal as I come into that zone. It’s a very quick skip/tick. Now that I have a longer run rate every once in a great while maybe 1 in 20 the handoff from Bluetooth to WiFi may not complete, but cycling the source or just unplugging to reboot the dongle fixes that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I’ll admit that their customer service is very good, they’ve emailed me back a number of times within 24 hours to my questions... with that said though there are some limitations to this item. From what I can tell you can only dedicate your wireless AND Bluetooth to the dongle exclusively. Any other connection will cause it to not work 100%, in my case the music skipping. In my truck I use the imbedded WiFi and I have a WiFi das camera and a new smart watch that uses Bluetooth. All of which has to be disconnected from the phone for it to be perfect.... gotta love 1st world problems.

if you’re gonna return it you only have 15 days. I’m way past that so I’m keeping it....

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ll admit that their customer service is very good, they’ve emailed me back a number of times within 24 hours to my questions... with that said though there are some limitations to this item. From what I can tell you can only dedicate your wireless AND Bluetooth to the dongle exclusively. Any other connection will cause it to not work 100%, in my case the music skipping. In my truck I use the imbedded WiFi and I have a WiFi das camera and a new smart watch that uses Bluetooth. All of which has to be disconnected from the phone for it to be perfect.... gotta love 1st world problems.

if you’re gonna return it you only have 15 days. I’m way past that so I’m keeping it....
You should be fine on BT. It only uses it on the initial handshake and then switches to WiFi.

My Valentine 1 is connected to my phone via BT with the V1 Driver app, and I can still use it (it does interfere sometimes quickly unplugging the dongle and back in solves this) so I just manually connect the V1D app after CarPlay is up and running and they both work together w/o issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online