5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

stevestrike

Reaction score
Quick update: it doesn't look like the rear-seat #3 USB connector is Carplay enabled. I could not get it to work with the wireless dongle, or a direct connection to my phone. If anyone else has the #3 connection in the backseat can you confirm if you are able to get Carplay up by using that connection?

Looks like the dongle may have to live in the front console area

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
Quick update: it doesn't look like the rear-seat #3 USB connector is Carplay enabled. I could not get it to work with the wireless dongle, or a direct connection to my phone. If anyone else has the #3 connection in the backseat can you confirm if you are able to get Carplay up by using that connection?

Looks like the dongle may have to live in the front console area

Will be very easy to hide it. Here is my cord run under the dash for my phone mount.
30CCC115-8992-4FEA-BC0B-8FB62A7AB0D7.jpeg D749926C-D7F6-4ED0-BE83-0F7A7808AD58.jpeg

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
I was like, I don’t have that slot in top? But you don’t have the 12” screen so the dash must be different. Would be nice to tuck it in like that.

Watch the 15-16 minute mark of the video i linked below. This is where i got the idea from and he had the 12” screen.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Not sure what everyone is talking about, but there is no room for this device to hide. Here is where mine lives right now. I suppose some double-stick velcro would a allow you to put it "under" the head unit.
IMG_0684.jpg

RiskReward

Reaction score
Not sure what everyone is talking about, but there is no room for this device to hide. Here is where mine lives right now. I suppose some double-stick velcro would a allow you to put it "under" the head unit.
View attachment 46950

They make USB extenders. Just a female USB to make USB adapter/chord.

Based on this initial review I’m going to purchase and go that route. Will wire it similar to green68 and stick it behind the unit or stash it in the compartment I have where your CD Player is.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I found my first real bug, at least in terms of how Carplay is supposed to work. Not a deal-breaker, but interesting:

In the bottom panel, you can display your media. The wired version shows the correct info, and it's missing on the wireless version. It just doesn't show up--the screen says Carplay, but nothing is there.

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 46950
I think this is the slot they are talking about. I didn’t feel it but I took a picture of it. Didn’t think it would fit through that thin slot but I guess it does.

Attachments

• 49435E9C-A7C8-440E-B4A6-1DDF67623361.jpeg
    49435E9C-A7C8-440E-B4A6-1DDF67623361.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
I think this is the slot they are talking about. I didn’t feel it but I took a picture of it. Didn’t think it would fit through that thin slot but I guess it does.
Thank you. That is the exact slot i am referring too. You just have to go in from behind the dash/under radio and run the usb plug through.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Not sure how you guys plan to fit this into that slot, but I just don't see it happening.

Rebooted my phone and the media display issues went away. Really pretty solid for a beta product and I've been pleased with the performance thus far.

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
Not sure how you guys plan to fit this into that slot, but I just don't see it happening.

Rebooted my phone and the media display issues went away. Really pretty solid for a beta product and I've been pleased with the performance thus far.
Again, you will have to reach around behind the radio and dash from the panel that is pulls down on the driver side.

stevestrike

Reaction score
So anyone else take the plunge? I'd say I'm 90% happy with mine, and it's far exceeded what I expected based on the fact that it isn't really released for our trucks yet. For the most part, it's worked really well in my day-to-day use.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll just wait until they have it ready for out trucks. I mean, I’ve already have gone past a year without wireless CarPlay it man do I really want it. If the new infotainments come with it and it fits the current 12” opening of the 19 Ram, I’ll just buy that and swap it.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Would someone mind trying the USB #3 connection in the backseat and confirm if you are able to get Carplay up by using that connection?
Wired or wireless, it doesn't matter

Users who are viewing this thread