5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Carplay Connection issues

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried doing that a couple times. CarPlay “works” in as much as it plays music and shows apps and what not. The problem is mostly receiving and making calls as well as having Siri read text messages. I constantly have to restart the head unit to make it work.

My uconnect is supposedly up to date. It says there’s no updates. I need to look at the software version. My iOS is up to date and I’m using a 12 max pro.

I’m getting more and more frustrated every day that ticks by with no fix in site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t trust the Uconnect site for up to date versions. S21D5 is latest version which yours is probably running as you have a pretty new (date wise) truck. I’m a lucky one I guess as I dont have those issues. I do have other issues as others do with the weather, traffic and other features they haven’t released yet.

ajmasello81

Reaction score
Hey guys just picked up a 2022 ram 1500 last week, and I've been loving the wireless apple carplay. It usually works without fault most of the time, however I've noticed if I shut off my truck, leave my phone in the truck, come back maybe 5-10 mins later and start the truck will no longer connect to carplay. Device manager just shows "Connecting..". It's really frustrating because I end up having to remove my phone from device manager, forgetting the bluetooth on my phone and turning the truck off and on. That has worked for me a couple times, but today I couldn't get it to work after doing that process about 5 times. I tried connecting via lightning cable and it would just say "Connecting".

I spoke to my salesman, he said that's strange and I should come in and my truck might need a flash. I just wanted to know if anyone else has been experiencing this? I've noticed my wifi will stay connected to the truck and still not work..
Been having same issue with my 22’ laramie. Holding power/volume button down does a rest and should clear up this issue. Worked great for me. Hope this helps. Good luck!

TheSchmohawk

Reaction score
Been having same issue with my 22’ laramie. Holding power/volume button down does a rest and should clear up this issue. Worked great for me. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I have to use the power button reset at least 3-4 times a week. It’s unacceptable. I called ram connect services rather than waiting for them to contact me. I vented to them for a minute and they basically said their is a huge update “in the wind” right now and they are just waiting for approval to send it out. It will be “over air” I guess.

jchuchla

Reaction score
Please post back here if that big update comes out. I'm having frequent disconnects as well and it's been driving me crazy.

TheSchmohawk

Reaction score
Please post back here if that big update comes out. I'm having frequent disconnects as well and it's been driving me crazy.

Since the most recent iPhone update 15.2.1 I haven’t been having as many CarPlay issues. Also, Ram just called me today saying they think they fixed my Ram Connect Services. I’m going to test that out tomorrow.

jchuchla

Reaction score
There's so many services on these new trucks i get confused. What Ram Connect services are you referring to? What specifically wasn't working? Besides the carplay issues, the only other problem I've found is that I can't start my truck from the Alexa app. I can start it from the ios app though. It's not that big of a deal that the Alexa integration isn't working. But it would be nice to get that back.

TheSchmohawk

Reaction score
There's so many services on these new trucks i get confused. What Ram Connect services are you referring to? What specifically wasn't working? Besides the carplay issues, the only other problem I've found is that I can't start my truck from the Alexa app. I can start it from the ios app though. It's not that big of a deal that the Alexa integration isn't working. But it would be nice to get that back.

I was never able to activate my account from the Ram app on iOS or from the head unit within the truck. Something about a data error. It’s taken them over 2 months to fix it. I still haven’t even tested it yet to see if it is fixed. Not going to hold my breath.

The CarPlay issue could be related or a separate issue altogether. Siri works on and off, calls have no sound, and every other day the screen is ultra laggy within CarPlay until I restart the unit. Again, since 15.2.1 it’s been good. Not rigorously tested, but I’m able to hear other callers and they can hear me. That’s huge. Apple said it wasn’t them, but from the looks of it, it was them all along. 15.2.1 did mention that it was a fix for CarPlay compatibility with other devices or something like that.

jchuchla

Reaction score
I was never able to activate my account from the Ram app on iOS or from the head unit within the truck. Something about a data error. It’s taken them over 2 months to fix it. I still haven’t even tested it yet to see if it is fixed. Not going to hold my breath.

The CarPlay issue could be related or a separate issue altogether. Siri works on and off, calls have no sound, and every other day the screen is ultra laggy within CarPlay until I restart the unit. Again, since 15.2.1 it’s been good. Not rigorously tested, but I’m able to hear other callers and they can hear me. That’s huge. Apple said it wasn’t them, but from the looks of it, it was them all along. 15.2.1 did mention that it was a fix for CarPlay compatibility with other devices or something like that.

I just checked my phone and 15.2.1 was ready to install. So I'm doing that now. Hopefully it improves things.

It does seem like the carplay disconnects are more frequent when the phone is on the wireless charging pad than when it's in my pocket.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
Since the most recent iPhone update 15.2.1 I haven’t been having as many CarPlay issues. Also, Ram just called me today saying they think they fixed my Ram Connect Services. I’m going to test that out tomorrow.

I had the Ram Connected Services issue where I could add my truck to the app, but it said it was in process of adding the vehicle, but the vehicle was never added. It was about two weeks before they got it figured out, and now everything works as it should.

I have periodic issues with the Wireless Carplay not connecting. Yesterday was the first time that it did not connect and then 15 minute into my ride it all of the sudden picked it up. Most of the times it is all or nothing.

Hoping a software update to the Uconnect 5 system will cure this.

jchuchla

Reaction score
I upgraded to the 15.2.1 on the phone yesterday and had just as many disconnects today. No improvement here.

TheSchmohawk

Reaction score
I upgraded to the 15.2.1 on the phone yesterday and had just as many disconnects today. No improvement here.

Well ****. That sucks. My head unit was super slow this morning in CarPlay too but my connection was still functional… receiving calls and sending messages via Siri was fine. But the lag/freezing is still unacceptable.

Darmichar

Reaction score
I've been having similar issues with wireless CarPlay, it will start cutting out then progressively get worse until it finally just locks up and stops working. I had been going in and restarting the radio through the settings menu, but that would only fix it for about 10 minutes then it would start all over again.

Just saw that 15.2.1 was available for my phone. Installing it now and will see if that improves anything later today.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

My CarPlay has not worked since updated my phone.

I've been having similar issues with wireless CarPlay, it will start cutting out then progressively get worse until it finally just locks up and stops working. I had been going in and restarting the radio through the settings menu, but that would only fix it for about 10 minutes then it would start all over again.

Just saw that 15.2.1 was available for my phone. Installing it now and will see if that improves anything later today.
I’m running 15.3 with no wireless CarPlay issues. Before that only had a couple wireless CarPlay issues and was normally with the Waze app.

1EC05A17-F32E-4730-B56C-0CD37D5BAD38.jpeg

Darmichar

Reaction score
After the 15.2.1 update yesterday I did a fair bit of driving and it only cut out once. It wasn't like the previous times where the music would cut out though. The screen just stopped responding for about 45 seconds, then just magically started working again. The music continued playing the whole time.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Are you in the beta program? I'm not seeing that 15.3 has been released yet.
That I am. Public beta releases. Easy to join and I’ve never had any iPhone or iPad issues. I’ve been doing betas since iOS 11/12 versions.

From a website I follow. The company should release iOS 15.3 and iPadOS 15.3 for all compatible iPhones and iPads on Monday, 24 January or Tuesday, 25 January at around 10 a.m. PST/1 p.m.

Apple Beta Program

Last edited:

Darmichar

Reaction score
Have spent a little more time with this. The 15.2.1 update for iOS seems to have greatly improved the wireless connection of CarPlay. That said, the most recent OTA update for Uconnect is buggy AF. I believe someone said earlier that there is a big update coming. I'll wait for that, but the reliability of this system needs to improve a bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread