5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

window sticker says 33gal tank, but I think i have 26g?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've ran my 26 gallon tank down and drove about 30 mins after DTE read zero. Still only put 24.5 gallons in the tank. The DTE adjusts based on fuel mileage over the previous 50 miles or so. Which is why you can actually see miles added to your DTE if you start driving easy.
1682206203413.gif

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I've had the truck a little over 2 months now. Still haven't hit 1k miles (I have a very short commute, but still drive it everyday)
I've been topping off before I hit a half tank. Yes, I'm one of those peoples.
So I havent realized until today when I drove into the gas station with '20 miles to empty' on the screen. Filled the tank and it stopped somewhere at 26.2G. Tried going 2 more times before it would click off instantly with the pump.
Previous rams I could get about a gallon more above the actual tank size, maybe keeping some in the airspace or possibly fill tube.
Either way, there's some missing space here...
whats the possibility I got a 26g tank instead of 33g?
I did not pay for the upgrade to 33g. I regretted it after my september order, but quickly found out because of my bed size it might come standard anyways, and the window sticker reflected the 33g size when it went into production so I was happy.
How can I tell what actually is in the truck?
Yeah , I went through the same thing years ago when I got my truck in. Lifted the truck up at work (worked at a local Mopar dealer for a few years) and it was easy to see the tank was longer the standard tank.

I wanted the larger tank (along with the Highway gears) because I had planned on driving back and forth to Indiana (where I'm from) and wanted to make sure I was OK - compared to my older Malibu which could make it on 3/4 tank easy.

As stated, do not top off until the pump refuses to fill more - these filler necks and tanks it will cause a vapor lock and then you'll need to take it to the dealer. I may round up a bit once it shuts off, but I've learned no more than that (after having to replace multiple tanks full of fuel at the dealership).

I worked less than 3 blocks away from the dealership and was only getting around 8-9mpg. We (the other techs and I) drove my truck to lunch every day to get more mileage on it and get the battery state of charge (SOC) up - make sure you drive your vehicle more than 15-25 mins a day or you will be replacing batteries every year as well. Now I work at a local engineering business and that is 6 miles one way - no more battery issues, and my MPG is up over 12.5 now even in traffic lights.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ran mine below zero on the range with the needle below empty and still couldn’t get over 29.5 gallons. Must have a heck of a reserve or the fuel gage just isn’t accurate. Figure I have enough gas to go another 50 miles when it says I’m out.

On the bright side if you run out of gas with these trucks your really not paying attention and probably deserve to be stranded.
Filled up with 10 miles left on the range and needle was just below empty. Still can’t get over 30 gallons in my 33 gallon tank. Seems to be the norm with mine.

3DD4259B-FCAB-47F5-9E08-429B3394665A.jpeg

6of36

Reaction score
Even after the tank runs empty enough that the engine dies, there is probably 2 or more gallons in the tank. The pick up tube can only pick up so low in the tank.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Even after the tank runs empty enough that the engine dies, there is probably 2 or more gallons in the tank. The pick up tube can only pick up so low in the tank.
There is no way there is no way there are "2 or more" gallons of gas after the tank runs dry and shuts the engine off.

70runner

Reaction score
Drive home to SOCAL after picking truck up in Wash state, about 1200mi. Partly to verify I had correct 33gal tank as ordered, I ran until approaching empty with 850mi on odo (started at 10). Would have pushed further but was in a desolate stretch of I5. Pumped in approx 30gal. Check. Tend to keep tank at least 1/2 full since to minimize condensation and such.

6of36

Reaction score
Is my math off $3 10 per gallon?
I recently took a trip to Houston, and actually saw less than $3 a gallon. I just checked Gasbuddy, since typing my first sentence, and one of my favorites saved, for a common trip I take, is $2.97 in Auburn Hills, Mi.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently took a trip to Houston, and actually saw less than $3 a gallon. I just checked Gasbuddy, since typing my first sentence, and one of my favorites saved, for a common trip I take, is $2.97 in Auburn Hills, Mi.

Your math isn’t off. If I go one county over to the metro area that sells reformulated gas it’s $3.49.
We’re around $3.59 in the Tampa Bay area.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Why hasn't anyone said "You need gas on the tank to keep the pump from overheating and burning up"? Like the parts in gas vapor are going to get hot and melt without catastrophic conciquences.

I just tend to hear this in every thread like this.

Kevinn

Reaction score
Why hasn't anyone said "You need gas on the tank to keep the pump from overheating and burning up"? Like the parts in gas vapor are going to get hot and melt without catastrophic conciquences.

I just tend to hear this in every thread like this.
haha I've honestly never heard this one. kinda surprised honestly.
I think most of the population runs less than half tank anyways so im sure if this was a concern it would be all over the boards 😄

Insanity

Reaction score
I think most of the population runs less than half tank anyways so im sure if this was a concern it would be all over the boards 😄

Its a old one that I have herd many times that you will experience pump failure sooner if you don't keep it submerged in the fuel. The reason is it keeps the pump cooler thus making it last longer. I have also been "educated" that it will also keep the pump from igniting the fuel tank.

FWIW the fuel pump in my pos s10 was replaced at 170k. In a O'reilly's parking lot with the bed completely off and laying in the grass.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The argument that gas cools the pump is in a bunch of threads in this forum. It is hilarious as some think that is the reason you have more gas when it reads empty.

If you've read many of my posts I can stir them up by tying that to something equally as ridiculous like fuel pump life being tied to gear ratios. 😆

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The long time industry standard has been roughly 3 gallons of fuel remaining when the DTE hits 0. They program this in on purpose as a safety buffer because there are so many people who run it to the ragged edge before refueling.

Now, from truck to truck you may have some differences in calculating DTE that could cause you to have 1 gallon remaining (had a truck like that once) or 5 gallons remaining (seems to be the case on my 5th Gen Ram) but the bottom line is they purposefully want the “empty” signal on the dash to be false because it prevents the driver from actually running out of fuel unless they’re a complete idiot. I personally like the way it’s set up. My Ram, Toyota, Ford, and Nissan trucks have all been this way and I try to avoid GM like the plague but I’ve unfortunately had a couple of those as well and they’re similar.

Also, I’ve had my 33 gallon tank truck for over 11,000 miles now and I’ve never seen 30 gallons go back into it. I think 28.5 is the most I’ve ever put in, even after running on the “low fuel” light for a while.

Dschmid37

Reaction score
I always assumed it was in case there is any water in the fuel. Water sinks to the bottom of the tank because it's heavier than gasoline. Airplanes have a valve in the bottom of the tank that gets opened before every flight to drain any water that has collected in the bottom of the tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread