5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

Rottonrob

Reaction score
Thanks for the star number . Gave it to the service manager and they opened a STAR case for it. Ended up updating the PCM and TCM . So we will see if it works. Again thanks, the dealer had. No idea there was a. STAR CASE. Is there anymore updates for my truck ? THANKS

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Thanks for the star number . Gave it to the service manager and they opened a STAR case for it. Ended up updating the PCM and TCM . So we will see if it works. Again thanks, the dealer had. No idea there was a. STAR CASE. Is there anymore updates for my truck ? THANKS
Did they say how updating those modules could effect the noise? I don't really see the connection.

Sdultra

Reaction score
Yes it probably would work to just add seam sealer. If you look at my pics, you can see a small hole in between the two layers of metal. We covered that whole seam and the driver side area with masking tape and were able to make the noise go away. I just shaved the original off just to make dang SURE it was sealed.

I thought for sure it was the windshield making the noise! With the plastic cowl panel off, I could tape over the channel on the bottom of the glass and make the noise change/go away. What I found out is that the plastic cowl panel changes the direction of air flow inside the plenum and that's why sometimes it sounds like the noise is on either side pillar/corners or coing from the dash area. The recirc button changes the sound because of the change in air pressure.

We were actually able to have one person take a blow gun and blow air around in the plenum towards the driver side and the other person could feel very very faint air movement inside the vehicle in the bottom corner of the drivers side dash area. We sealed up the plenum seams and never had a noise again!!!! AMEN
Did you do this on your own, or with dealer service assistance?

Strongcong

Reaction score
Is this what everyone is hearing?
I have same issue, plus Ambient sensor replaced few months back. Now this morning 37 degrees outside and truck saying it’s 59 so instead of seat warmer the seat cooler comes on. This truck is garbage. Breaks squealing. Took them 4 attempts at replacing to fix that. High pitch telegraph/Morse code noise in windy conditions. Keyless entry was not working Had to replace part. Truck jumping at stop lights...had to take in for transmission “update”. Radio/anything sound related randomly quits putting out sound. Have to turn truck off n back on to get it to work. It’s random. No fix for that. Been told numerous times since I bought in September 2018 that update coming for that. Still nothing. Transmission went into manual mode n had to turn truck off in middle of road n turn back on to get that working right.(zen middle of traffic...thank god was on side road w just a few cars as my family was in truck. They told me I hit the manual button to do that. Done it a couple times randomly so not buying that I pushed that. The list goes on....taken truck in 11-12 times(doesn’t include the times they have told me “waiting for update coming”...BS) in little over a year for issues. Worst decision/investment I’ve ever made purchasing this truck. It’s horrible. They/FCA only want to offer me a few grand for all these things issues. Thus is a garbage truck with a company who cares less as they already got 47-48k of my money. Had to have back up camera replaced as the screen would go blank screen blue randomly. Put a ton down to keep payments minimal. Dodge 2019...if anyone thinking about purchasing run the other way. Buy a GMC. They know how to make luxury trucks. Dodge has sailed failed on every level miserably.

fyrmedic

Reaction score
I have the whistling noise. 2019 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side but I cannot be sure. No sun roof, no tow mirrors. It sounds like a tea kettle whistle when water boils. I know I am going way back.:) It starts at 70 MPH when I have a cross wind. It has only done it on East/ West highways. This is definitely a different sound than wind noise. It is very loud and can not be covered up by increasing radio volume. I had to deal with it for 6 hours on a trip back from Phoenix to my home in CA.
I know if I take it back to the dealer they will not be able to reproduce the noise. That is their standard answer for most issues. You have to have a cross wind and be doing at least 70 MPH.
There are a lot of pages on this thread and I have not read all the posts. Sorry if these questions have been answered.

Is this happening in 4x4, 2x4 equipped or both?
Which trim levels?
Standard mirrors, tow mirrors or both?
Thanks John

gpantaleon

Reaction score
Just came back from a road trip ( Bay Area to LA) and had this happen. Had to listen to the tea kettle whistle noise for a good 2-3 hours. Most annoying f#*ing thing EVER! Had to have my wife and daughter put on headphones so they wouldn’t have to deal with it. Definitely unacceptable for a $50-$60K truck. I’m on the same boat like a lot of you with all the other issues as well. FCA needs to get it together and solve all these issues. I’ve had my truck for a year and I’m almost to the breaking point of getting rid of it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just came back from a road trip ( Bay Area to LA) and had this happen. Had to listen to the tea kettle whistle noise for a good 2-3 hours. Most annoying f#*ing thing EVER! Had to have my wife and daughter put on headphones so they wouldn’t have to deal with it. Definitely unacceptable for a $50-$60K truck. I’m on the same boat like a lot of you with all the other issues as well. FCA needs to get it together and solve all these issues. I’ve had my truck for a year and I’m almost to the breaking point of getting rid of it.

Hi gpantaleon,

I sincerely apologize that you are also experiencing this concern with your truck. Please know that we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support if you decide to address this with your dealer. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Chieffreeze

Reaction score
The same thing has happened to me. I was driving around 70 with strong crosswinds and the windshield started humming. My wife that I was getting warnings due to the vehicle next to me but it was the wind. It lasted for the rest of the trip. First it was the back window whistling and now this. And now my windshield wipers rain sensing is horrible. They are constantly on or not at all. I had to turn the rain sensing off. Less than 3K miles. The 2010 Tundra I traded in had none of these problems. So frustrated!

MF2020

Reaction score
Anybody had this issue or had it fixed, there is a noticeable wind noise starts at 40 miles and keep increasing with speed on the driver side !
Yes, I believe I have this noise as well. My 2011 Ram was definitely much more quiet. I am interested to know what the fix for this is.

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
Pretty sure I know the wind noise you are talking about. I have the same noise but it sounds like it comes from both sides most noticeable on the drivers side because you're closer to it. It's not like the type of noise you get from a leaking seal like when a window is partially cracked or a door isn't full closed. It sounds mores like air turbulence outside of the truck I think it's the sound of the of air passing over the mirrors, it's loud enough to hear inside of the cabin with the radio off and AC down low. The first time I noticed it I was on the freeway with the radio off 75 MPH, I though maybe it was just because it was windy out. But I've noticed that it starts at about 45 mph and gets louder the faster you go even when the air is dead still out. The only other way I could describe it, It's like being in the vehicle whiles its parked and its extremely windy outside and you can hear the wind passing over the vehicle. Is this like the wind noise you're hearing?

I want to try masking the joints of the side mirror with painters tape to see if that helps, just keep sealing cracks and slots until I find the culprit then come up with a more permanent fix once I locate it.

Do you have the tow mirrors? because the sound you are describing is what i experience in my 2019 Laramie

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the tow mirrors? because the sound you are describing is what i experience in my 2019 Laramie
Nope, I have the regular power fold mirrors. The exterior wind noise on this truck is horrible above 60 MPH, worst I have experienced on any vehicle I've owned in the last 15 years.

xzombiex66

Reaction score
Mine goes in next Monday for the tea kettle whistle. Dealership claims there's a fox and requires taking dash apart...not thrilled about that at all. Mine sounds like it's coming from the windshield area gets louder when turning recirculation on. Also when recirc is turned on I get a whirling sound from as well. It almost sounds like the seal from the door that lets fresh air in is not right or the door itself it defective.. hopefully they get it resolved without creating more rattles and sounds in my dash. I'm not sure what taking parts of my dash entails at all but would love to know.

MichelBP88

Reaction score
There is also loose trim along the bottom corner glass near the pillar. My wind noise only arises when there is a strong cross wind. SMH
Where exactly is this ?
I have some wind noise when I'm driving around 70+ and or if there is heavy wind guest !

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
my wind noise sounds like the top part of the door is actually pulling away from the truck and sounds like wind gets inside the door jam.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Well add me to the list. I went up and down the intersate yesterday doing a test. The noise is at the drivers side window and starts at 68MPH and peaks about 74 MPH. Very annoying. I expect the usual "it's normal" routine from my dealer. Starting to wish I had my cherry 2007 F150 back.

MichelBP88

Reaction score
I got mine fixed I attached some foam Nader the weather sealing and it worked !
I will take a picture later.
It doesn’t look pretty but it works first try I might need to make it look pretty :)

Users who are viewing this thread