5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

PTRAM

Reaction score
Question---I just talked to my Service manager and inquired about adjusting the door to see if that would maybe get rid of the wind noise I am hearing as I drive just above my left ear. He said to bring it in tomorrow morning and have the body shop take a look at it or he would do it himself. He also said he has done many himself (he is probably in his late 50s so not an novice). Now to the question, has anybody had their door adjusted and it stopped the wind noise in the area I am talking about or have you read about anybody doing it on this thread. (I can't take time to read the entire thread again) Thanks for any input.

Kooda

Reaction score
Read every post in this thread because apparently I have strong wind noise on the passenger side above 35mph. I have some hearing loss in my right ear due to an over-zealous firearms student, and never noticed anything myself. Yesterday my nephew, who is as particular as me, noticed it immediately. It's not a whistle or Morse some write about, but definitely turbulent flow on the passenger side. Mirrors folded made no difference. Will try the recirc. Doors are well aligned in jambs and seals intact without deformation. We are going to try taping seams and joints to pinpoint where because a little pressure on the rear passenger door glass helped, but did not stop entirely. Unfortunately, weather isn't going to allow this any time soon.

Sounds like the noise that I was experiencing on the passenger side window. Two trips to the service department and I think they have it fixed. I told them it sounded like the window needed to be adjusted, as I had a passenger push slightly on the upper front edge of the glass and the noise was considerably worse. If I were to push on the glass on the exact same place on the driver's window there is zero wind noise.
1st trip to the dealer and they installed a new door seal and it may have in fact been a contributing factor, but the wind noise was still there. Explained the problem again on the second visit and expressed my dissatisfaction. The service tech said they had to adjust the window tract on the door, it needed to be adjusted so the window made more contact with the seal.

Hope this information helps the folks that are having an issue with wind noise coming the widows.

Last edited:

slimchance

Reaction score
My Rebel always seems very quiet but I rarely drive near 80.....I am wondering if the 2 different hood styles act differently in wind stream in cowl area. My Rebel has the "sport hood" with the extra simulated vents on each side and a center rear grill looking vent trim piece of black plastic, and non Rebels have the regular hood with different emblem location and mainly smooth sheet metal. Are members with both hood designs experiencing this noise? :unsure:
my wife's Ram has sports hood, tow mirrors and sport package, she has whistle above 40 mph on left front ... my Ram does not have sports hood, has tow mirrors and chrome package, i do not have the whistle ... hers is prettier and mine is quieter

Adrianp89

Reaction score
No luck on trip to dealer for whistle noise. They adjusted some AC actuators? Anyways says they couldn't do anymore testing because I was low on gas, which was pretty annoying. Use your own gas. Probably won't bring it back for that issue until a fix is found.

PTRAM

Reaction score
No luck on trip to dealer for whistle noise. They adjusted some AC actuators? Anyways says they couldn't do anymore testing because I was low on gas, which was pretty annoying. Use your own gas. Probably won't bring it back for that issue until a fix is found.

I didn't take mine today as not enough sleep last night (retired so can sleep in if necessary). I called to the Body Shop and the manager was not going to be there today so I will maybe take it next week. My wind noise is slight but still annoying. My service manager said he usually lets the Body Shop handle this kind of issue but I actually trust him so if he thinks it is a minor door set adjustment, would rather for him to do it. Mine is not a whistle noise at this point.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I didn't take mine today as not enough sleep last night (retired so can sleep in if necessary). I called to the Body Shop and the manager was not going to be there today so I will maybe take it next week. My wind noise is slight but still annoying. My service manager said he usually lets the Body Shop handle this kind of issue but I actually trust him so if he thinks it is a minor door set adjustment, would rather for him to do it. Mine is not a whistle noise at this point.

I think a mod should take some time and split this thread up into each of the different noises. From my understanding there are three issues in this thread.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Learned a couple of things today at my dealer about wind noise. Oh, first, off topic--I checked my VIN yesterday and had a RECALL on it. I think they just came out yesterday--he checked the battery cables to make sure I wouldn't lose my power steering. Took about 15 seconds for that. Now for what I learned today (1) The door will not adjust to move it in 1/16 of an inch as it will not move at all. There is no movement and he said the body shop would have to set it up and "tilt" the door. That is not going to happen!! (2) I asked him about putting silicone on the rubber and said he was not going to do that as that would damage the rubber. . But then about a minute later he said he had something to apply on the rubber on top of the frame side and not on the door--hope that is clear. He had a little bottle of something and he put it on across the top of the frame where the top of the door would be once shut. He said I would not see it and I don't. But, of all things, it seemed to help and there it seemed to cut it so there is very little wind noise now. I checked it out going 73 MPH for about 15 miles and it did seem to help quite a bit. I don't seem to hear it at all now going at 35 to 45 MPH so I hope this will continue.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Learned a couple of things today at my dealer about wind noise. Oh, first, off topic--I checked my VIN yesterday and had a RECALL on it. I think they just came out yesterday--he checked the battery cables to make sure I wouldn't lose my power steering. Took about 15 seconds for that. Now for what I learned today (1) The door will not adjust to move it in 1/16 of an inch as it will not move at all. There is no movement and he said the body shop would have to set it up and "tilt" the door. That is not going to happen!! (2) I asked him about putting silicone on the rubber and said he was not going to do that as that would damage the rubber. . But then about a minute later he said he had something to apply on the rubber on top of the frame side and not on the door--hope that is clear. He had a little bottle of something and he put it on across the top of the frame where the top of the door would be once shut. He said I would not see it and I don't. But, of all things, it seemed to help and there it seemed to cut it so there is very little wind noise now. I checked it out going 73 MPH for about 15 miles and it did seem to help quite a bit. I don't seem to hear it at all now going at 35 to 45 MPH so I hope this will continue.

What noise did you have? Whistle at high speeds that went with recirc?

PTRAM

Reaction score
What noise did you have? Whistle at high speeds that went with recirc?

My wind noise has no whistle and would not change with recirc--but the head tech told one other time if it went away with recirc on that I would have a severe leakage somewhere. Can't remember what he said this would indicate but remember him saying that--sorry, I can't be more help.

Jwhart

Reaction score
Jwhart, Yes that is the exact same noise that we're dealing with.

As far as taping up part of the cowl vent panel, I was only referring to doing it temporary on a road test just to try to help isolate and pin point the cause of the noise. I fully understand that the vehicle needs the air flow in the cabin and was not implying at all to do it as an actual permanent repair.

Has anyone with the same noise posted by Jwhart's video been able to make it go away with the "back of the cab seals" that people are talking about? (Or is the back of the cab seals a different noise?)

Yeah, I just wanted to know if it was the same so maybe the dealership could focus on that area.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
@admin Please break this thread up so solutions can be easily found for each of the three different wind noises.

Tom peluso

Reaction score
Try this to see if you have the same sound that I've figured out I have. When your driving on the highway about 100kmh change from recirc on the climate control and then back to fresh air. Mine completely goes away on fresh and I hear it on recirculating. Really strange....
Mine is opposite. Turn on recirc and noise disappears. With recirc off the cabin pressure is pushing out doors slightly but enough to let wind noise be an issue. An air balance issue that someone has to figure out. Also in winter you cannot run with recirc on as it fogs up windows I a few minutes also manual recommends not running recirc unless it’s in conjunction wit AC. I turned on my recirc several times to verify what I found and the recirc automatically shuts off after a few minutes.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I just talked to my head tech and he is going to order me new weather strips for door and body on the driver's side and see if that solves the problem.

Ryncody

Reaction score
I'm having issues when my front windows are opened half way, I get a real bad turbulence, like when u open the back window without a front window open, hurts my head so badly, is this anyone else issue too??.
2019 ram 1500 black out edition.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I'm having issues when my front windows are opened half way, I get a real bad turbulence, like when u open the back window without a front window open, hurts my head so badly, is this anyone else issue too??.
2019 ram 1500 black out edition.

I think that’s pretty normal. It’s second nature to me to crack the back windows when I open my window. And I don’t mean this truck, I mean all my vehicles for the last twenty years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryncody

Reaction score
I think that’s pretty normal. It’s second nature to me to crack the back windows when I open my window. And I don’t mean this truck, I mean all my vehicles for the last twenty years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always had to crack the front window when opening the back on my last few classic body rams, but this is a first for me to hear/feel this when just the front window is opened. And of course I have some air i hear coming from back passenger door, that I'm gonna get checked out

Jwhart

Reaction score
Just got word that my truck should have new mirrors tomorrow. Hoping that fixes it. I'll post once I've been able to test it.

geotex1

Reaction score
Sounds like the noise that I was experiencing on the passenger side window. Two trips to the service department and I think they have it fixed. I told them it sounded like the window needed to be adjusted, as I had a passenger push slightly on the upper front edge of the glass and the noise was considerably worse. If I were to push on the glass on the exact same place on the driver's window there is zero wind noise.
1st trip to the dealer and they installed a new door seal and it may have in fact been a contributing factor, but the wind noise was still there. Explained the problem again on the second visit and expressed my dissatisfaction. The service tech said they had to adjust the window tract on the door, it needed to be adjusted so the window made more contact with the seal.

Hope this information helps the folks that are having an issue with wind noise coming the widows.

It's been warm here in PA last couple of days. I broke out the green masking tape, and with my wife's two good ears seem to have traced the majority of the wind noise to a passenger side window seal and a door seal. Clear sloppy fit of the window seal, but door seal looks ok so speculate maybe it's not compressing enough. When my wife forcibly held the door more tightly closed the noise was reduced. To me, that's a latch/striker adjustment. Will leave all to dealer, but will bring the tape with me and ride with the SM.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I just talked to my head tech and he is going to order me new weather strips for door and body on the driver's side and see if that solves the problem.

I had the door and body weather strips installed yesterday on the driver,s side front door where I was hearing the slight wind noise. It eliminated it and hope it stays away now.

PTRAM

Reaction score

I did some inquiring about your whistle noise with my service manager and he said if your front door does not set out a little further than your back door it could possibly cause a whistle noise between the two doors. I had told him my doors did not match exactly between the front and back door with my front door just a little out of line with the back door and he told me the reason why they were like that. That is probably not clear so here is a way to test that. I just take one finger and pull it across the front door and there should be a very slight drop going to the back door. On reverse from back to front, there should be just a little "hump" you can feel going from back to front. I just checked my Jeep Cherokee and those doors also had this very slight difference when giving it the finger test. It is very slight but I think I could see that maybe causing a "whistle" if they were just the opposite. This may sound ridiculous but a service writer told me that first and then the manager also said that. Again a big maybe and I may not be understanding your noise--so if it is way off base-sorry-just trying to help.

Users who are viewing this thread