5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

JCC

Reaction score
Here's a pic of where I put black gorilla tape across the bottom of the windshield with the cowl panel off. (I was using masking tape while testing) The whistle noise went away completely for me with the tape on. The bad news is the cowl panel as it is, can not be installed with the tape on. We had the old cowl panel here and modified it by means of grinding off the tab that goes into the channel and installing double sided tape on it. That way so we could at least put the cowl back on. As soon as I installed the modified cowl panel, the noise came back. My next attempt is to cover the inlet vent of the cowl panel on the passanger side with tape to see if that will help cut down or change the wind direction going into the cowl.

They clearly have an issue with the way the air enters the cowl vent panel and the design of how the vent panel secures to the windshield. On a test drive with the cowl vent panel off the noise was still there. Taped up the vent panel mounting channel, noise was gone, unmask it, noise came back!

Attachments

• IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 259

NDanecker

Reaction score
I am sure most people know this but those vents are required to keep a constant flow of fresh air (front to back) in the cabin. I would NOT block or think about taping up those holes.

I am also missing the rubber piece as my truck was mfg in 12/2018. Ordered one online and will advise if it helps after I get it installed. I am guessing it will help keep the pressure balanced to prevent those vents from getting sucked open, and to keep some road noise down being that it is a barrier.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where exactly is the rear window seal you mention?
The seal I am referring to is not related to the rear window. At the rear of the outside of cab at the bottom near frame (looking down space between cab and cargo box) some trucks have a rubber seal about 4' long mounted horizontally that blocks you from seeing the ground and helps reduce road noise from carrying back through the air pressure release vents on back lower cab wall.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a pic of where I put black gorilla tape across the bottom of the windshield with the cowl panel off. (I was using masking tape while testing) The whistle noise went away completely for me with the tape on. The bad news is the cowl panel as it is, can not be installed with the tape on. We had the old cowl panel here and modified it by means of grinding off the tab that goes into the channel and installing double sided tape on it. That way so we could at least put the cowl back on. As soon as I installed the modified cowl panel, the noise came back. My next attempt is to cover the inlet vent of the cowl panel on the passanger side with tape to see if that will help cut down or change the wind direction going into the cowl.

They clearly have an issue with the way the air enters the cowl vent panel and the design of how the vent panel secures to the windshield. On a test drive with the cowl vent panel off the noise was still there. Taped up the vent panel mounting channel, noise was gone, unmask it, noise came back!
My Rebel always seems very quiet but I rarely drive near 80.....I am wondering if the 2 different hood styles act differently in wind stream in cowl area. My Rebel has the "sport hood" with the extra simulated vents on each side and a center rear grill looking vent trim piece of black plastic, and non Rebels have the regular hood with different emblem location and mainly smooth sheet metal. Are members with both hood designs experiencing this noise? :unsure:

Last edited:

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
I’m getting an annoying road noise from the backside/ rear window area of the rear seats. I just had my brother drive me around while I sat in the back and **** noise is coming thru. Noise can be heard even a 10 mph. I used my phone to record the noise but dont know if anyone can tell a difference.

@NoRamForUconnect Where you getting this noise? I'll be placing some tape tomorrow to see if road noise is gone.

I was getting a wind noise around the slider, tape cleared that and forced the dealer to seal my rear window, I was also getting road noise from the air vents on the cab wall behind the seats i put towels in front of them and at base of the rear seat and cab has been quiet. This weekend I took out the towels from the vents and installed a seal at the base of the cab between the bed and cab, still pretty quiet but not as good as when the towels were in front of the vents. Towels were causing weird issues with pressure in the cab though. I also discovered both passenger windows the vertical weatherstripping in not laying flat on the glass they cupping look like air scoops and this causes some air to leak around the edges of the glass, going to bring it back to the dealer AGAIN for this issue.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The seal I am referring to is not related to the rear window. At the rear of the outside of cab at the bottom near frame (looking down space between cab and cargo box) some trucks have a rubber seal about 4' long mounted horizontally that blocks you from seeing the ground and helps reduce road noise from carrying back through the air pressure release vents on back lower cab wall.
I have the horizontal seal but no seals around rear window.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look down the gap between cab and box towards ground and see if you have the horizontal 4' rubber seal across bottom of opening. Apparently the trucks built after a certain date don't have this seal. It blocks the road noise from being heard through those vents. My Rebel built in July 18 has this rubber seal as well as the side gap vertical seals and is very quiet. Some members are ordering the seal and adding it. This topic is in earlier posts on cab noise threads also. Hope this helps. Some members had missing rear window sealer also.
I have an August build and dont have any rubber seals along the sides of rear window. Is there supposed to be something there that I'm missing?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Around the edge of the glass. I know my GMC had it.
So your picture shows no rubber gasket (sealer) around the rear window correct? Mine looks like your picture so I guess we are both missing something?

JLUR_

Reaction score
So your picture shows no rubber gasket (sealer) around the rear window correct? Mine looks like your picture so I guess we are both missing something?

That's how the rear window is supposed to look. There's no externally-visible window gasket.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's how the rear window is supposed to look. There's no externally-visible window gasket.
That's what I thought. Glad to know I'm not missing something. It's just the glass with no rubber gasket or visible rubber strip.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an August build and dont have any rubber seals along the sides of rear window. Is there supposed to be something there that I'm missing?
All the seals that I was referring to are in the gap between cab and box. Looking at side of truck there is a vertical seal that closes gap so you can't look through to other side. Same on the other side. Then some but not all trucks have a horizontal seal that is across bottom of that same cab/box gap that you look down to see. All of this is below back window . Un related to window but possible noise source through cab rear air vents.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All the seals that I was referring to are in the gap between cab and box. Looking at side of truck there is a vertical seal that closes gap so you can't look through to other side. Same on the other side. Then some but not all trucks have a horizontal seal that is across bottom of that same cab/box gap that you look down to see. All of this is below back window . Un related to window but possible noise source through cab rear air vents.
Gotcha. I have the horizontal between cab and bed but have to confirm vertical seals. Thanks.

Jwhart

Reaction score

Just for clarity, was the noise you heard the same as what's in this video?
Seems to be multiple noises and causes being discussed. I'd love to share your findings with my dealership if they are the same.

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
The odd wind noise I am having comes randomly from the passenger window and only last for a minute or two and the randomly sounds like it seals itself back up to all quiet again

Thoughts ?

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have the horizontal seal but no seals around rear window.

I have the horizontal seal on mine and a May 18 build and wonder if they took it off after making the production change to improve the over lap safety. The IIHS safety report says for vehicles made after July 2018--think that is correct.

JCC

Reaction score
Jwhart, Yes that is the exact same noise that we're dealing with.

As far as taping up part of the cowl vent panel, I was only referring to doing it temporary on a road test just to try to help isolate and pin point the cause of the noise. I fully understand that the vehicle needs the air flow in the cabin and was not implying at all to do it as an actual permanent repair.

Has anyone with the same noise posted by Jwhart's video been able to make it go away with the "back of the cab seals" that people are talking about? (Or is the back of the cab seals a different noise?)

pojv

Reaction score
Jwhart,
You have captured the exact noice I hear also.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread