5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so slow?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This conversation has made my eyes glaze over. Why are we talking about 1/4 mile times and how fast a **** pickup truck is? This is crazy and absurd to me.
I made the switch to Ram because of the engine. Call me crazy but I like the fact this engine is still a strong block, with a traditional old school cam, rockers and pushrods, and none of the direct injection mess that leads to carbon build up in the heads. Just a simple, tried and true and powerful engine. No turbos or intercoolers to worry about.

I'm in agreement with you. I won't blow smoke up anyone's a** and pretend off the line speed isn't fun to have, but I personally didn't get my truck primarily with "muh stoplight to stoplight racing" as a top 3 objective.
Though I do 100% understand the guys who want to mod their vehicles to better achieve that.

I personally think that if you want a king of stoplight-UFC, they make chargers, challengers, and even suped up Cherokees and Durangos for that. In a truck, I prefer overall simplicity, ease of maintenance, longevity. Heck if I could order this same 5th gen truck without start/stop I would do so without hesitating.

I think a truck shouldn't have an air dam at all. I think it should have damn good ground clearance and factory 33in All-Terrain tires with a lift. It should have a simple(ish) motor for its time period that says V8 on it with a displacement of over 5L, and it should sound every bit of it. The bed should not be made out of jello, packing peanuts, or astronaut food. It should be durable without heavily counting on a bedliner for structural integrity, no matter how many fanboys tell me it's fine and their groceries won't puncture it. I don't want to think about it at all.
It should have enough space for me, my tools, a girlfriend, and some kids one day, god willing.
The bottom should have some skidplates.
The grille should look unapologetically tough in an era where vehicle styling is homogeneous.
And I should be able to hop into a nicely equipped one for less than $60,000 though I will not knock anyone who paid more than that, you spend your money how you please!

Thankfully for me, Ram makes something I personally want. Chevy is close with their trailboss. The GMC AT4 is nice but I like how the Ram looks better.
And Ford is eating crayons in the corner.

Phoon

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with you. I won't blow smoke up anyone's a** and pretend off the line speed isn't fun to have, but I personally didn't get my truck primarily with "muh stoplight to stoplight racing" as a top 3 objective.
Though I do 100% understand the guys who want to mod their vehicles to better achieve that.

I personally think that if you want a king of stoplight-UFC, they make chargers, challengers, and even suped up Cherokees and Durangos for that. In a truck, I prefer overall simplicity, ease of maintenance, longevity. Heck if I could order this same 5th gen truck without start/stop I would do so without hesitating.

I think a truck shouldn't have an air dam at all. I think it should have **** good ground clearance and factory 33in All-Terrain tires with a lift. It should have a simple(ish) motor for its time period that says V8 on it with a displacement of over 5L, and it should sound every bit of it. The bed should not be made out of jello, packing peanuts, or astronaut food. It should be durable without heavily counting on a bedliner for structural integrity, no matter how many fanboys tell me it's fine and their groceries won't puncture it. I don't want to think about it at all.
It should have enough space for me, my tools, a girlfriend, and some kids one day, god willing.
The bottom should have some skidplates.
The grille should look unapologetically tough in an era where vehicle styling is homogeneous.
And I should be able to hop into a nicely equipped one for less than $60,000 though I will not knock anyone who paid more than that, you spend your money how you please!

Thankfully for me, Ram makes something I personally want. Chevy is close with their trailboss. The GMC AT4 is nice but I like how the Ram looks better.
And Ford is eating crayons in the corner.
sounds like you are the perfect customer for the Rebel! Base model trucks with the best motor and drive train available appeal to me, simple and less to go wrong, they also look great with smaller wheels and big tires. Then i remember how much i like my keyless entry, remote start and heated seats and wheel :) My non e-torque hemi has no start stop by the way... i think the only start stop trucks are the ones with e-torque.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sounds like you are the perfect customer for the Rebel! Base model trucks with the best motor and drive train available appeal to me, simple and less to go wrong, they also look great with smaller wheels and big tires. Then i remember how much i like my keyless entry, remote start and heated seats and wheel :) My non e-torque hemi has no start stop by the way... i think the only start stop trucks are the ones with e-torque.

Darn right, the rebel brought me to the Ram brand, I've stayed ever since!

The diversity of the 1/2ton segment is awesome.
Want vinyl floors and a 6th seat? They've got you. Want a moonroof that goes pretty much allllll the way from the front to the back? They got you. Want truck boxes, integrated into the bed, 2 of them, that unlock with your Fob? Oh and they put an outlet in one? They've got you.
Not interested? They've got you too.
22in wheels that look custom, from the factory? Ram makes it. True all terrain tires on an 18in wheel because: Your zombie Apocalypse survival plan demands it? Ram makes it.

And unlike GM who makes you get a higher trim package to get their big V8?
Ram will sell you a 5.7 V8 in just about everything.

"Oh man, Ram, the guys who brought the 1/2ton diesel back to market, don't offer enough little gas engines with turbos on them!" Perhaps so, right now maybe they don't. But...
*Meanwhile they will sell you their premium V8 engine in everything they make*

Bullred

Reaction score
I understand your point. It's valid. But for folks like me, I'm always interested in acceleration, not necessarily speed, but acceleration. I have a couple fast cars when I want that adrenaline rush. What tickles me about these trucks (be it Ram, GM, Ford) is they all outrun or at least run with sport cars from 20yrs ago that were considered quick. That's progress in a big way! As for the Hemi itself, it's a good motor, but it does have it's problems. Cam & lifter warranty replacements are common. I got away from GM because I was concerned with the potential headaches of the new at the time DI. Maybe there are none, but once I got in the Ram, I just haven't had a reason to go back.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
we care about how fast they are, because they are our daily drivers . I use mine how people used to use full size sedans, but with the added capability to tow and haul large loads. To fill this role it needs to be comfortable, spacious, fun and quick. It is very fun to keep up with hot hatches in a big truck! You cant really buy rwd, v8 cars anymore so trucks it is! I think this hasnt watered down trucks at all, trucks have never been able to tow as much as they can now, and have never had as many configurations to chose from and tailor to your needs... un-loaded speed also helps when you are trying to drive up a steep grade with a heavy load...

Let's see.... Mustang GT, Roush Mustang, Corvette, Corvette Z06, Camaro ZL1, Camaro SS, Mustang GT 350 and soon the GT 500 again, Challenger, Charger....... Shall I go on? All V-8's and all pretty dang fast. Way faster than pickups.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You cant really buy rwd, v8 cars anymore so trucks it is!
You meaning this as in being able to tow...cause i am pretty sure FCA has a pretty extensive list of V8 rear wheel drive cars. Actually they don't even make a front wheel drive car at present.

I do agree with the truck taking on the role of station wagon, which is unfortunate as it has driven the price off pickups way up.

But threads like these show Dodge and Rsm are doing the right thing by exploiting the Hellcat...people want power...even in their trusty ole pickup truck.

Phoon

Reaction score
Let's see.... Mustang GT, Roush Mustang, Corvette, Corvette Z06, Camaro ZL1, Camaro SS, Mustang GT 350 and soon the GT 500 again, Challenger, Charger....... Shall I go on? All V-8's and all pretty dang fast. Way faster than pickups.
I meant full size, i wasnt very clear. I love the charger and challenger but although they are larger than the mustang and camaro they dont have anything like the space of a crew cab ram. Short of a CT6 or s-class/ 7 series rwd, v8 and big back seat are hard to come by. It is widely acknowledged that sedans are becoming less common and trucks as trucks and suv's take over.

Agitated

Reaction score
Well I for one like an excessive amount of power. I just don't understand or care about how quick a pickup is in a drag race or 0-60 or whether another truck is faster or not. I'm hoping someone can figure out how to add a supercharger or turbo and tune these things to run smooth. Because I'd love a nice supercharger hit right off idle.

Phoon

Reaction score
Well I for one like an excessive amount of power. I just don't understand or care about how quick a pickup is in a drag race or 0-60 or whether another truck is faster or not. I'm hoping someone can figure out how to add a supercharger or turbo and tune these things to run smooth. Because I'd love a nice supercharger hit right off idle.
It's only a matter of time until ready built kits are available. Any good speed shop could build you a supercharger system no problem, as the motor on the new truck is the same as the previous gen.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Oh don't get me wrong, despite all that I said about practicality and all that? If Ram sold a 7L V8 in their rebel I'd own it.
100%. The rest of the truck as a package to me is the best on the market,I do consider the 5.7 hemi a major plus.

...but if you offered me a 7L hemi in the same truck, well, I mean..
Bruh.
I'd think real hard about it.

I just don't like small gas engines with turbos intercoolers etc in a fullsize truck.
If it was a 5.7L V8 engine with a turbo charger on it? That doesn't sound bad to me either.

I draw the line at "little V6 from Ford that sounds like a mopey weedwacker crying into a cereal bowl, no matter what exhaust you put on it.
PS: It's more complicated too, pray you don't have to replace the turbos."

I want simple performance from a V8.
Or V10.

Phoon

Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, despite all that I said about practicality and all that? If Ram sold a 7L V8 in their rebel I'd own it.
100%. The rest of the truck as a package to me is the best on the market,I do consider the 5.7 hemi a major plus.

...but if you offered me a 7L hemi in the same truck, well, I mean..
Bruh.
I'd think real hard about it.

I just don't like small gas engines with turbos intercoolers etc in a fullsize truck.
If it was a 5.7L V8 engine with a turbo charger on it? That doesn't sound bad to me either.

I draw the line at "little V6 from Ford that sounds like a mopey weedwacker crying into a cereal bowl, no matter what exhaust you put on it.
PS: It's more complicated too, pray you don't have to replace the turbos."

I want simple performance from a V8.
Or V10.
I'm hoping for an aluminum 426, boost is good but you cant beat big v8 naturally aspirated power. It would also have enough grunt to run a taller axle ratio, to keep the economy reasonable ish on the highway.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 7.0l Hemi is coming...the hellcat is coming. Unfortunately the V10 is discontinued (I am a big fan of it, wish it could have stepped out of the shadow of the Cummins, but then we did get the viper motor also)

Here is a peek at what may end up being a possibility. Once the TR and TRX come out...there will be trickle down...just ask the charger and challenger.
41389788_253517295307494_5241990285303424047_n.jpg

You can check out the thread about it in the 4th Gen section...the Rebel subbrand is gonna get it done...as long as the economy continues to support power and trucks.

Agitated

Reaction score
It's only a matter of time until ready built kits are available. Any good speed shop could build you a supercharger system no problem, as the motor on the new truck is the same as the previous gen.

The issue is in the tuning right now. And the inability to even try.

Phoon

Reaction score
Sounds like the issue was the transmission...according to this offer...transmission should be better ready for it

https://ktperformance.net/i-2391448...MIq77LwqfU3gIVg4izCh0XCA5REAQYAiABEgJ85_D_BwE
As i understand it, the new 8HP75 is able to handle more torque than the previous 8HP70, the srt 6.4 vehicles use the same designation (8HP70) so even the old trans must be good for 500 hp or so. :)

As for tuning, I am sure a good custom tuner would not have any issues. People tune new lambos for turbo setups so I'm sure a new ram wont be an issue. Especially given that you can already purchase hand held tuners for them.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This conversation has made my eyes glaze over. Why are we talking about 1/4 mile times and how fast a **** pickup truck is? This is crazy and absurd to me.
I made the switch to Ram because of the engine. Call me crazy but I like the fact this engine is still a strong block, with a traditional old school cam, rockers and pushrods, and none of the direct injection mess that leads to carbon build up in the heads. Just a simple, tried and true and powerful engine. No turbos or intercoolers to worry about.

These kind of conversations is what makes magazines shift away from what's important and start treating trucks like some kind of sports car. Then the manufactures follow, and we're left with things that water down what a truck should be.

Well I kind of agree but not agree. I really have not gave thought to 1/4 times with a Ram,but I sure as hell would like a 6.4 over the 5.7 if would it become available. The extra Torque while pulling a trailer is nice and the motor will not work as hard with more hp when you need it with out having to pay more money for the Cummings in the 2500 series. Pulling steep inclines while pulling a load to pass would be nice too when you have some not at speed limits but near and the goof balls who speed up when you pass them. I have the 392 Scat Pack for the 1/4 times and Zero to 60 :). The 6.4 is just like the 5.7 but build stronger in my opinion.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I kind of agree but not agree. I really have not gave thought to 1/4 times with a Ram,but I sure as hell would like a 6.4 over the 5.7 if would it become available. The extra Torque while pulling a trailer is nice and the motor will not work as hard with more hp when you need it with out having to pay more money for the Cummings in the 2500 series. Pulling steep inclines while pulling a load to pass would be nice too when you have some not at speed limits but near and the goof balls who speed up when you pass them. I have the 392 Scat Pack for the 1/4 times and Zero to 60 :). The 6.4 is just like the 5.7 but build stronger in my opinion.

Hmm there's a point here.
Would I get the 6.4 in the Ram? Yes.

Do I want a 2L or 3L ecoboost anything?
No.

Bullred

Reaction score
Just a little more follow up. Over the last couple of days, the truck has been fairly consistent. I've made a dozen 0-60 runs (all with temps in the low-mid 40's). All the runs have been between 5.59-5.68 0-60mph. This is done leaving in AWD with traction off from idle rpm (ie...no powerbraking with 1 foot on the gas and 1 on the brake to bring the rpm up before starting the run. This allows the engine to get a running start at the converter to "smack" the converter. This gives me better results than bringing the engine rpm up to 1800-2000 and then leaving. I've run on the same roads I used to run with the 2016 Laramie. These roads are as close to level as I can find, but definitely not perfectly flat, but no significant dips nor inclines over the run. Best 1/4mi runs I feel are reliable have been 14.35-14.41@95mph. So as of right now, it's about .15-.20 slower than previous 2016 in similar weather and same roads. The Tesla accelerometer is record 2 back to back runs with 0-60 of 5.11 & 5.16 and 1/4mi of 13.88 & 13.93. But I've thrown those runs out. There was good satellite handshakes between 7-8 satellites which increases my confidence in the data, but in the end, there was not enough difference in weather, nor vehicle weight to account for a 1/2 second improvement.

So......I'll keep an eye on how & if performance changes once the truck crosses the 5kmi marker.

On a side note, this 2019 is VERY QUIET. It has the active noise cancellation option and frankly.....You can barely hear the motor compared to my previous trucks.

Also, another reason I switched to RAM in 2014 was price. Previously, I had always driven Chevy. The last Chevy was a crew cab LTZ with the VortecMax 6.0l engine and the 4sp tranny. It pulled my 28ft enclosed trailer fine.......until 2nd gear. The the gear drop was so severe it took forever to go from the feeder road to merging with traffic as I went up the on-ramp. Also, that 2007 Chevy stickered for 45K and I paid 41k. 7 years later I've had similar equipped trucks from RAM with upraded interior. The highest sticker was my 16 Longhorn Laramie that stickered 56K and I paid 45. The other 3 I've owned I've yet to pay more than what I paid in 07 for the Chevy. I guess FCA has more money than they know what to do with, but during each purchase I would compare each truck line by line and my impression is the price the Rams actually sell for average anywhere from $6-8k less for a similarly equipped GMC or Chevy. Just my 2 cents. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread