5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so slow?

Kramersp

Reaction score
So I was looking at truck reviews and I am just scratching my head as to why Ram 1500 with the 5.7L is so slow. It just seems like FCA just skipped investment in engine technology all together. The ride=segment leading, interior=segment leading, can storage=segment leading, drivetrain= meh. To my knowledge the hemi is still port injected when others are using direct or dual injection systems. Iron block when others have long moved on to aluminum or CGI. I mean, I love the truck (why I ordered) but it's slow. A Ford 2.7L EB V6 will beat it to 60mph by a second or more and let's not even talk about the 3.5L EB. A ford 5.0L is faster, a GM 6.2 will blow its doors off and offer better MPG and a GM 5.3L is a tad behind it. Why no direct injection or dual injection for the 5.7? Why no aluminum or CGI block for the 5.7L? IMHO the 5.7L should be putting out around 410hp and 440tq.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW...the Ford 2.7 is faster than the 3.5 from 0-60. I have a 2.7 right now and it's a rocket - I absolutely love it. Towing my boat I'd prefer a 3.5 on the highway for the extra passing power. Once I'm in the Hemi full time I'll be OK with it, but back to back driving it's very noticable.

I'm very curious to see my average MPG with the Hemi. With my '14 F150 3.5 I averaged 16.7mpg, current '16 F150 2.7 average is 17.4mpg....but I have a lead foot and those turbo's get used!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I was looking at truck reviews and I am just scratching my head as to why Ram 1500 with the 5.7L is so slow...
Coming from a GM and Dodge/Ram family, and only making truck purchases once in a blue moon, I spent quite a bit of time evaluating all of the current offerings (primarily 2018 F-150 Limited or King Ranch with 3.5L EcoBoost, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate, and the 2019 Ram Laramie Longhorn). I drove them all back-to-back-to-back more than once. Maybe I'll take a few minutes and write up a full comparison (my observations/opinions only) in the "Competition" section.

The engine technologies are so dramatically different that it was difficult to directly compare them. The Ford (obviously) takes a radically different approach to making power with the EcoBoost, but the result is smooth, ample torque throughout much of the RPM range. That said, the GMC was the most fun truck to drive...period. That 6.2L is a beast, and it makes all the right noises. The Ram is a bit of an enigma to me. I found that the 5.7L (non eTorque) motor with the base (3.21) gearing felt a little lazy until you got it revving, and then the power (and sound) was right. The 3.92 rear end made a significant difference off the line. I ordered mine with the 3.92 gears and eTorque in the hopes that this combination puts it on par with the 'feel' of the 6.2L but the economy of the EcoBoost. It wasn't the powertrain that put the Ram in first place...it was the overall package.

Frankly, we're spoiled for choice right now in light-duty trucks.

Cluck

Reaction score
Well said Speedy - I currently have a 2016 Sierra with the 6.2 + a few mods.. and it does fly. I have owned new GM trucks every 2-3 years for the past 20+ years. However, I'm leaving the brand... getting my first RAM soon. The overall package of RAM with technology, storage, etc is light years ahead of the new 2019 offerings coming from Chevy and GMC. They simply got left way behind in my opinion.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing GMC has coming in 2019 ( that RAM doesn't) is that multifunction tailgate... which I personally could care less about.

Likewise on the tailgate. I get that some will find it very useful, but when these two companies released their 2019's....With how much RAM got right on this truck, I gotta imagine GM felt a little silly about standing next to a weird tailgate on stage

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The clincher for me on Ram vs Chevy (2019) was that at the Houston auto show in Jan, Ram had two 1500's that looked like adult jungle gyms - grown men crawling all over them (and under). Chevy had one 2019 there, roped off with a "spokeman" to keep people no closer than 6' from it. Clearly conveyed "not open for business." That's not how you promote a new product, even if it is a prototype.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing GMC has coming in 2019 ( that RAM doesn't) is that multifunction tailgate... which I personally could care less about.
I dismissed the tailgate...at first. The more I thought about it, the more I appreciated the re-engineering of an otherwise mundane item. But...RamBoxes!!!

Kramersp

Reaction score
I agree, GM has an epic fail when it comes to style inside and out of their 2019 offerings. But, their powertrains feature added innovation. Ram just strapped an electric motor to an engine that hasn't really changed much in the last decade or more.

Flot

Reaction score
I agree that I'd like the hemi to have more power, and am disappointed that there hasn't been much talk about etorque really improving on that... at the same time, I can appreciate the fact that the hemi+8 speed has been a reliable, proven powertrain. None of that stopped me from ordering a standard hemi, but i will be kicking myself if the etorque manages to make a notable difference in 0-60 times.

I was absolutely one of those guys who said 'I'd buy a hellcat ram' but the truth is at $100k for the trackhawk they are likely to price me out of the market for a higher power Ram as well.

ryelinek

Reaction score

The only thing really I wish Ram had that GM is getting in some trims is a heads up display. I have it in my current car and love it. The only thing I will miss once it’s gone.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing really I wish Ram had that GM is getting in some trims is a heads up display. I have it in my current car and love it. The only thing I will miss once it’s gone.

Yeah I'd like to see a HUD become available.

CaliTex

Reaction score
Me too. My daily driver has it, and I miss it when I drive something that doesn't.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well said Speedy - I currently have a 2016 Sierra with the 6.2 + a few mods.. and it does fly. I have owned new GM trucks every 2-3 years for the past 20+ years. However, I'm leaving the brand... getting my first RAM soon. The overall package of RAM with technology, storage, etc is light years ahead of the new 2019 offerings coming from Chevy and GMC. They simply got left way behind in my opinion.
I just authored a new post in the Competition section to explain why my wife and I decided to go with a Ram.

warvet

Reaction score
I, too, am leaving GMC. My 16 is nice.....but its the 6 speed version (5.3). I waited to see what was coming next and cannot believe they did not do much with the interior. I was even thinking about going to the High Country (Chevy) just for the brown interior........and again, not much difference inside for me. The optional GMC tailgate is worthless for me. Heads Up Display......I had it in my Bimmer and it was nice for navigation, but not for daily driving "for me" .........so here I am waiting on this Beautiful Long Horn with that spectacular saddle brown interior. In all honestly, the speed of 0-60 isn't that important to me. After driving so many German cars, I'll just hop in my wife's MB or on my Harley for speed. I just think the Ram is a beautiful dang truck. I did drive it back to back against the ecoboost F150.......and I know I'l be just fine. The ram's engine is a leap forward from my 6 speed GMC

Phoon

Reaction score
Current tests of the new 2019 laramie are considerably quicker off the line than the previous gen truck. 6.1 o-60 and 14.7 in the 1/4, this may not be the fastest nicely equipped crew cab ever but is not slow by any means. It is totally within the realm of possibility that a regular cab or even a base model will dipp into the 5's due to lower weight, that is what the supercharged cobra mustang ran in 2004! I wouldn't say no to more power, but would also take the 5.7 over either of the ford TT v6's. And yes, i have driven a 2.7 and 3.5 and didn't care for either of them compared to the hemi 8 speed combo. The gm 6.2 is killer, but the rest of the ram package is much better than the gm trucks.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Current tests of the new 2019 laramie are considerably quicker off the line than the previous gen truck. 6.1 o-60 and 14.7 in the 1/4, this may not be the fastest nicely equipped crew cab ever but is not slow by any means. It is totally within the realm of possibility that a regular cab or even a base model will dipp into the 5's due to lower weight, that is what the supercharged cobra mustang ran in 2004! I wouldn't say no to more power, but would also take the 5.7 over either of the ford TT v6's. And yes, i have driven a 2.7 and 3.5 and didn't care for either of them compared to the hemi 8 speed combo. The gm 6.2 is killer, but the rest of the ram package is much better than the gm trucks.

My thoughts exactly, not the fastest but not too far off from the fastest either. Definitely pretty quick for a full sized crew cab 4x4.

My 2016 consistently ran 15.0s with garbage 60 foot times. Even beating out a stock 86 Mustang GT at the drag strip.

Phoon

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, not the fastest but not too far off from the fastest either. Definitely pretty quick for a full sized crew cab 4x4.

My 2016 consistently ran 15.0s with garbage 60 foot times. Even beating out a stock 86 Mustang GT at the drag strip.
My 2014 express hemi reg cab short box with 3:92 gears would give plenty of sports cars a run for their money off the line. If they can cut .5 to 1 second off the 0-60 on the regular cabs we will have an srt-10 beater on our hands.

Bullred

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has compared their new 19 to a previous 14-17 model? I've had a 14 crewcab with 3.21 gears, then a 15 & 16 crewcab 5.7l with 3.92 rear (all 4x4's). I have a little Tesla Gtech I've used to measure 0-60 on the 16. Here in Houston during the fall winter it would consistently click off 5.6-5.8 0-60 when the tranny fluid was under 140dg. Over 140 and it would slow down a good tenth. Now, I have a 2019 Quadcab 4x4 with 5.7l & 3.92 rear. I was expecting the same or maybe a freckle better performance with the 19, but instead it's a solid .3 slower than the 2016 in similar weather. 1st gear has a very noticeable jump about 1/2 way thru the gear. I almost wonder if FCA changed the low rpm tune or possibly is using a tighter torque converter?? FWIW, the 2016 in cold air would consistently knock down 14.2-14.3 1/4mi times.

Users who are viewing this thread