5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so slow?

Truckin

Reaction score
I too am in the camp of more power is always better...If there was an option for a 6.4 or HO 5.7, you can bet that box would have been checked! That said, a loaded four wheel drive crew cab that hits 0-60 in 6.1 sec (Motor Trend) is not exactly slow. I ordered my Longhorn with the standard 5.7 and 3.92 gears. Day 1 mods/adds are BFG KO2's 275/65R20 (34.1 tall), Borla's new touring cat back for the 5th GenRams, Mopar's new cold air intake (looks cool but Mopar does not say if it really boosts performance) and POSSIBLY a mild tune based on 91 octane. The tune will be the most challenging...I may try and find a friendly Ram dealer who has a performance shop-I know of several such Ford dealers but so far no Ram dealers in Arizona that fall into that category.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Besides my 2019, I own a 2010 1500 and a 2011 2500. Both are 5.7 with 200k on them. Both have plows, 5th wheel hitches, and and tow trailers regularly. RVs(that’s my business). Both trucks have original transmission, and motors have never been opened. Regular maintenance. I’ve done Heater cores, and exhaust manifold gaskets a few times. The 1500 I’ve done the limited slip retainer clips in the 9.25 axle.

That’s why I bought a new ram. 5.7 is a great motor, maybe slightly behind the times, but I also don’t want to deal with the direct injection carbon issues at 50k.

S

Smashy71

So I was looking at truck reviews and I am just scratching my head as to why Ram 1500 with the 5.7L is so slow. It just seems like FCA just skipped investment in engine technology all together. The ride=segment leading, interior=segment leading, can storage=segment leading, drivetrain= meh. To my knowledge the hemi is still port injected when others are using direct or dual injection systems. Iron block when others have long moved on to aluminum or CGI. I mean, I love the truck (why I ordered) but it's slow. A Ford 2.7L EB V6 will beat it to 60mph by a second or more and let's not even talk about the 3.5L EB. A ford 5.0L is faster, a GM 6.2 will blow its doors off and offer better MPG and a GM 5.3L is a tad behind it. Why no direct injection or dual injection for the 5.7? Why no aluminum or CGI block for the 5.7L? IMHO the 5.7L should be putting out around 410hp and 440tq.
You talk about slow. I just came from an ecodiesel. Although it was rated at 240hp and 420 fp torque. With the hesitation lag and towing was sub par and slow. Only positive thing I averaged overall around 21mpg with a 2inch lift and 305/55/20 grapplers. I don’t miss it.

Hammer1

Reaction score
You talk about slow. I just came from an ecodiesel. Although it was rated at 240hp and 420 fp torque. With the hesitation lag and towing was sub par and slow. Only positive thing I averaged overall around 21mpg with a 2inch lift and 305/55/20 grapplers. I don’t miss it.
I hated that hesitation but actually loved everything about the eco's powertrain, however after having one blow up and the next truck having all 6 injectors fail it was time to move on. If my mpg goes up on my e torque hemi I will be happy

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Besides my 2019, I own a 2010 1500 and a 2011 2500. Both are 5.7 with 200k on them. Both have plows, 5th wheel hitches, and and tow trailers regularly. RVs(that’s my business). Both trucks have original transmission, and motors have never been opened. Regular maintenance. I’ve done Heater cores, and exhaust manifold gaskets a few times. The 1500 I’ve done the limited slip retainer clips in the 9.25 axle.

That’s why I bought a new ram. 5.7 is a great motor, maybe slightly behind the times, but I also don’t want to deal with the direct injection carbon issues at 50k.

Slightly behind but not much for a motor that was way ahead of its competition in 2003 well in to 2012 before other caught up. The 5.7 came out 15 years 16 with same motor that is "Slightly Dated" is a great track record for the 5.7 for sure and still very impressive with power.

Users who are viewing this thread