5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so much hate for MDS and auto stop/start?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like both, but the only time I kill the auto S/S is when it's humid out. I don't like having the A/C cycle off. Otherwise, I let the truck do its thing.
I just got a 2021 with ETORQUE after having a 2019 without it. First thing I noticed is the autostart stop disables when the cabin is heating/cooling. Is this a new feature for 2021? I am assuming if I'm at a light and the cabin temp roses above my setting the auto start/stop will disable to cool the cabin.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got a 2021 with ETORQUE after having a 2019 without it. First thing I noticed is the autostart stop disables when the cabin is heating/cooling. Is this a new feature for 2021? I am assuming if I'm at a light and the cabin temp roses above my setting the auto start/stop will disable to cool the cabin.
No, that's not new for 2021. That's how they all work. The engine will be restarted if the cabin temp falls outside a certain temp range.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, that's not new for 2021. That's how they all work. The engine will be restarted if the cabin temp falls outside a certain temp range.

Exactly, if you're cabin temp is satisfied the engine stops, and will restart if it gets a call to run. Where I live, the evaporator stays soaking wet 50 weeks of the year, so having the engine shut off puts all of that moisture back in the cabin. If it's just too miserable, I cancel the S/S.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did not read all the replies...just here to say I do not hate MDS (I think people tend to hate the acoustic issues with aftermarket exhausts).

However start/stop I do not think I will ever like/trust/be comfortable with.

Just something about a vehicle turning off that still makes your stomach twitch. Most likely age related (49). Those old enough to have experienced cars that turned off unexpectantly will never trust it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did not read all the replies...just here to say I do not hate MDS (I think people tend to hate the acoustic issues with aftermarket exhausts).

Just something about a vehicle turning off that still makes your stomach twitch. Most likely age related (49). Those old enough to have experienced cars that turned off unexpectantly will never trust it.
I'm the OP and I'm 49. I'm not old.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Amen brother!

Rossi396

Reaction score
Love my MDS and how unobtrusive it is. I love it even more now after putting the “mild” B2 muffler on. Sounds fantastic when it starts back up. I do hear the MDS kick in and out but mainly at lower speeds and it doesn’t bother me at all.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I am curious to why so many people hate MDS and auto stop/start. I've had my new truck since last July and haven't noticed any issues with either of these, even with my new exhaust. I am simply curious of why people don't like it. And if you do like it comment too. But please, can we be civil about it?
Well darn. I was going to reply but you requested to be civil about it. There goes my rant! :cautious:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The MDS is fine with me. Yea I feel it kicking in/out but it’s no big deal. It does save gas, especially with the cruise set. I don’t have auto stop start, but the one I test drove was really smooth

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see many people posting in MPG threads that their E-Torque trucks aren't getting better mileage.
So why have it?
I think it is more of an experiment for FCA to get their feet wet in the “hybrid” truck market. Guess it helps more for people in constant bumper to bumper traffic too

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see many people posting in MPG threads that their E-Torque trucks aren't getting better mileage.
So why have it?
Check out Fuelly. ETorque trucks have a statistically significant advantage (based on the averages of thousands of trucks), as I’ve documented in threads long ago. But it’s not some crazy 25% advantage, and it was never claimed to be.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Check out Fuelly. ETorque trucks have a statistically significant advantage (based on the averages of thousands of trucks), as I’ve documented in threads long ago. But it’s not some crazy 25% advantage, and it was never claimed to be.
Claimed to be 13% better MPG for city driving (15mpg vs 17mpg)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Claimed to be 13% better MPG for city driving (15mpg vs 17mpg)
Well, we know all of the EPA numbers are idealized, regardless of whether eTorque is in play. I’m sure they actually achieved that under perfect conditions.

Kone

Reaction score
I leave my AS/S enabled and honestly don't think thrice about it. We had a 20 Subaru Outback with it and it was so jerky shutting off and on it was horrible. It also was so inconsistent when it was on or when it was disabled for some reason; I installed an Eliminator harness I hated it so much. On the Ram (etorque) it's nearly invisible and seamless I hardly know it's working.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I leave my AS/S enabled and honestly don't think thrice about it. We had a 20 Subaru Outback with it and it was so jerky shutting off and on it was horrible. It also was so inconsistent when it was on or when it was disabled for some reason; I installed an Eliminator harness I hated it so much. On the Ram (etorque) it's nearly invisible and seamless I hardly know it's working.
Our other car is also a 2020 Outback and I was going to say the same thing - that system is very obvious and the transition is abrupt! Totally different in the Ram - I only know it is shutting off if I watch the tach.

BowDown

Reaction score
So why have it?

Mine is consistently.
I'm at 17K miles and averaging 17.5-18 mpg every tank driving in mostly north Dallas traffic and rush hour traffic, 80/20 city/highway.

Users who are viewing this thread