5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does radio power button turn off display?

ablock

Reaction score
I don't understand the point of the radio power button on my 12" UC. In our BMW, the radio power button is basically a mute button (or play/pause button when CarPlay is connected). In UConnect, it seems to both mute/pause the audio as well as turn the entire screen off. This makes no sense, especially in the 12" model when so much non-media stuff is controlled by the screen. Is there another mute/pause option that I am missing?

Zinger

Reaction score
In my 2015 Durango it IS a mute button. I can't say why they changed it, but I agree it makes less sense as a power button.

ablock

Reaction score
I've literally been through the entire manual and nowhere is the function of the radio power button explained.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I look at it as a system off, not radio off.

If you don’t want the radio select another function. You have 5 main ones to choose from.

Agreed.. it is more than just a 'radio'...
If you don't want the radio, de-select the card.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
While the 8.4 has a separate mute button, I don't really like that either the power or mute buttons "pause" the radio. If I use one of those buttons, it's because I don't want to hear the radio. Why would I want that song to play later if I turned it off? Having to hit Replay and then Live is kinda silly, in my opinion. Maybe there should be an option in the software to set the behavior of the buttons. Seems like a software update could accomplish that.

bonebro

Reaction score
There is a mute button below the volume knob on the 12”.

Attachments

• 8427A1A5-952F-4616-BB96-2C92F946336D.jpeg
    8427A1A5-952F-4616-BB96-2C92F946336D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've literally been through the entire manual and nowhere is the function of the radio power button explained.

There is a mute button, directly below the power button on the 12 inch display

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the power button. Wife is sensitive to night driving and since the display isn't dimmable the off button is fantastic. Really darkens the dash and she appreciates it since our 16' Rebel 'screen off' button was useless, since it was still on, glowing, just blank. Drove us crazy, wondering why they didn't have a true off button, now we do! Thank you FCA!

grinch72

Reaction score
Love the power button. Wife is sensitive to night driving and since the display isn't dimmable the off button is fantastic. Really darkens the dash and she appreciates it since our 16' Rebel 'screen off' button was useless, since it was still on, glowing, just blank. Drove us crazy, wondering why they didn't have a true off button, now we do! Thank you FCA!

My 12 dims no problem. If I dim the interior light using the knob the screen dims right along with it? Do you have the brightness set to auto. It needs to be in order to be able to dim it.

LBTRS

Reaction score

Mine dims just fine. Use the dash dimmer roller on the left side of the steering wheel and I bet yours does as well.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dimmer aside, I still think it's nice to have a power button.

Yes, I had my screen set to manual brightness.

cjmst23

Reaction score
It's not a "radio" power button. It's a system power button.

ablock

Reaction score
I believe the OP figured it out, their post disappeared.
My post didn't disappear. And I'm here to learn how my truck works. Not going to apologize for posting questions.

Someone mentioned there is a separate mute button. It's not documented in the regular owner's manual but I'll go look for it when my wife gets back with the truck.

Last edited:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is mentioned in the Uconnect manual on page 22

Users who are viewing this thread