5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do they insist on 22” rims on limited?

85octane

Reaction score
I think something is wrong.
I can’t see an 04 Dakota even coming close to the ride quality of an 18 year newer, full size truck…and I don’t think 22” rims are the issue.

On my 4th ram… 06, 08, 15 limited w/ air, and 23 limited with air and 22’s… rides outstanding. I notice It does track possibly a little better than my 15 with 20“ rims when cornering agressive. I thought with a shorter bed (5 7 vs. 6 4 on my 15) and 22s the ride would not be as good. I as wrong.

That…or the 04 Dakota shocks are simply blown out and you’re floating over the road… :)
Not saying you’re wrong or defending your truck… I’m just saying with my experience and my trucks, simply not the case.
And I’ve got my fair share of crap roads to travel on in MI…for sure.
Dakota shocks were replaced about 15,000 miles ago with kyb gas adjusts and it does ride on the high end of comfortable. This 22 ram with air just doesn't seem right. Saying rocking side to side harshly might have been too stern... I mean traveling down a ride at 45mph and slight dips on one side of the road and back up rocks the truck. I just don't think it should do that. I'll crawl under it tomorrow and give it a good look over. To me it feels like the sway bar is broken or isn't attached idk. Any other ideas on what to look for?

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’d make sure it rises all the way up, all the way down.
Not sure of any other way to check the air suspension other than visual, or audible leaks.
Sway bar links/linkage would be where I start too.
Mine seems to float over the road… and I have plenty of irregularities around, that’s for sure.

85octane

Reaction score
I’d make sure it rises all the way up, all the way down.
Not sure of any other way to check the air suspension other than visual, or audible leaks.
Sway bar links/linkage would be where I start too.
Mine seems to float over the road… and I have plenty of irregularities around, that’s for sure.
Everything looks Kosher suspension wise. I did notice the suspension is set to variant 1 - 3.0L V6 TD. Thought about changing to the closet variant 5 - 530HP V8 but holding off until I get some more information
7b722d709c9198258cbe7150303f57dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread