5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do they insist on 22” rims on limited?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
those 22's gotta ride like crap. Even the 20 inch Bridgestone stock tires ride rough.
Not having had anything but 22’s on my 2019 and. Now the 2023, I can say they feel a bit “stiff” yet the air suspension takes up the slack nicely.

I’d have much preferred 20’s for the additional sidewall but as a previous poster said, almost all the dealers included the $2K upgrade. While that stinks, “it is what it is”.

dajogejr

Reaction score
those 22's gotta ride like crap. Even the 20 inch Bridgestone stock tires ride rough.
Nope. Not in my opinion. Had air ride and 20” in my 15 limited, 22s on my 2023.
And in Michigan…we got plenty of crap roads to compare them on.. LOL.

Now…to be fair. My 15 was a generation ago, had 140K when I traded it in… compared to brand new truck, new seats, everything brand new.
But no difference coming from my old truck to new.

My 15 limited stock tires were junk Goodyear Wrangler HPs. Lucky to get 25K out of them.
These Pirellis ride nice and seem to be wearing well too.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
22’s have less sidewall. So they don’t flex as much as smaller wheels in cornering. Gives the truck a slightly sportier handling, which I love! Any stiffness due to the shorter sidewall is evidently absorbed by the air suspension. My 2019 limited with 22’s rides better than any high end Beemer or MB I’ve ever experienced 😎

Ram knocked it out the park with this truck and the competition still hasn’t caught up yet😉

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
I had the same concerns as some of you about the 22" tires having such a short sidewall, so, I bought a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs. With the (50%) Wranglers on them, I don't feel as though the ride is any better than the 22" Pirelli and the noise is significantly more. So, I'm currently trying to decide what to replace the tires with. I'm leaning towards Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. This tire/wheel combination will be about 15 lbs less than the stock wheel/tire. I'm going with the non-LT version since I don't tow or off-road much. I'm looking forward to seeing how the reduced weight effects the performance/mpg/ride quality. Although I do think the ride quality is very good with the stock 22" wheels and air suspension. I just don't like the look of the 22s or the idea that one false move next to a curb would damage those beautiful wheels 😊

Attachments

• 20231112_125341.jpg
    20231112_125341.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231113_133618.jpg
    20231113_133618.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 50

HemiDude

Reaction score
I had the same concerns as some of you about the 22" tires having such a short sidewall, so, I bought a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs. With the (50%) Wranglers on them, I don't feel as though the ride is any better than the 22" Pirelli and the noise is significantly more. So, I'm currently trying to decide what to replace the tires with. I'm leaning towards Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. This tire/wheel combination will be about 15 lbs less than the stock wheel/tire. I'm going with the non-LT version since I don't tow or off-road much. I'm looking forward to seeing how the reduced weight effects the performance/mpg/ride quality. Although I do think the ride quality is very good with the stock 22" wheels and air suspension. I just don't like the look of the 22s or the idea that one false move next to a curb would damage those beautiful wheels 😊
Those Coopers you are referencing are great tires. I have them on my 20 inch rims, and I would really like to find some to put on my 22 inch rims, but I don’t think they make them as tall for the 22s as I want.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 Longhorn used at 29K miles with 20" wheels. I have the service records from when it was bought new, and several attempts at balancing the tires were performed from the dealer. I never experienced any vibrations that I could tell, but they rode rough. These are my first 20" tires, so I assumed it was due to less sidewall. After putting 10K more miles on the tires, the OE tires were toast, so I had my favorite brand tire (Michelin) installed, they ride a heck of alot better. I have to assume the first owner didn't like the 20" tires. I prefer 18" wheels because the ride is better and you can upgrade to a higher load capacity tire, even though its not as necessary on a 1500, you can get a higher load rating.

BowDown

Reaction score
Currently looking to purchase a new truck in the next 2 weeks. Why does limited trim force you to get 22” rims!? What (if anything) is the benefit? I don’t get it - is it simply for the aesthetics?

To let the peasants know that they are peasants and that the Limited was the truck of Kings

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
To let the peasants know that they are peasants and that the Limited was the truck of Kings
I for one dont look at it that way. Ive had trucks in the past for doing truck things, hauling towing etc. This one, i only needed a truck to carry 4 sets of golf clubs, 4 guys and weekend travel bags. I wanted to do that as luxuriously as possible, and maybe twice a year i need to carry lumber and drywall.
Doesnt it just come down to what we need a truck to do ?
Oh, and to the OPs concern, im constantly amazed how smooth this truck rides on 45 profile tires !

BowDown

Reaction score
I for one dont look at it that way. Ive had trucks in the past for doing truck things, hauling towing etc. This one, i only needed a truck to carry 4 sets of golf clubs, 4 guys and weekend travel bags. I wanted to do that as luxuriously as possible, and maybe twice a year i need to carry lumber and drywall.
Oh, and to the OPs concern, im constantly amazed how smooth this truck rides on 45 profile tires !

That's a lot of words to say that you have the Truck of Kings and use it to play a kings sport of golf with 4, not one but 4 sets of golf clubs with 4 other kings and for a full weekend in luxury.

You could have done the same thing in peasant level tradesman but you chose the truck of kings, the Limited which buy it's very name means "Me, but not You"!

King on fellow King, King On

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depending on how big the four of you are, you could be pushing your max payload with four big dudes, their clubs, and a case of beer. Payload on our truck of kings is just over 1000 lbs.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

BF KO2s and never look back. Yes they are pricey but going from the Wranglers to them was night and day for me.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Depending on how big the four of you are, you could be pushing your max payload with four big dudes, their clubs, and a case of beer. Payload on our truck of kings is just over 1000 lbs.
Yeah, ok, ill just have to share a 6 pack instead :)
Now, werent we dissing on the 22" rims here ?
Wait, crap ive got those too - King Wheels ?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine rides great, besides the crappy OEM strut/shocks that float too damn much. I hate the OEM suspension.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Literally the first time I've ever heard someone complain about how a limited rides
Speaking of crap, he's full of it. Both of the Limited's we've owned came with 22's., and the ride was fantastic on both of them. In fact, since going to 20's on our current Limited the ride is worse. Although I still wouldn't categorize it as crappy. Just not quite luxury car smooth anymore. But it's probably because of the A/T tread on the tires LOL.

rick619

Reaction score
I know it's more of a trendy look, but I have had a few 4X4's and prefer more rubber. I'm sure many would love to trade their 20" or 18" for your 22". Bought my '23 about a month ago which came with 20". Not ready for wheels and tires yet, but the Rebel 18" take offs are tempting.

If I go with aftermarket wheels, not sure if I'll do 18" or 20". I know some 18's work if you make sure the weights clear the brakes. I tend to figure that eventually a tire shop will nod like they understand and then won't tell the person actually doing the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online