5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Leases? Who Purchased?

Drew87

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Leased Saturday. $67k msrp Laramie. $1,100 down which includes first payment. No trade 36/12 for $641 a month. Sales tax is what hurt me. 9.5% in MO.

ccm2001

Reaction score
Purchased - 2020 BigHorn LVL 2 , Tow Package, 3.92 , 5.7L 4x4, with side steps and tonue cover, MSRP 60K paid 50K after Taxes
12K DownPayment @ 2.99% finance for 96mnths
=501$ month
were dumping the truck on the mortgage that's why we went with the 96mths upfront.

Canadian $$$

ThatThingGotaHemi

Reaction score
K-ustom Ordered 6/2020 Purchased 7/2020:

Limited 4x4, $69K MSRP
Financed $37K+/- after partner FFP, Dealer discounts, '17 Tacoma Trade.

$578/month -84 mo - 3% -(limited was excluded from the 0% offers at time per the dude in the starched white shirt from 1998 in the back room and the fine print on the TV commercial..gave it my best haggle..maybe next time)

revvr

Reaction score
I leased one vehicle, due to being in financial straits. I don't understand the concept of paying for what is in essence a long-term rental. Sure, the payments are lower (that's why I did it the once), but in the end, you're left with nothing. (Lease to own = rent, then buy a used vehicle. Why not just buy the used vehicle at the start?)

Leasing trucks does not make a whole lot of sense, particularly if you use it for hauling stuff and go long distances. Trucks are made to last and retain high resale value. I leased my truck because I was not going to use it to haul stuff nor go long distances. I also wasn't sure about the Ramboxes. Leasing allowed me a "trial" of some sort; I'm not stuck with any mistakes. I now know that my next truck will not have Ramboxes and will have the opportunity to correct that at zero cost. I'll likely buy the next truck.

I like leasing because I don't want a 3 year old BMW out of warranty at the end. The car will continue to depreciate and now I'm also responsible for fixing anything that breaks at great cost. Leasing the car allows me to jump into a new car, with new tech/features, every 2-3 years which is something that I like and your car/SUV is always under warranty. Some manufacturers, like Volvo, will include servicing during the length of your lease. You can also switch vehicle types every 2-3 years as well which I also find to be an advantage. I've never been a run it to the ground type of car owner; I like tech, like the new safety features, etc. so changing the ride out frequently is something I value.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leasing isn't renting. Renting assumes you turn the item back in at the end of the agreed upon term and then walk away with nothing. Leasing a truck means you make payments on what portion of the value you'll use during the agreed upon term and all of those payments count toward potential ownership. Two totally different things.

I've leased a lot of trucks and Jeeps. It usually always makes the most sense UNLESS you're somebody who buys a new vehicle and knows 99.9% for sure that you'll drive it for 20 years. In that case, you should finance it outright. For most of us though, these things are too expensive to buy and too expensive to repair and so leasing is great because your payments are much lower and you're always under warranty.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leasing trucks does not make a whole lot of sense, particularly if you use it for hauling stuff and go long distances. Trucks are made to last and retain high resale value. I leased my truck because I was not going to use it to haul stuff nor go long distances. I also wasn't sure about the Ramboxes. Leasing allowed me a "trial" of some sort; I'm not stuck with any mistakes. I now know that my next truck will not have Ramboxes and will have the opportunity to correct that at zero cost. I'll likely buy the next truck.

I like leasing because I don't want a 3 year old BMW out of warranty at the end. The car will continue to depreciate and now I'm also responsible for fixing anything that breaks at great cost. Leasing the car allows me to jump into a new car, with new tech/features, every 2-3 years which is something that I like and your car/SUV is always under warranty. Some manufacturers, like Volvo, will include servicing during the length of your lease. You can also switch vehicle types every 2-3 years as well which I also find to be an advantage. I've never been a run it to the ground type of car owner; I like tech, like the new safety features, etc. so changing the ride out frequently is something I value.

Leasing isn't renting. Renting assumes you turn the item back in at the end of the agreed upon term and then walk away with nothing. Leasing a truck means you make payments on what portion of the value you'll use during the agreed upon term and all of those payments count toward potential ownership. Two totally different things.

I've leased a lot of trucks and Jeeps. It usually always makes the most sense UNLESS you're somebody who buys a new vehicle and knows 99.9% for sure that you'll drive it for 20 years. In that case, you should finance it outright. For most of us though, these things are too expensive to buy and too expensive to repair and so leasing is great because your payments are much lower and you're always under warranty.

Valid points. (LOL...like anyone needs or wants for me to agree with them. ;) )

tlewis24

Reaction score

you got me eyeing bmw leases now..

RamBigHorn/LS

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 1500 Big Horn/lLonestar at an insurance auction in Florida. It was hit in the drivers front. The truck only had 2900 miles. Delivered to my shop $18500. I put $7000 in parts including some frame work. Only thing left is paint the hood & fender. Buying from the auction I had to pay cash. Just took it out today for my first drive. Still smells new inside and drives the same. Just could justify spending the $53k, half was much better

Attachments

• Ram wrecked.png
    Ram wrecked.png
    390.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210508_192117.jpg
    20210508_192117.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 31

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
I have been leasing for years for two reasons.

1. Warranty. I thought I did the right thing when I was a brand new Airman in the Air Force with a wife and 2 babies. I saved up and purchased a car for cash (b/c that's the smart way right?). The car motor went out like 2 weeks later and I ended up having to take out a loan to fix it. It was just a huge pita and left a very sour taste in my mouth. I started purchasing new after that but found myself trading cars in early so I eventually ended up just leasing.

I just traded my explorer for my Ram that had 20k miles on it b/c it had some major engine problems, replacing the cylinder heads etc.. (another reason I love warranty). Peace of mind for myself is worth quite a bit in my book.

2. I get bored and getting a new car is one of the things I most enjoy purchasing in life. I've had more cars at 38 years old (18) than most people have in a lifetime. I trade every 2 - 2 1/2 years.

That being said. The most financially wise thing to do is pay cash for a car and save up what you would on payments for repairs but this is my one life and I'm perfectly fine spending extra money for something I enjoy.

Everyone has a hobby, I consider leasing one of mine.

Last edited:

2022LaramieGT

Reaction score
Lease

21 rebel night edition
Msrp $65,210
Ally financial
Due at signing $1,100
36 months/ 12k miles per year
Payment including tax: $521
Is thia the lease you received or are you offering thia for a lease option for someone to get?

BlueMoose

Reaction score
Purchased a used 2020 with 17K miles. With trade-in and cash I'm financing just under $30k for $407/mo. Technically the payments run through 2027, my goal is to have it paid off by June 2023. 🙂

I opted to buy instead of lease because I want to road trip, and I'm likely to blow any mileage limits out of the water.

Blackhat

Reaction score

I agree I lease all vehicles for 1 if you take good care of it and have low miles you can come out ahead Example My last Truck 2018 Bighorn Hemi leased for 3 years 0 down 365 month 44600 Price tag when the lease was up I could buy the Truck for 28400. it had 22056 miles on it. I purchased the Truck and Traded in on a New 2021 Ram. The Dealership gave Me 34475 (after a little haggling) on Trade the. This doesn't always hold true but in My case it was a pretty good deal. You should always look at the resale or Trade in Value at the end of your lease and if you can afford it and the Value is a lot higher then what you can buy it for you should. I always take it to a Dealer near the End and ask what they would give Me on Trade just to get an Idea of what they will start at. When I took the 2018 there a month before my lease was up they told Me they would give me 32000 for it so I knew I would make a little. But if you drive a lot I doubt this would work

Rsone 11

Reaction score
If you lease for 3 years and then decide to purchase out the truck at the end does Chrysler capital allow you to Finance it through them? Also is that even a good deal or better off just purchasing a new one and start from scratch ?

Blackhat

Reaction score
If you lease for 3 years and then decide to purchase out the truck at the end does Chrysler capital allow you to Finance it through them? Also is that even a good deal or better off just purchasing a new one and start from scratch ?
Sorry not sure, I always went thru my Credit union knowing I was trading it in. In rare cases you can get the dealership to buy the Truck. With my 2016 I told them I was buying the Truck at the end of the Lease and then trading it in on a 2018, Because the 2016 was worth more then the Chrysler Capital purchase price at the end of the lease. The dealership actually bought the Truck from Chrysler Capital and gave Me the the Trade in Value for the Truck it was only 1500 but it was cash in my pocket and I didn't have to mess with financing. I think they thought I'd put it down on the 2018 but I used it for the Level kit and Tires. It may actually be a great time to do this with the Chip shortage and the high price of used cars you could probably get a super deal of course this works best with on the lot Trucks so you may have to settle for something you didn't want I always get Granite but could not find a North Edition ECO Diesel Granite in Stock so I had to settle for Black. But it has everything else I wanted

D-dub

Reaction score
I financed a brand new 2020 Ram Bighorn Eco Diesel Sport 4x4. $48,000 out the door with employee disc. tonneau and side steps. $0 out of pocket, 2.74% interest for 84mos. $627 a month. Window sticker at $55k. Next time I purchase, I think I'm going to order a truck, how I want it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread