5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here is NOT happy with their e-Torque system?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To be honest, the biggest complaint I have with the system (and I'll bet I'm not alone in this) is that it just doesn't add very much fuel economy. It's implemented well, but it was a whole lot of engineering work for <1 mpg advantage (based on real-world Fuelly averages).
I think that depends upon where you live/drive. In Dallas, I'm at lights constantly and all that idling @ 0 mph kills economy. The real question, imo, is how many miles per tank do you lose. When I disabled auto start/stop, my mpg dropped from 17.xx mpg city to 15 mpg or 391 miles per 23 gal vs 345 miles per tank or about 3 gal per tank.

Math:
17 mpg x 23 gal = 391 miles
15 mpg x 23 = 345 miles
46 mile difference or about 3 gal.
I don't think the auto stop/start or etorque is much of a benefit if you don't do a lot of city driving

rustybuckets

Reaction score
The e-torque generator on my 2020 Longhorn always made a slight growling noise that slowly got louder. It died a few months ago after 40k (still under warranty) leaving me without a vehicle for weeks. The new one is quiet. All of this trouble for an added cost feature that will never pay for itself. If it is now unavoidable, I'll probably go elsewhere next time.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think that depends upon where you live/drive. In Dallas, I'm at lights constantly and all that idling @ 0 mph kills economy. The real question, imo, is how many miles per tank do you lose. When I disabled auto start/stop, my mpg dropped from 17.xx mpg city to 15 mpg or 391 miles per 23 gal vs 345 miles per tank or about 3 gal per tank.

Math:
17 mpg x 23 gal = 391 miles
15 mpg x 23 = 345 miles
46 mile difference or about 3 gal.
I don't think the auto stop/start or etorque is much of a benefit if you don't do a lot of city driving
I do a whole lot of mixed driving in Fort Worth. But I’m going with the law of averages across thousands of trucks. 0.5-1.0 mpg (on average) is statistically significant, but it would be more impressive if it doubled or tripled that number.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
I've read thst there's significant changes in the 21/22 etorque model years vs the 19/20. From what I've read, I wouldn't want the 21/22 etorque tuning
My 2019 did not have the ET. Didn't want it then and didn't want it now, but....lease-end timing and on-the-ground selections this go around pushed me into an ET.

I guess we'll see what what Fix-It-Again-Tony has for me in 2025 when this lease is up. Lord knows Im a Mopar or No Car Man, but I sincerely hope they wont kill the V-8 in a 1500...

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
That is exactly what I experienced.
As mentioned above, it almost felts like the rotors were slightly warped.
Feels more like trans to me, but Im sure we are talkin bout the same thing.

BowDown

Reaction score
I do a whole lot of mixed driving in Fort Worth. But I’m going with the law of averages across thousands of trucks. 0.5-1.0 mpg (on average) is statistically significant, but it would be more impressive if it doubled or tripled that number.
I agree

Ulster

Reaction score
I have a GT on order and a little bit concerned that it will sound stupid at a red light restart.

Dewey

Reaction score
I have a GT on order and a little bit concerned that it will sound stupid at a red light restart.
It’s just a little pop at start up. Not that noticeable at all.

Dewey

Reaction score
It's like you remote started your truck at every red light. Or you stalled out and needed to turn your truck back on.
Except there’s no starter noise. Completely different. Other than the slight pop from the GT exhaust the start up is actually pretty silent.

xspeedy

Reaction score
The system is quite transparent. It is a smooth start stop system and you get a peppy start right off the line.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Feels more like trans to me, but Im sure we are talkin bout the same thing.

Yes and probably more technically correct. If we are going to get technical about the truck, I will have to call in my wife as she is more knowledgeable in engines than I. :cool:

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is true that folks who don't do a lot of stop/start driving won't see a big change in fuel economy but that isn't the point of the system. The system is ddesigned to provide small gains across hundreds or thousands of trucks for an overall significant impact on emissions to meet CAFE standards etc. If you don't like etorque and think you'll just go elsewhere for a truck with no stap/stop or other systems for fuel economy you better get used to driving a pre-owned or modified truck because every manufacturer has to play the same game on a fleet-wide basis.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like was mentioned before, etorque changed in 2022. Prior to 2022 acts quite different in my experience than 2022 onward. I test drove a 2021 which convinced me the system worked very smoothly and without lag. When my 2022 came in a felt the difference. Sometimes I am good with it, sometimes I hate it. It shuts the engine off around 3 mph (old system shut off when completely stopped) and if you are coming to a complete stop it’s ok. If you are still moving , like in stop and go traffic or pulling into a parking spot, it will sometimes surge forward. It is unsettling to say the least. So far I haven’t hit anything but it sure does feel like it is only a matter of time. There also seems to be a significant lag when pulling away from a stop. Not always , but it happens. Ram made an update to the system mid 2022 that helped quite a bit but didn’t solve it completely. I suspect future programing could fix it.

I drive quite a bit of city use and drive like an old man. I have not seen significant mpg savings. I’m around 15 mpg. Highway rarely if ever breaks 20 mpg.

Reverse

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about E-Torque is how aggressively it slows down the truck when I'm in cruise and going downhill. In our 2014, it would allow the truck to build some momentum which helped when inevitably the road would go uphill again. With E-Torque, it keeps the speed very close to the set speed, killing all momentum for the uphill part. Ugh.

BTW, in comparing our current two trucks, one a bare bones 2014, and the other a fancy pants 2020 (but same weight, engine, and diff), the 2014 gets about 1.5mpg more. So much for all the fuel saving BS (e-torque, front spoiler, grille shutters, etc.)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It shuts the engine off around 3 mph (old system shut off when completely stopped) and if you are coming to a complete stop it’s ok. If you are still moving , like in stop and go traffic or pulling into a parking spot, it will sometimes surge forward. It is unsettling to say the least. So far I haven’t hit anything but it sure does feel like it is only a matter of time. There also seems to be a significant lag when pulling away from a stop. Not always , but it happens. Ram made an update to the system mid 2022 that helped quite a bit but didn’t solve it completely. I suspect future programing could fix it.
They fixed the surging problem a while ago.
You just need to go to the dealership and get the latest update.
Mine doesn't move when it resumes start\stop (no more then taking my foot off the brake)

They did have like 2-3 updates so you probably never got the last one.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They fixed the surging problem a while ago.
You just need to go to the dealership and get the latest update.
Mine doesn't move when it resumes start\stop (no more then taking my foot off the brake)

They did have like 2-3 updates so you probably never got the last one.
I will swing by. When was the last update pushed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/