5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are you all mounting your CB's?

sgk

Reaction score
Sry for the night image.
Don't know much about cb's but is that for personal or work? looks pretty elaborate whats a setup like that typically used for?

JayRam19

Reaction score
Don't know much about cb's but is that for personal or work? looks pretty elaborate whats a setup like that typically used for?
There CB is personal and the switch’s above are for flashers and spot lights. It will be a plow once Western makes the mount for my blade.

Jingtao

Reaction score
I got mine installed but SWR is pretty high over 3.0 :(. checked antenna/coax and ground, all look good. maybe due to location of the antenna. anyone have better suggestion where to mount antenna?
cb_ant2.png cb_ant.png

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got mine installed but SWR is pretty high over 3.0 :(. checked antenna/coax and ground, all look good. maybe due to location of the antenna. anyone have better suggestion where to mount antenna?
That will blow your finals over time with an SWR that high

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 41584 View attachment 41583
On the middle of the roof, that would provide the most uniform ground plane, possibly not practical with that antenna.
I would try to get it further away from the C-pillar for starters.
edit: I take it that you was unable to get it to tune lower than 3:1.

Last edited:

DarkKn1ght

Reaction score
I'm very interested to see how people without a console mounted their CB radios. I run a Galaxy 959 in my Jeep currently and would like to run a CB in my truck too.

Firebird

Reaction score
Had CB on my Harley and used it all the time, wouldn’t mind having one in my truck too

Jingtao

Reaction score
Could be a bad ground plane
How you attached the antenna bracket?
Could you show a near picture ?

I tried to push it all the way at the end of the bed. SWR becoming even worse. now SWR is around 8.0/9.0 ..... running out of clues now how to tune this antenna :(. Ground connection is good. since there are paint and plastic, I ran one ground cable to have solid ground connection. multimeter showing only 0.7 Ohm to chassis from the end of antenna cable ( at CB radio side )

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 17.57.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 17.57.52.png
    445.3 KB · Views: 326
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 17.58.42.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 17.58.42.png
    538.8 KB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 18.03.47.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 18.03.47.png
    647.5 KB · Views: 324

Tred's

Reaction score
Can the antenna be tuned? (You're knocking a lot of cobwebs out of the old think locker, here.) If I remember correctly, from my ol' CB days, that type of antenna can be tuned.

EDIT: Did a Google search. The 1st video shows how he trimmed the antenna at about 1:50, he shows how to tune it in. This is a Firestik antenna. Hope it helps. How To Tune a CB Firestik Antenna

Last edited:

Retlow8

Reaction score
Did you adjust the length of the whip? Tune it?
Also, make sure your coax length is good. You don’t want it overlapping itself. Run it as straight as you can but you don’t want it bunched up.

Boston

Reaction score
My buddies and I have gone over to GMRS. Much better range and audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread