5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are you all mounting your CB's?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have a CB but I would think it could lay flat in the large console area. Install the mic anywhere you like. Gives you tons of flexibility.
I would think so as well. My console is huge, no doubt I could fit a CB radio in there.
On a side note, I'm surprised anyone even uses CBs much anymore. I guess if you get out in real remote areas, just want to party line surf or don't have a smart phone. I remember when we were kids everyone had their own handle even if you didn't own a CB, because someone you knew did.

azrebel12

Reaction score
Hi guys, the problems with laying a cb down like in the console is 1st you can't see the front screen to make adjustments or select channels and the build up of heat can be an issue. Most all offroad groups use cb radios unless they run MURS radios or dedicated race radios but cb is the oldest and most used main or backup if people in the group do not own the more specialized radios. I get 10 miles from my house and lose cell reception

slimchance

Reaction score
On a side note, I'm surprised anyone even uses CBs much anymore. I guess if you get out in real remote areas, just want to party line surf or don't have a smart phone. I remember when we were kids everyone had their own handle even if you didn't own a CB, because someone you knew did.
i was traveling the other day and an 18 wheeler was having problems he did not know about .. tried to call him on my smart phone but it was not smart enough to know his phone number .. guess it was not as smart as the phone thought it was ... so i just picked up my antique CB and gave him a call .. worked just like it did 20 yrs ago ... was diving down the road and a passing trk called me on the CB and told me about a speed trap ahead, saved me big time ... we have CBs in both trucks, magnet mount Lil Will antenna and 520 radio .. CB sits upright in console right behind the phone charger, uses a 90 degree elbow on antenna connection to save the wire .... also when towing my TT trucks have told me about road delays and accidents ahead in time to get around the tie ups ... nobody ever calls me on my smartphone with this kind of information and the Uconnect traffic app is always reporting on Phila or Pittsburg all of which is hundreds of miles away ... there must be something i am doing wrong with my smartphone

slimchance

Reaction score
wife just reminded me ... you sound like the salesman i talked to at Radio Shack couple of yrs ago about CB antenna ... but now they are out of business cause of smartphones too

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wife just reminded me ... you sound like the salesman i talked to at Radio Shack couple of yrs ago about CB antenna ... but now they are out of business cause of smartphones too
Easy there, big fella. I'm not against CBs :) I am just surprised to hear much talk about them. As for some of the other stuff, you know I don't need a trucker to call me to tell me about a speed trap, because Waze, my radar detector, or even Google maps traffic will tell me something's going on.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
i was traveling the other day and an 18 wheeler was having problems he did not know about .. tried to call him on my smart phone but it was not smart enough to know his phone number .. guess it was not as smart as the phone thought it was ... so i just picked up my antique CB and gave him a call .. worked just like it did 20 yrs ago ... was diving down the road and a passing trk called me on the CB and told me about a speed trap ahead, saved me big time ... we have CBs in both trucks, magnet mount Lil Will antenna and 520 radio .. CB sits upright in console right behind the phone charger, uses a 90 degree elbow on antenna connection to save the wire .... also when towing my TT trucks have told me about road delays and accidents ahead in time to get around the tie ups ... nobody ever calls me on my smartphone with this kind of information and the Uconnect traffic app is always reporting on Phila or Pittsburg all of which is hundreds of miles away ... there must be something i am doing wrong with my smartphone

Mind posting a photo of the cb mounted? I've been kicking around a couple of ideas but nothing that I like so far.

slimchance

Reaction score
Last edited:

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I don't have that center console :D Since I now have most of tomorrow off I can mock up a couple of locations.

Fornstar

Reaction score
Wanting to put one in my truck also. I dont need it, but have always enjoyed having one. As of right now I am not sure where to mount one that will not be in the way.

Rick8325

Reaction score
I don't have one anymore but when I had my Jeep JK I had a Cobra C75WXST.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-C75WXS...rds=cb+radio&qid=1555673921&s=gateway&sr=8-16

The display was on the handheld and it was very compact. Only thing that needed to be mounted within reach was the mic. I installed the box inside the glove box and ran the antenna wire there. I had it rigged up something like this (although not blocking a vent). There seems to be enough room to mount the box under the steering column in the Ram. You also have a fuse panel down there for tapping power.
img_8222-jpg.2308390

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are CB radios still a thing? Thought they went out after the invention of the cell phone??? Last time I used a CB radio was in the early 80's.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are CB radios still a thing? Thought they went out after the invention of the cell phone??? Last time I used a CB radio was in the early 80's.

Yeah they are still very popular and useful. Still a lot of the country without cell coverage plus you have open channels so you can communicate with people you don’t know but who are in the area...a cell phone doesn’t allow for that. I never had one (city slicker) but always found them cool.

Shootin' Nuke

Reaction score
Good thread. I'm another believer in CB radio. I keep a small rig with a magnet mount antenna in my work car (Ford Fusion) and it comes in handy quite often.

Has anyone seen a "no-drill" hood channel mount for antennas? I'd prefer to use a fixed antenna mount over a magnet mount.

Users who are viewing this thread