5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My second oil change (same dealership) is similar to yours as it did not name the oil, just a number. I was told it was a blend but I referenced the number and it was conventional penzoil.

The part number on my says it’s synthetic. Even if that means it’s a blend, my plan covers changes every 5000 miles. I am very happy with that.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I brought my truck in at 2,200 miles to do a "break-in" or early oil change. I don't have a service plan, just coming in for express service and paying for it. I know it's probably early and honestly don't need it, my oil life meter was at 75% still.

The service adviser work very hard to get me not to do an oil change. I've never had a service adviser actually trying to avoid doing services for a fee before. I can only conclude they were rather busy and didn't another truck taking a bay that wasn't needed.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
I brought my truck in at 2,200 miles to do a "break-in" or early oil change. I don't have a service plan, just coming in for express service and paying for it. I know it's probably early and honestly don't need it, my oil life meter was at 75% still.

The service adviser work very hard to get me not to do an oil change. I've never had a service adviser actually trying to avoid doing services for a fee before. I can only conclude they were rather busy and didn't another truck taking a bay that wasn't needed.

You might want to double check to see if they actually did it then. Seems odd that they wouldn't want to do that.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You might want to double check to see if they actually did it then. Seems odd that they wouldn't want to do that.

Good advice, yup I always mark the top of my oil filters with a small cut to make sure they changed it instead of wiping it off and leaving it on. I also always check to make sure the oil level is correct which also lets me see that I have fresh oil.

U

User_3336

I’m coming up on 1k miles on my Bighorn. Does the manual say first oil change at 1k miles?
Some people change their oil @ 1000 miles if they are changing to full synthetic, or if they simply want to get that initial oil and metals out of the factory oil.

I think first oil change is due @ 7500 or when indicated by your DIC.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I changed mine at 3000. And oil that drained was BLACK stinky glad I did. Also rotated tires.
Used to be that break-in factory oil had additional additives which is the reason they don’t tell you to change oil early and just go by the oil change indicator. Could be the reason it was so dark too. Not an expert in any way.

I believe I changed mine at around 5000 the first time. My indicator showed 40% oil life left.

Cheers,

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used to be that break-in factory oil had additional additives which is the reason they don’t tell you to change oil early and just go by the oil change indicator. Could be the reason it was so dark too. Not an expert in any way.

I believe I changed mine at around 5000 the first time. My indicator showed 40% oil life left.

Cheers,
Theres no such thing as break in oil anymore from the factory. I always do my first oil change around 1,000 and then follow the oil change indicator.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Theres no such thing as break in oil anymore from the factory. I always do my first oil change around 1,000 and then follow the oil change indicator.
Got it. Wasn’t aware they didn’t do that anymore.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
BTW, for those in Houston, my dealer (Helfman on Katy Fwy), only uses Penzoil Platinum full synthetic for the last few years (just had it done las week while they were doing the AC TSB fix).
Cost for this was around $93. Well worth it.

Cheers,

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, for those in Houston, my dealer (Helfman on Katy Fwy), only uses Penzoil Platinum full synthetic for the last few years (just had it done las week while they were doing the AC TSB fix).
Cost for this was around $93. Well worth it.

Cheers,
For comparison only, I do my own changes with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters for just under $45. It's only once a year, so I also use this time to poke around under the truck. And my mechanic (yours truly) works around my schedule :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
For comparison only, I do my own changes with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters for just under $45. It's only once a year, so I also use this time to poke around under the truck. And my mechanic (yours truly) works around my schedule :)
That's great.
$93 for me is well worth it and a bargain.

ironox

Reaction score
I'm with you SpeedtV, plus I trust no one (dealer included) to do it correctly. I've gone to the dealer with past vehicles, and when I go to change myself, find cheap/non vehicle specific filters. This has happened more than once at two separate dealerships, and don't get me started on lube shops.

I changed mine at 5,500 with full synthetic. As a side note, the oil filter placement is terribly engineered.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Godscountryrider

Reaction score

Cheers,
Could be that. But it was 3K of interstate at 75mph LOL or more....... I figured good enough seems ok. No problem so far

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
From what I read on here it seems that the consensus is that the factory does not fill with synthetic oil, as it’s not required in the manual. I have been getting antsy about doing my first oil change as I’m at 3,500 miles ( car was built in jan21) The computer shows 62% oil life remaining. That puts my first oil change called for around 9300 miles if I continue to drive the same way. I don’t trust it and plan to change soon.
F8C86BB2-7809-4660-9A23-2EEFB6514AEF.png

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I would just go synthetic and change it every 5,000 miles, matches perfect with tire rotations. That's roughly a year for me. I buy two 1-gallon jugs of Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20 and the Mopar M0-339 filter at Walmart and spend a hour on my driveway.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have A 21 eco diesel first change was done at 7k miles.. Didnt drive agressive just tons of highway miles, most likey gonna do it every 5k now.

Users who are viewing this thread