5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite low-cost Amazon upgrade?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I find Amazon coupons from:
Nice. Ill need to check those out.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The one thing that I didn't like is I have to unplug it because the USB hub on our trucks turns off after an hour. I tried using this usb switch, but the wireless Android Auto doesn't work when using it. Maybe I need to find a USB 3.0 switch.
Hey @FLiPMaRC what do you mean when you say that the USB turns off? I have a 21 and can plug in for AA and drive all day. Heck, last road trip was front DC to Nashville. The USB worked fine.

I would look into that wireless box for short hops though just so I don't have to mess with getting my phone hooked up.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey @FLiPMaRC what do you mean when you say that the USB turns off? I have a 21 and can plug in for AA and drive all day. Heck, last road trip was front DC to Nashville. The USB worked fine.

I would look into that wireless box for short hops though just so I don't have to mess with getting my phone hooked up.
I meant I have to unplug it because the usb hub/ports only shuts down an hour after turning off the vehicle. I didn't want it to be a drain on the battery.

I've used it on my 6 hour road trip to Canada two weeks ago. (y)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I meant I have to unplug it because the usb hub/ports only shuts down an hour after turning off the vehicle. I didn't want it to be a drain on the battery.

There is a built in battery saver that will shut off the accessories to prevent not being able to start the truck. No need to worry about unplugging it's if battery drain is your only concern

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It won't drain your battery, but if it's anything like mine it will stay on 24/7. I tried parking and turning my truck off, then turning BT off on my phone so it wasn't constantly pinging the AA Wireless overnight. The next day I turned BT back on, and it immediately started searching for AA on the truck. Don't know if that's an AA Wireless thing keeping the USB port on or not. No effect on the truck, just annoying to unplug the dongle every time I get out of the truck. Still less annoying than plugging my phone in though.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a built in battery saver that will shut off the accessories to prevent not being able to start the truck. No need to worry about unplugging it's if battery drain is your only concern
That and the constant pinging of my phone looking for AA when it connects to the BT of the wireless adapter.
It won't drain your battery, but if it's anything like mine it will stay on 24/7. I tried parking and turning my truck off, then turning BT off on my phone so it wasn't constantly pinging the AA Wireless overnight. The next day I turned BT back on, and it immediately started searching for AA on the truck. Don't know if that's an AA Wireless thing keeping the USB port on or not. No effect on the truck, just annoying to unplug the dongle every time I get out of the truck. Still less annoying than plugging my phone in though.
Yes, exactly what was happening. Also, I didn't know that it would stay on 24/7. I've been uplugging it because I knew the usb ports stayed on for a hour after shutting down the truck.

Unplugging the dongle is no big deal. Just a little annoyance. 1st world problems :ROFLMAO:

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
I bought this Android Auto/CarPlay wireless adapter from Amazon about two weeks ago. It was on sale for $30.

I just saw it on TechBargains on sale again ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=tbpre-20&ascsubtag=02h3bPMbch4XKDCunBFkb47

Coupon Code: 68DM4NLK

After a few weeks, it's been working fine. YMMV. I wanted to get something cheap to test out wireless Android Auto. I didn't want to spend $90 on the Motorola M1A and to find out it's buggy or something.

The one thing that I didn't like is I have to unplug it because the USB hub on our trucks turns off after an hour. I tried using this usb switch, but the wireless Android Auto doesn't work when using it. Maybe I need to find a USB 3.0 switch.

I bought and connected this adapter.
Does anyone know why I have to turn wi-fi on for it to work?
I understand having Bluetooth on, it is a Bluetooth adapter after all, it just doesn't make sense to me to have to have wi-fi on. I never have it on otherwise.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I understand having Bluetooth on, it is a Bluetooth adapter after all, it just doesn't make sense to me to have to have wi-fi on. I never have it on otherwise.
Mine used wifi at first, but after the setup it used Bluetooth to operate.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because Android Auto/Carplay uses both wifi and BT. That's why our UC4 needs an adapter for it to work. Our UC4 doesn't have the hardware like the newer UC5s. BT doesn't have the bandwidth.

Quick Google search ... How to Use Android Auto Wireless

How Android Auto Wireless Works​

Most connections between phones and car radios use Bluetooth. It's how most hands-free calling implementations work, and you can also stream music over Bluetooth. However, Bluetooth connections don't have the bandwidth required by Android Auto Wireless.

To achieve a wireless connection between your phone and your car, Android Auto Wireless taps into the Wi-Fi functionality of your phone and your car radio. It only works with vehicles that have Wi-Fi functionality.

Compatibility is further limited to specific car radios and phones designed to work with the system.

When a compatible phone pairs with a compatible car radio, Android Auto Wireless works like the wired version, only without wires. Your phone does all the heavy lifting, the information is on your touchscreen car radio, and things like driving directions and answers that you ask Google Assistant play through the car speakers.

Also, any reason you turn off your WiFi or BT on your phone?? I don't understand the reason for that. It doesn't save the battery or anything.

Last edited:

Insanity

Reaction score
The seat backer came in and installed it sits nice and flat. Well as flat as I felt like messing with for now. The bottom could be better but I'd have to stick my hands back down into the seat cushions and there is a nice sharp stretch of metal.

20231120_172420.jpg

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The seat backer came in and installed it sits nice and flat. Well as flat as I felt like messing with for now. The bottom could be better but I'd have to stick my hands back down into the seat cushions and there is a nice sharp stretch of metal.

View attachment 171385
It even comes with 22 pellets!

6of36

Reaction score
These are great for organization:

Motrobe Glove Box Organizer for Dodge 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 RAM 1500 ABS Organizer Divider Accessories Black https://a.co/d/32Y7MZo

and

PIMCAR Compatible with 2019-2023 2024 Dodge RAM 1500 2500 3500 Center Console Organizer ABS Plastic Material Interior Accessories Armrest Box Insert Tray (Black Trim) https://a.co/d/fKM0eb0
I was able to find the console organizer for $2 more, that came with the door pull pockets, with colored inserts. I have the Elite interior, so got the blue inserts.
1700663130021.jpeg

6of36

Reaction score
Edit: wrong link. That link was just for console insert in color. I guess the set was on sale when I bought it, because that's the price I paid for the whole set. Now the whole set, with door pulls is $23.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was able to find the console organizer for $2 more, that came with the door pull pockets, with colored inserts. I have the Elite interior, so got the blue inserts.
View attachment 171477
I had that on my last truck. Whenever you lift the console **** goes flying.
It's also got coin holders in the front and again if you ever lift it, coins and sh*t everywhere.

6of36

Reaction score
I had that on my last truck. Whenever you lift the console **** goes flying.
It's also got coin holders in the front and again if you ever lift it, coins and sh*t everywhere.
I don't use it for coins, because I figured they would fly too. Nothing that I do put in there moves much though. It all stays in the sections it's put in. I don't put anything tiny in there.

Users who are viewing this thread