5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite low-cost Amazon upgrade?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the life of me I’ve been wondering why anybody needs a screen protector. Been using touchscreens on vehicles, phones and endless machines at work for 20 years and never had issues with any getting scratched. At the very worse fingerprints which easily wipe off with a few swipes using a microfiber towel. Just about every touchscreen I use seems almost indestructible and virtually scratch proof to normal use.
I can honestly say the screen protector on my phone has saved my screen more than once.

And the matte screen protector on my 12" display significantly cuts down on glare, which is worth it for me.

I've also seen several smartphones that didn't have screen protectors that had wear patterns on the screen from typing in keyboard or using unlock code.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can honestly say the screen protector on my phone has saved my screen more than once.

And the matte screen protector on my 12" display significantly cuts down on glare, which is worth it for me.

I've also seen several smartphones that didn't have screen protectors that had wear patterns on the screen from typing in keyboard or using unlock code.
I must be one lucky SOB. Never seen any of the above on any of mine and I’m often using my phone with metal chips from machining on my hands or gloves.

The glare makes sense though. That 12” screen is pretty shiny. Not nearly as bad on the 8”.

John Galt

Reaction score
For the life of me I’ve been wondering why anybody needs a screen protector. Been using touchscreens on vehicles, phones and endless machines at work for 20 years and never had issues with any getting scratched. At the very worse fingerprints which easily wipe off with a few swipes using a microfiber towel. Just about every touchscreen I use seems almost indestructible and virtually scratch proof to normal use.
only reason I put it on is to cut the glare from the sun reflecting on the screen. Fingerprints also look kinda gross on the shiny surface. It doesn’t need protection. I just wanted to modify the screen surface so it wasn’t so reflective.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If there was any danger of me dropping my Uconnect this might matter. As it is, it’s just a matte surface for a touchscreen.

Maybe the $40 IS better. For my application….I don’t see any reason to spend more. On my Durango I just kept that plastic it came with from the factory and until one of my know-it-all friends was in the passenger seat, noticed it and decided to educate me on removing the plastic cover on my touchscreen without asking.

He ended up needing to arrange for another ride back.

Point is, the cheap Chinese knockoff is harder than the plastic and the plastic worked for me until someone pulled it off.

Do you also buy the cheapest insurance for your vehicles?

It's a rhetorical question so no reply necessary.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I only ever use it on new car\truck radios. Makes it easier to get fingerprints off, and for some reason maybe UV light or something car screens always get faded or the oil on your fingers burn into the screen leaving marks after several years.
Never had that problem on any cellphone or anything else.

I do.
I live in a state that requires car insurance, so as long as the other person causes it i'm covered, or can sue and be covered.
I think i'm only allowed to cause up to 100k of damages, so I can't cause an accident and hit a Lambo, or more accurately in my state, total 3-4 cars\trucks and be more then 50% at fault for the entire accident.

John Galt

Reaction score

I buy the coverage I want from a company that I believe will provide required service at the appropriate time. That said I do shop rates every year and end up switching every now and then. There’s no benefit to paying more than necessary.

I certainly didn’t just buy the most expensive policy I could find.

Your attempted analogy is also flawed. This sticky glass isn’t insurance. It’s simply a screen surface modifier to make the screen less shiny and help it hide fingerprints and it does that like a champ.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your attempted analogy is also flawed. This sticky glass isn’t insurance. It’s simply a screen surface modifier to make the screen less shiny and help it hide fingerprints and it does that like a champ.
Depends on the screen protector you buy. The "better" ones for cell phones do offer a warranty, or "insurance" against screen damage and will pay for screen replacement if it breaks using their product.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on the screen protector you buy. The "better" ones for cell phones do offer a warranty, or "insurance" against screen damage and will pay for screen replacement if it breaks using their product.
There are no screen protectors that will pay to repair your cell phone screen if it breaks, those are scams.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A lot of people say that about insurance policies.
Yep because some insurance companies play the same games.
No one selling a $40 dollar product is going to pay upwards of $400 to repair some ones device if it broke while using their product

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve been getting aero wipers 4 for $18 last Rainex silicone ones I got were $90 for two!

AERO Voyager 24" + 24" Premium All-Season Windshield Wiper Blades with Extra Rubber Refills + 1 Year Warranty (Set of 2) https://a.co/d/1wRKwYT

John Galt

Reaction score
As I keep saying, the odds of me dropping my Uconnect screen which is bolted into my dashboard is extremely remote especially considering that I would probably have to drop it on something OUTSIDE the truck to really damage it. I don’t require that level of protection. I simply wanted the screen to be less shiny. I also don’t believe ANY vendor on Amazon that says they will fix my screen because I bought a $40 pice of glass. Some things you just have to take ownership and responsibility for yourself no matter what you’ve been promised.

Besides, I have comprehensive insurance on my truck. THAT should cover a broken screen and if such a thing however unlikely we’re to happen I think its more reasonable to expect Allstate to cover it than some sketchy Amazon vendor selling overpriced sticky glass and may not even be located in this country.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I keep saying, the odds of me dropping my Uconnect screen which is bolted into my dashboard is extremely remote especially considering that I would probably have to drop it on something OUTSIDE the truck to really damage it. I don’t require that level of protection. I simply wanted the screen to be less shiny. I also don’t believe ANY vendor on Amazon that says they will fix my screen because I bought a $40 pice of glass. Some things you just have to take ownership and responsibility for yourself no matter what you’ve been promised.

Besides, I have comprehensive insurance on my truck. THAT should cover a broken screen and if such a thing however unlikely we’re to happen I think its more reasonable to expect Allstate to cover it than some sketchy Amazon vendor selling overpriced sticky glass and may not even be located in this country.
My comment was about screen protectors, and being comparable to insurance. And was directed more at cellphones then the radio screen in your vehicle. I don't think I've seen any automotive screen protectors that made that claim. But this has gone off track far enough. Back to your regularly scheduled bickering and complaining ..

Ickabod

Reaction score

Ickabod

Reaction score
And yes, I bought the KYKR premium screen protector. Just another thing I bought to protect my investment in my truck. Just like the ceramic coating and tonneau cover. Sure I could have gone with the cheaper ones, but I went with the reviews that people had with different ones and made my choice based on that.

Users who are viewing this thread