5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite low-cost Amazon upgrade?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn’t bring myself to spend $40 on a screen protector. I got a different brand matte screen protector for $16 and it works just as well. Probably the exact same thing sold by a different vendor.
When most of us bought the Kykr screen protector, it was the only available tempered glass matte option.

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
Cupholder Hero protective inserts for all the little cubby holes and knurled aluminum covers to go over all the rotary knobs (available in multiple colors).

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have my charger in place, been running it for awhile. I have an iPhone 12 with an otterbox case. Alot of times it would start charging and stop. Switched to a MagSafe case and it’s much better. If using Waze and pandora at the same time, it kind of just maintains the charge, not really increasing if. Also had to use command strips to mount it because it kept falling off when sitting in the hot sun. Thanks for the help!
View attachment 161416
View attachment 161417
Awesome I’m glad you got it working better for you!! I love mine I have a small thin Otterbox case on my iPhone 12 and it works great I mean if I’m using Waze and Spotify at the same time it’s not going to charge it up but it will def maintain the battery for sure but if I’m not using those it will def charge it.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn’t bring myself to spend $40 on a screen protector. I got a different brand matte screen protector for $16 and it works just as well. Probably the exact same thing sold by a different vendor.
Lesson I learned a long time ago spend a little more for a tried and trued product that I know will work or take a chance and buy it twice glad it worked out for you though.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Awesome I’m glad you got it working better for you!! I love mine I have a small thin Otterbox case on my iPhone 12 and it works great I mean if I’m using Waze and Spotify at the same time it’s not going to charge it up but it will def maintain the battery for sure but if I’m not using those it will def charge it.
Yep definitely and improvement. Now that I have a MagSafe case, I’m thinking about putting a MagSafe charger in the same spot. You think that would work? Might actually charge instead of maintaining?

John Galt

Reaction score
Lesson I learned a long time ago spend a little more for a tried and trued product that I know will work or take a chance and buy it twice glad it worked out for you though.
oh I did. I just bought it from a different vendor that wasn’t charging highway robbery prices for a piece of laminated sticky glass.

when buying cheap Chinese trinkets I leaned a long time ago that they all come from the same factory and I should spend as little as possible for them.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh I did. I just bought it from a different vendor that wasn’t charging highway robbery prices for a piece of laminated sticky glass.

when buying cheap Chinese trinkets I leaned a long time ago that they all come from the same factory and I should spend as little as possible for them.
Well to be specific Kykr tempered glass is Japanese Asahi Glass which is why it is more expensive because it is simply just better tempered glass but as I said before I’m glad it works for your application.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Honestly the plastic that comes on most phones by default is a good enough cover for the Ram's screen.

The screens they use on these things are terrible to touch and the oil from your skin sitting on an screen in the hot sun for days doesn't sound very good.
I'm using this and it was $16 when I bought it and it works just fine. Not saying the other things aren't good, but guys its a screen protector on a screen that only needs protection from your fingers and the sun...

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly the plastic that comes on most phones by default is a good enough cover for the Ram's screen.

The screens they use on these things are terrible to touch and the oil from your skin sitting on an screen in the hot sun for days doesn't sound very good.
I'm using this and it was $16 when I bought it and it works just fine. Not saying the other things aren't good, but guys its a screen protector on a screen that only needs protection from your fingers and the sun...
Lol I’m not arguing about it in anyway just stating the facts and stopping misinformation.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Those cheap 3rd party screen protectors are just cheap chicom tempered glass and not very scratch resistant.

The Kykr (AGC Dragontail) glass is similar to Corning's Gorilla Glass. Yes, it commands a premium price, but theses and chicom tempered glass are not the same products. You didn't buy "it" cheaper, you bought a cheaper product. If you scratch the cheap one and need to replace it, now how much did you spend? Buy once, cry once.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Those cheap 3rd party screen protectors are just cheap chicom tempered glass and not very scratch resistant.

The Kykr (AGC Dragontail) glass is similar to Corning's Gorilla Glass. Yes, it commands a premium price, but theses and chicom tempered glass are not the same products. You didn't buy "it" cheaper, you bought a cheaper product. If you scratch the cheap one and need to replace it, now how much did you spend? Buy once, cry once.
My screen isn't scratched a year later. I also don't use my keys to press the buttons on it.
If it was a phone screen sure, do you use pointed objects on your trucks radio?
I'm sure the Keke is very nice, I'm also sure there are clones of it on the market for half the price if not less, then website even claims "designed in the USA" not made. If it's in Japan, it's in China.
Never thought people would be fighting about radio screen protectors on a truck fourm LOL

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My screen isn't scratched a year later. I also don't use my keys to press the buttons on it.
I'm sure the Keke is very nice, I'm also sure there are clones of it on the market for half the price if not less, then website even claims "designed in the USA" not made. If it's in Japan, it's in China.
Never thought people would be fighting about radio screen protectors on a truck fourm LOL
I think it’s more of the principle that someone is basically calling you an idiot for spending more money on a superior product that no are not the same. It is not so much about “scratching it with your keys” it’s about having a wreak and having 12 inches of cheap glass shatter in your face because someone didn’t want to spend $20 more.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
My favorite low cost upgrade are my bed lights.

Xprite White Truck Pickup Bed Light Kits, 72 LED Rock Lighting Accessory w/ On|Off Switch, Universal for Footwells, Cargo Rail Lights, UTV ATV, Cars Underglow Running Boards, Golf Cart, Motorcycle https://a.co/d/7aV6MW6

View attachment 148772 View attachment 148775 View attachment 148776

I also have a small list of stuff that I bought from them including my Hemi hitch receiver cover, tonneau cover, seat covers, tow mirrors, and a few other misc things so far. But I've only had the truck for about 10 weeks.
Do you have instructions on how you did this?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yea, I'm sure you're right.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
My favorite low cost upgrade are my bed lights.

Xprite White Truck Pickup Bed Light Kits, 72 LED Rock Lighting Accessory w/ On|Off Switch, Universal for Footwells, Cargo Rail Lights, UTV ATV, Cars Underglow Running Boards, Golf Cart, Motorcycle https://a.co/d/7aV6MW6

View attachment 148772 View attachment 148775 View attachment 148776

I also have a small list of stuff that I bought from them including my Hemi hitch receiver cover, tonneau cover, seat covers, tow mirrors, and a few other misc things so far. But I've only had the truck for about 10 weeks.
You are the man, the winner of the best Amazon upgrades so far!

John Galt

Reaction score

If there was any danger of me dropping my Uconnect this might matter. As it is, it’s just a matte surface for a touchscreen.

Maybe the $40 IS better. For my application….I don’t see any reason to spend more. On my Durango I just kept that plastic it came with from the factory and until one of my know-it-all friends was in the passenger seat, noticed it and decided to educate me on removing the plastic cover on my touchscreen without asking.

He ended up needing to arrange for another ride back.

Point is, the cheap Chinese knockoff is harder than the plastic and the plastic worked for me until someone pulled it off.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the life of me I’ve been wondering why anybody needs a screen protector. Been using touchscreens on vehicles, phones and endless machines at work for 20 years and never had issues with any getting scratched. At the very worse fingerprints which easily wipe off with a few swipes using a microfiber towel. Just about every touchscreen I use seems almost indestructible and virtually scratch proof to normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/