5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I installed at 1Kmiles. Checked it at 2K, and it had about 1 oz., mostly oil with a hint of gas odor. Checked again at 3,500, and it had about 1 1/2 oz. of the same. I’ll probably move to 2,500 mile intervals (with 5K oil changes). It doesn’t take a minute to dump it. With the Mishimoto mounted by the radiator, it’s going to get considerably more condensation in cold months, so living here in the Midwest, I’ll probably go back to 1K intervals. There’s absolutely no reason to let it fill up.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I just emptied mine and got about 4-6 oz as usual. Roughly equivalent to one of the little 2cycle engine additive cans. I do it every oil change. Usually the morning before so it's not so hot on the hands.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just emptied mine and got about 4-6 oz as usual. Roughly equivalent to one of the little 2cycle engine additive cans. I do it every oil change. Usually the morning before so it's not so hot on the hands.
Have you noticed any difference in the engine itself with the can? I can't decide if I'm going to spend the money on one.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you noticed any difference in the engine itself with the can? I can't decide if I'm going to spend the money on one.
$60 is well worth it to keep that crap out of the engine. No need to pay any more than that. Any more than that and you are just paying for a brand name on the catch can, and not getting any added benefit

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$60 is well worth it to keep that crap out of the engine. No need to pay any more than that. Any more than that and you are just paying for a brand name on the catch can, and not getting any added benefit
I'm sure I saw it before, but do you happen to have a link to one you suggest?
Edit: Nevermind. I went back and found it. (y)

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's the whole point. You are NOT suppose to notice a difference with the engine lol.
A catch can "catches" things that may or may not just burn off.
On some engines a catch would provide a better benefit of having. More so with GDI engines (which the Hemi is not).

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
True, but who doesn't want to see a shiny brand-name product on their $xx,000.00 truck 😉

ram0686

Reaction score
I bought a cheap one. Worked ok. Had oil residue in outlet hose. Also had a EVAP code from time to time. I then bought the Mishimoto can. Much better and caught more moisture based oil in the winter months. Didn't care for the price.. but it seems like a better filtration system

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a cheap one. Worked ok. Had oil residue in outlet hose. Also had a EVAP code from time to time. I then bought the Mishimoto can. Much better and caught more moisture based oil in the winter months. Didn't care for the price.. but it seems like a better filtration system
There are cheap ones that don't work as well. Have to understand how they work, and how they are built. The one I run is the same set up for internal baffles as the more expensive ones. Just have to add your own steel wool.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are cheap ones that don't work as well. Have to understand how they work, and how they are built. The one I run is the same set up for internal baffles as the more expensive ones. Just have to add your own steel wool.
Where does the steel wool go?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And that catch can is $42 now. When I bought it, it was $60. Not many things have gone down in price lately

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And that catch can is $42 now. When I bought it, it was $60. Not many things have gone down in price lately
That's the exact one I got for $42. Just normal steel wool? Not fine?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's the whole point. You are NOT suppose to notice a difference with the engine lol.
A catch can "catches" things that may or may not just burn off.
On some engines a catch would provide a better benefit of having. More so with GDI engines (which the Hemi is not).
Anything that stops oil from entering the combustion chamber and burned is not a bad thing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Based on everyone's reviews I went ahead and bought the Mishimoto one on Amazon. How often are you all emptying it? When you can remember? Every couple thousand miles?
I empty my Mishimoto every couple months, or just before going on any kind of long trip. Not that I need to empty it that often, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Based on everyone's reviews I went ahead and bought the Mishimoto one on Amazon. How often are you all emptying it? When you can remember? Every couple thousand miles?
I don't have that particular brand but I installed mine and drove it like normal for 2 weeks then checked it. It had maybe a half ounce in it. I dumped it and checked again 30 days later and maybe slightly more was in it. It's been a few months since I checked it but I'm going to wait til I change the oil to dump it again

Users who are viewing this thread