5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just emptied mine after 6500 miles\6 months and I got 7oz of black oil. no water vapor.
Shocked me with how much came out

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Installed the Mishimoto can over the weekend. I was really impressed with the quality. Was slightly skeptical about actually getting $200 worth for an oil catch can. It's definitely well engineered, especially the bracket which mounts up to the fan shroud perfectly.

2019Raven

Reaction score
Installed the J&L can over the weekend. It was super easy to do. Will be checking frequ as the can is only 3oz until I gain an understanding on how often to drain it. B6E0D7E4-0EB2-45C2-85B9-9CC05D432C4E.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 142690 Installed the Amazon special. Seems made well enough to me.
It's just as good of quality of materials and build as any of the more expensive cans. Just use the drain valve to empty it. I unscrewed it for the first time I emptied it because I wanted to see the level inside the an to judge how often to empty. Had a rough time getting the o-ring to sit right when screwing back together

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Installed the J&L can over the weekend. It was super easy to do. Will be checking frequ as the can is only 3oz until I gain an understanding on how often to drain it. View attachment 142689
That’s what I’ve ran on my Coyote since new. Seems to do a pretty decent job, although I get just the slightest little bit of mist in the outlet hose. I empty it every 1K miles. Just don’t let it build up in the can and you will be fine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish there was a Mopar catch can to install.
Why does there have to be a Mopar one? I mean, if you want to spend the money you can get a Billettech catch can with the Mopar logo engraved on it

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got a 5 day time out on Facebook for saying this, but Americans people are too lazy to have factory installed catch and cans. Most would never empty them, and then complain about the check engine light for emissions it would cause.
Fixed it for you. American's don't have a monopoly on laziness. (y)

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what I mean - I wish it was a factory option like it should be.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Well, I opened the Mishimoto can after only maybe 200-300 miles since installing. Curiosity got the best of me. There was a surprising amount of oil in it. I wouldn't consider it "a lot" so to speak, but more than I thought. The hose going out the can back into the motor was bone-dry. It's working as well as you could ever expect, it seems.

I imagine the reason you don't see these as a factory option is because the average vehicle owner here in the USA probably never opens the hood. Granted, most people get their oil changed by someone else so they could conceivably have the person doing the oil change empty it. Otherwise, these cans would probably get full to the brim and start pushing loads of captured oil into the intake.

SueHarada

Reaction score
Got one on mine, have one on my plane, cannot actually tell any perf. gains, but the plugs burn clean and I did take a peek inside the intake, no carbon build up.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Got one on mine, have one on my plane, cannot actually tell any perf. gains, but the plugs burn clean and I did take a peek inside the intake, no carbon build up.
They don't add any performance gains, so I'm not surprised you didn't notice any.

SueHarada

Reaction score
Well I got one and yes, it runs smoother, as for performance? mpg is still the same, cleaner intake? yes, plugs look great, the only down side, you'll be emptying it out once a week.

Users who are viewing this thread