5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

SAURKRT

Reaction score
My biggest disappointment is that I didn't make the switch to Ram from GMC sooner...

But, here are my run on minor items;
  1. E85 use would be nice (not in my area, but would be good for others) in mid-west.
  2. When taking calls in Ram, UConnect should turn down heating fan, for noise reduction.
  3. Would like the thigh support to be a bit better in seat, also option for seat to go higher, or wheel to go lower, hard to see 7" info center behind wheel settings I choose.
  4. Brake pad monitoring would be nice.
  5. Shorter fuel mileage tracking, 25, 50 miles, etc.
  6. Doors should all unlock when putting truck in park.
  7. Turn signal light on mirror side of both side mirrors, allowing cars on your side to see if you are turning, second lane, etc.
  8. Elimination of SiriusXM channels you don't want to listen to.
  9. iWatch alert from UConnect app (better sense of if truck started, doors locked, etc.)
  10. Larger spare tire, 18" with 22" tires kinda a goof.
  11. For Black Out edition, put black lug nuts and black door moldings on.
  12. Ram rear mats should have lift up option for smugglers hatches.
  13. Where is the rubber mat for a 5'7" bed with RamBox?
  14. Eliminate antennae in 7" cluster, taking up too much room for actual band names, song names, channel info, etc.

Added, no “oh crap” handle above passenger doors. and a wider mirror (make it more of rectangle to see more of the rear view...probably done to see more of the view out the windshield, but can't see the rear corners of the truck very well.

OK, first thought - good thing you're not OCD besides...:rolleyes:

A few counters:
2. No thanks. Comfort trumps convenience every day. If I'm in a situation where answering a call is not feasible because of ambient noise, I don't answer it. OR, change the ambient noise (move to a quieter room, turn down the stereo system, or even turn down that super noisy ventilation fan).
6. I can see wanting that for an option - but in no way should it be an unchangeable default. But maybe you never lived in NYC...
7. Yours doesn't do that?
10. Do you normally ride around on your spare tire?

kittyjo

Reaction score
That's not a disappointment with the Truck, it's a disappointment with Yourself...

(even IF you ordered it that way and it came in different - you don't HAVE to take delivery)
True lol now that I don’t have those options just got to get airbags installed to help tow boat better with pushing max weight limit. Max tow 8240lbs

SAURKRT

Reaction score
I think for the price, missing a few things that should be standard:

Passive entry
Blind spot monitoring
Auto lock when you walk away
Air ride should have a auto lower feature when parked.
Rear USB ports
Bed lights
Security alarm

All those things ARE standard, if you pick the right trim/configuration...

Comes down to what your interpretation of "for the price" means versus theirs.

JustMe

Reaction score
Service centers blow *** - almost all of them in my area save one are really pretty terrible. I called a new place last week as I was going to be out of town and thought I’d check this one out and get an oil change, they refused to give me an appointment over the phone unless I gave them my VIN. Who carries that around with them??

my local Place is slowly improving- id still buy from them again but they never fill up the coffee makers and until recently never answered the phone
To answer your Question . . . YOU DO, in your wallet & in your glovebox your Vehicle Insurance Card has your VIN #, oh and it just so happens so does your Trucks Windshield, duh ! But your having a "bad day?" so I can understand the forgetfulness under stress . . . been there, done that ! I see a RAM 3500HD in your future . . . Stay safe out there.

Last edited:

Cravenfan

Reaction score
OK, first thought - good thing you're not OCD besides...:rolleyes:

A few counters:
2. No thanks. Comfort trumps convenience every day. If I'm in a situation where answering a call is not feasible because of ambient noise, I don't answer it. OR, change the ambient noise (move to a quieter room, turn down the stereo system, or even turn down that super noisy ventilation fan).
6. I can see wanting that for an option - but in no way should it be an unchangeable default. But maybe you never lived in NYC...
7. Yours doesn't do that?
10. Do you normally ride around on your spare tire?

Not OCD, just detailed and one's opinion on how the product would be improved, from my perspective. Everyone can have an opinion.

I'll revise my post...#6 should be an option, either unlock all doors putting into park, keep locked, fronts only, etc. #7, I'll revise, GMC had the arrow blinkers on the mirror side, so those on your blind spot could see your turn signal, mine does have the light on the front side. #10, maybe you've never been to the North Maine Woods. :cool:

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Two issues that I have considering that my 2020 Rebel listed for over 53K on the sticker.

1) All of these trucks should have remote start regardless of packages and/or options for that amount of money.
2) I don't have the proximity FOB as my 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Wrangler did, so I'm always having to remember to unlock, and lock the doors as I approach or walk away.

But let's be honest here, both of these complaints are like 1st world problems that I can easily live with, so just more of a complaint for a vehicle that has such a high list price. Otherwise love the truck!

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I finally settled on 'one' thing I strongly dislike after a year of ownership -

the hokey programming of the system - this covers pretty much all electronic parts which seem to be a consensus of 'failed attempts'

I deactivated rear braking because it's a joke
the stereo glitches often. but not consistent enough to replicate
screen dimming % from day to night is appallingly bad

If there's an update in the future that fixes these things, great, but as these trucks shipped, anything electrically controlled seems to have their programming rushed.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I finally settled on 'one' thing I strongly dislike after a year of ownership -

the hokey programming of the system - this covers pretty much all electronic parts which seem to be a consensus of 'failed attempts'

I deactivated rear braking because it's a joke
the stereo glitches often. but not consistent enough to replicate
screen dimming % from day to night is appallingly bad

If there's an update in the future that fixes these things, great, but as these trucks shipped, anything electrically controlled seems to have their programming rushed.

I pretty much agree.

But, just an FYI on the rear braking thing. Mine was really bad, too. Then I read on here that someone else's was really bad and they complained to their dealer and the dealer actually fixed it. Some kind of firmware update, I think.

I had my truck in the shop for a clunking noise and the dealer flashed all the computers in my truck with updated firmware. That flash did not fix the clunk, but ever since then my rear braking seems to work okay. No more emergency brake activations just from detecting the gutter as I'm backing into my driveway.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me it is the low ride height of a stock 4x4 vs other trucks. 275/55/20 is a joke for any full size 4x4 from the factory. My 2016 F150 was over an inch higher and had 275/60/20 stock. I know that there is an ORP available but they are few and far between in South Florida, only saw them on Big Horns and Longhorns. Did not want a Rebel because they do not have ventilated seats.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Don't Like: Blind Spots using tow mirrors down, shifter knob vs arm still screws me up after a year owning, height seems too low, hits rubber wind guard a lot on bumpy roads, Uconnect issues, donut spare with tow package?!, 1 DC outlet+ no AC outlet, sound system weak(Level 1 Bighorn, didn't research enough), too long (my fault) should have gone with either smaller cab or smaller bed, hard to find decent parking spots without hanging out too far, BAD lease deal (again, my fault should have kept old truck, got raped on trade and buyout price, stupid), and lastly bad trailer sway! Have tried everything, the chevy just pulled straighter on the highway.

Like: ENGINE!! The real 5.7L HEMI and tranny, what a powerhouse! And sounds great too! The tow mirrors in tow position, sees everything to the back of the trailer! Bed lights, Chrome Exhaust tips, coil springs-smooth ride, seat comfort, size of crew cab, people love riding in the back and can stretch out!
All in all a great truck, but would choose differently next time on the options/style level. Would love a Rebel or Power Wagon but $$$

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Navigation with CarPlay. Not even sure it’s an FCA issue or an Apple issue. Maps app would take several minutes to calibrate and show me in the correct location. It would always default to the same intersection in my home town, even if I was hundreds of miles away.

I did my upgrade to the 12” and navigation works great. I’ll never skip the navigation option on a new vehicle again.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not OCD, just detailed and one's opinion on how the product would be improved, from my perspective. Everyone can have an opinion.

I'll revise my post...#6 should be an option, either unlock all doors putting into park, keep locked, fronts only, etc. #7, I'll revise, GMC had the arrow blinkers on the mirror side, so those on your blind spot could see your turn signal, mine does have the light on the front side. #10, maybe you've never been to the North Maine Woods. :cool:
You should go outside, turn on your blinker, then go stand where another driver would be in your blind spot. That light is designed to be seen by them and not you inside your cab. Ford's have the same set up.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After about 3 months of ownership now in addition to the small mirror minor complaint, I will add that it is kind of annoying to lock the truck other than with the inside button on the door when exiting or using the FOB outside the truck. If you exit, close the door, and want to hit the outside button it does not take unless you wait for the lights to flash from closing the door and go off....a few seconds. Another minor thing but can be serious for those that think they locked the truck and it is really not locked...especially considering this truck does not have an auto lock feature which would be a separate complaint. When locking from outside of the truck you really need to watch and listen that the locks engage.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost 1k miles and a month of ownership. Loving this truck!

If I had to nit pick.. I can think of the following:

- no damn keypad on the driver's door.. never realized how much I used this feature until it wasn't there. I carpool and letting people access the truck to dropoff / grab gear from the covered bed/cab throughout the day without having to be there to unlock the truck was AWESOME.. yes I have Uconnect, but if I'm busy I'm usually not near my phone and Uconnect is SLOW as hell.

- the factory Nav is basically useless..

- I know I only have 1k miles, but the fuel mileage is abysmal. Think I'm on my 4th tank and the high was mid 15's and it's getting worse. Last tank was 13.5 mpg (hand calculated).. Mostly Hwy driving.. My previous Ford's were as follow's (17 F150 Limited 3.5EB 15 - 18 mpg / 15 F150 XLT Sport 5.0L 17 - 20mpg / 12 F250 Lariat 6.2L 15 - 17mpg / 13 SVT Raptor 6.2L 16 - 18mpg) I was hoping for atleast 16-19 mpg and I'm hoping it gets better with breakin.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Almost 1k miles and a month of ownership. Loving this truck!

If I had to nit pick.. I can think of the following:

- no damn keypad on the driver's door.. never realized how much I used this feature until it wasn't there. I carpool and letting people access the truck to dropoff / grab gear from the covered bed/cab throughout the day without having to be there to unlock the truck was AWESOME.. yes I have Uconnect, but if I'm busy I'm usually not near my phone and Uconnect is SLOW as hell.

- the factory Nav is basically useless..

- I know I only have 1k miles, but the fuel mileage is abysmal. Think I'm on my 4th tank and the high was mid 15's and it's getting worse. Last tank was 13.5 mpg (hand calculated).. Mostly Hwy driving.. My previous Ford's were as follow's (17 F150 Limited 3.5EB 15 - 18 mpg / 15 F150 XLT Sport 5.0L 17 - 20mpg / 12 F250 Lariat 6.2L 15 - 17mpg / 13 SVT Raptor 6.2L 16 - 18mpg) I was hoping for atleast 16-19 mpg and I'm hoping it gets better with breakin.
I agree with mid 15's being bad for mostly highway driving. in my rebel with mostly highway driving I get 17-18. city driving significantly impacts my mpg's

PMantle

Reaction score
Coming from GM, I really miss seeing the XM artists in list view. I also miss being able to handle texts from the wheel controls and seeing the alert in the cluster.

Tkshaffer

Reaction score
Of all the trims, the Rebel should be the priority for the 360 cam and/or trail cams. Not even making it available in that trim is silly. Wasn't enough to push me away from the Rebel but I definitely could have used it with my tricky driveway that requires an austin powers 100 point turn to exit.

Users who are viewing this thread