5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

Dynamite

Reaction score
Im dissapointed about this two things!!!
H/K 19 speakers premium sound and exhaust system compared to my 2014 Laramie... Alpine was far away better and also that louder exhaust start up sound.

kittyjo

Reaction score
How many folks have the 33 gallon tanks and are disappointed ? I have the 3.92 gears but honestly can’t swear I notice a difference.
Well when ur gonna take a 26ft boat on long distance trips from nc to fl every summer haha 800miles one way.

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
AC PERFORMANCE, and the cold seats could be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2nd thing I hate about my ram is with the cabin lights..
A- When I turn my truck off the cabin goes dark until I open a door or i have to manually turn on the lights which means I have to reach back in and manually turn them off. Lame
B- I can't tell you how many times this happens to me. The cabin lights turn off too soon when door is ajar and I have to close and re-open the door to activate lights again,

(If there is a setting to fix these issues I am overlooking please inform me)

maddog49

Reaction score
Im dissapointed about this two things!!!
H/K 19 speakers premium sound and exhaust system compared to my 2014 Laramie... Alpine was far away better and also that louder exhaust start up sound.
Have you had the amp software update done? Made a huge difference to pre June built trucks.

Dynamite

Reaction score
Have you had the amp software update done? Made a huge difference to pre June built trucks.

I heard about that here at the forum but i dont know how it works i should call the dealer to verify if they can performe that update?
Mine its a 2019 made on 07-18

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update or not, I've had it both ways and the HK just sucks. The speakers are crap and there's a huge bass boost on the subwoofer from the amplifier. Only way to fix it is DIY.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Service centers blow *** - almost all of them in my area save one are really pretty terrible. I called a new place last week as I was going to be out of town and thought I’d check this one out and get an oil change, they refused to give me an appointment over the phone unless I gave them my VIN. Who carries that around with them??

my local Place is slowly improving- id still buy from them again but they never fill up the coffee makers and until recently never answered the phone

Cravenfan

Reaction score
My biggest disappointment is that I didn't make the switch to Ram from GMC sooner...

But, here are my run on minor items;
  1. E85 use would be nice (not in my area, but would be good for others) in mid-west.
  2. When taking calls in Ram, option to have UConnect turn down heating/AC fan, for noise reduction.
  3. Would like the thigh support to be a bit better in seat, also option for seat to go higher, or wheel to go lower, hard to see 7" info center behind wheel settings I choose.
  4. Brake pad monitoring would be nice.
  5. Shorter fuel mileage tracking, 25, 50 miles, etc.
  6. Should have an option that all doors unlock when putting truck in park. People in the back can't get out, unless I remember to unlock all the doors.
  7. Turn signal light on mirror side of both side mirrors, allowing cars on your side to see if you are turning, second lane, etc. (Light on mirror side, so those in your blind spot can see you want to turn.)
  8. Elimination of SiriusXM channels you don't want to listen to. (Also, would be nice to have ability to pause, turn off Ram, come back 20 minutes later to pick up SiriusXM where you left it, like GMC.)
  9. iWatch alert from UConnect app (better sense of if truck started, doors locked, etc.) Even on the phone, I don't always know if it started. It states it received the message to start, but not start?
  10. Larger spare tire, 18" with 22" tires kinda a goof.
  11. For Black Out edition, put black lug nuts and black door moldings on.
  12. Ram rear mats should have lift up option for smugglers hatches.
  13. Where is the rubber mat for a 5'7" bed with RamBox?
  14. Eliminate antennae symbol in 7" cluster, taking up too much room for actual band names, song names, channel info, etc.

Added, no “oh crap” handle above passenger doors. and a wider rear view mirror (make it more of rectangle to see more of the rear view...probably done to see more of the view out the windshield, but can't see the rear corners of the truck very well).

Last edited:

Reverse

Reaction score
The thing that disappointed me most was the dealership experience. This is a dealer I have been going to for service with three FCA vehicles for years, they know me by name. Bought a Big Horn there in 2014.

You'd think they'd be happy to sell me a Limited. Instead, it was a long slog with BS ales tactics, including the old lame ''well, I guess I won't get a commission on this one' (?). On top of that, when I came to pick up the truck the next day, it had not been cleaned at all (mud on outside from driving it out of unpaved lot). No apologies or attempts to really rectify. To top it all off, I found out when I drove it for a day (getting to know all the features) that the automatic high beams and lane keep didn't work. Turned out to be a faulty camera (in pod on windscreen), so they apparently didn't even do a delivery inspection.

It's only because this was the only truck that met my requirements in a 100 mile radius that I stuck with it, but I will never buy there again. Will still go to their service department, since they are the best of the 5 or so dealers in the area - the rest are all awful.

I'd say other than perceived quality, the dealers are FCA's biggest problem - most are just plain $%$holes (on the sales floor).

Oh, and one more thing (and this is something I have noticed often over the years I have been dealing with FCA/RAM): whenever I have a negative experience at the dealer, there's never a survey email. Uneventful visits to dealer (sales or service) do result in a survey emal. I guess that's one way to keep those satisfaction numbers looking good :p

Maybe @RamCares can shed light on that practice?

Scrambler

Reaction score
My biggest disappointment with my 19' Limited w/V6 is the rear cabin noise which includes both the wind/road noise as well as the exhaust system noise. I expected the Limited to have more sound deadening materials than what it came with.
Otherwise, compared to my outdated & rough riding 17' Silverado, I LOVE MY RAM!

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My biggest disappointment is that I didn't make the switch to Ram from GMC sooner...

1. E85 use would be nice (not in my area, but would be good for others) in mid-west.
  2. When taking calls in Ram, UConnect should turn down heating fan, for noise reduction.
  3. Would like the thigh support to be a bit better in seat, also option for seat to go higher, or wheel to go lower, hard to see 7" info center behind wheel settings I choose.
  6. Doors should all unlock when putting truck in park.
  7. Turn signal light on mirror side of both side mirrors, allowing cars on your side to see if you are turning, second lane, etc.
  8. Elimination of SiriusXM channels you don't want to listen to.
  9. iWatch alert from UConnect app (better sense of if truck started, doors locked, etc.)
  14. Eliminate antennae in 7" cluster, taking up too much room for actual band names, song names, channel info, etc.
As far as...
#2. I believe there may be a setting that allows for fan speed reduction when calls are made. Mine used to do this but I disabled it last year, as I live in a cold weather climate, and did not want the heater to slow down while on the phone. Can't remember where the setting is at though. Maybe under phone settings.
#6. I used the Settings App to enable doors unlock when placed in park.
#7. My truck has the turn signals on both side mirrors. You can't see them from inside the cab, but people driving along side/behind me can
#14. Go into your Settings under the 7" Screen and set that up to display whatever you want. You can place the audio info in the main display, and it should give you all the information you want, if you haven't already done so.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many folks have the 33 gallon tanks and are disappointed ? I have the 3.92 gears but honestly can’t swear I notice a difference.
That was a deal-breaker for me. It was one of my "must haves". I drive 500+ miles a week and didn't want to fill up 2-3 times a week.

I am still disappointed/upset that I can't reverse with the driver side door open...
It was mentioned in another thread - you can with seatbelt fastened. I've never tried it to confirm though.
You can back up with the door open as long as the driver's seatbelt is fastened. I do it regularly parking in my driveway.

Last edited:

cw_mi

Reaction score
This issue is more me than the truck, I should have expected it.
1) Fuel mileage. It is a lot worse that I thought it would be.

As far as things out of my hands

1) Throttle/ Pedal lag
2) Paint quality

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

2. When taking calls in Ram, UConnect should turn down heating fan, for noise reduction.
  6. Doors should all unlock when putting truck in park.
  7. Turn signal light on mirror side of both side mirrors, allowing cars on your side to see if you are turning, second lane, etc.
  8. Elimination of SiriusXM channels you don't want to listen to.
  9. iWatch alert from UConnect app (better sense of if truck started, doors locked, etc.)
  14. Eliminate antennae in 7" cluster, taking up too much room for actual band names, song names, channel info, etc.
I must amend my “Help”. WRT #2, I just went out to truck to find it so that I could give instructions, must have confused that setting with my previous Raptor. Could not find it...Sorry, and I also now understand what u mean by #14...antenna Too Big. I never use that, so I didn’t get what you were saying.

Users who are viewing this thread