5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the 'A' off button for?

cubsfaninsc

Reaction score
Good to know. I always thought everything with the auto off would have a button. Our trade for the ram yesterday was a 2020 Chevy traverse with auto start/stop and it didn’t have a button to turn it off. Blew my mind. Had to either buy a third party thing like the tazer but for Chevy, or drive in manual and just put it in the highest gear. I hated that. Thankfully the ram with etorque isn’t too bad when starting back up. And the button helps if I get sick of it.
I agree about not having a button to turn it off. My wife's 2015 Chevy Impala LTZ has auto start/stop and there is no button to turn that feature off. Drives me nuts to say the least.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
What product are you talking about? The tazer? Or is there a different start/stop eliminator for these?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Rebel has the diesel so no e-torque.
My Cherokee has the 2L turbo with start/stop but it is by far not as sophisticated as the Hemi with e-torque.
Advantages of the e-torque
1. Adds 130 lb/ft of torque, mainly for city driving, the 48 volt alternator/motor helps the truck move from a stop and for slow speed driving, it also smooth the gear shifts.
2. It starts the motor while start/stop is activated, always on by default. All Hemi trucks have the conventional 12 volt starter, the e-torque only starts the engine after it has warmed up.
3. The engine can be stopped for up to 10 minutes because of the 48 volt battery.

Statement # 1 is incorrect, it doesn't add the torque, it uses the 130.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Good to know. I always thought everything with the auto off would have a button. Our trade for the ram yesterday was a 2020 Chevy traverse with auto start/stop and it didn’t have a button to turn it off. Blew my mind. Had to either buy a third party thing like the tazer but for Chevy, or drive in manual and just put it in the highest gear. I hated that. Thankfully the ram with etorque isn’t too bad when starting back up. And the button helps if I get sick of it.
On Chevy's if you just slightly lift on the brake before you come to a full stop, the engine will stay on.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I agree about not having a button to turn it off. My wife's 2015 Chevy Impala LTZ has auto start/stop and there is no button to turn that feature off. Drives me nuts to say the least.
Lift up on the brake prior to full stop, then reapply...works every time.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
On Chevy's if you just slightly lift on the brake before you come to a full stop, the engine will stay on.
Correct...and for most all vehicles it will do the same. My new 2021 eTorque has the S/S and I have to say I am very surprised how smooth and unnoticeable it is compared to other vehicles I have driven that have this feature. Actually thinking about just leaving it alone and not adding the Eliminator device once it becomes available.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Statement # 1 is incorrect, it doesn't add the torque, it uses the 130.
Yep you’re absolutely right, I should have written “has” not “adds”, no matter the wording it uses that 48volt 130lb/ft of electric torque to help the truck move.
I would be curious to see the real world difference in mpg between two identical truck with and without the e-torque, side by side in rush hour traffic in New York or Toronto, for one or two hours of driving!

I would appreciate any comments from e-torque owners, specifically someone than went from the 5.7 Hemi without e-torque to with the Hemi with e-torque. Does it really stop for up to 10 minutes?

I live in a small northern Ontario city, less than 50,000 people and usually never stopped longer than the red traffic signal.
My Cherokee Trailhawk has start/stop but it does not stop for long periods of time, sometimes I get a message “vehicle start/stop not available because of extreme temperature” when it’s -30 or above 30 degree C for example.

In my case I don’t benefit from the SS feature in my home town, however I do a lot of travelling, and drive to Florida, the SS does not bother me, it is seem less and does what it is designed to do.

I have a hard time understanding why so many people deactivate the SS system every time they use their vehicles, or even pay to add permanent deactivation devices.

I wish my Jeep had the e-torque but there is no room under the hood.

There would be plenty of room for the e-torque in my truck but it is not available because I have the Diesel engine.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep you’re absolutely right, I should have written “has” not “adds”, no matter the wording it uses that 48volt 130lb/ft of electric torque to help the truck move.
I would be curious to see the real world difference in mpg between two identical truck with and without the e-torque, side by side in rush hour traffic in New York or Toronto, for one or two hours of driving!

I would appreciate any comments from e-torque owners, specifically someone than went from the 5.7 Hemi without e-torque to with the Hemi with e-torque. Does it really stop for up to 10 minutes?

I live in a small northern Ontario city, less than 50,000 people and usually never stopped longer than the red traffic signal.
My Cherokee Trailhawk has start/stop but it does not stop for long periods of time, sometimes I get a message “vehicle start/stop not available because of extreme temperature” when it’s -30 or above 30 degree C for example.

In my case I don’t benefit from the SS feature in my home town, however I do a lot of travelling, and drive to Florida, the SS does not bother me, it is seem less and does what it is designed to do.

I have a hard time understanding why so many people deactivate the SS system every time they use their vehicles, or even pay to add permanent deactivation devices.

There would be plenty of room for the e-torque in my truck but it is not available because I have the Diesel engine.
That is the beauty of the Eliminator in that it does not permanently deactivate the SS system. It simply retains the setting the last time the SS button is pressed. So you can press it to turn it off and it stays off until it is turned back on and then stays on until turned off again - regardless of the ignition cycles.

We use it when in city driving conditions when in stop/go traffic but turn it off for the majority of the time when in our rural area or if driving conditions require a sure “get up and go”.

We’ve found it to be with every penny as it provides us with flexibility to turn it for extended periods of time when we don’t need or want SS, and turn it on if we do want it for extended periods of time. Additionally, it gives each driver the option...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is the beauty of the Eliminator in that it does not permanently deactivate the SS system. It simply retains the setting the last time the SS button is pressed. So you can press it to turn it off and it stays off until it is turned back on and then stays on until turned off again - regardless of the ignition cycles.

We use it when in city driving conditions when in stop/go traffic but turn it off for the majority of the time when in our rural area or if driving conditions require a sure “get up and go”.

We’ve found it to be with every penny as it provides us with flexibility to turn it for extended periods of time when we don’t need or want SS, and turn it on if we do want it for extended periods of time. Additionally, it gives each driver the option...
Hopefully, it will be available sometime early next year for the 2021. I'll still buy one...however, I am VERY impressed with how the SS works in the eTorque as it's barely noticeable and super smooth. The smoothest of any vehicle I've ever driven.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully, it will be available sometime early next year for the 2021. I'll still buy one...however, I am VERY impressed with how the SS works in the eTorque as t's barely noticeable and super smooth. The smoothest of any vehicle I've ever driven.
Agree. My son has an F150 and it is pretty smooth but the the two family Ram eTorques are smooth as butter.

One more reason for the Eliminator it is like a set of training wheels. Let’s face it, for most of us older folks, if the engine shuts off when driving it isn’t a good feeling as we don’t have confidence the engine will start when we need to get going. With the Eliminator, it helps us build confidence in the system by allowing us to use the system as needed until we are confident it will work start every time - and quickly.

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, seems a lifetime has wizzed by my eyes since I started this thread. A lot of interesting discussions and interesting solutions by different manufacturers for disabling the stop-start feature.

For those that asked why I posted a pic of an e-torque dash when my signature says I have a non-etorque Rebel, you were correct, I was an early member here waiting in my 2016 Rebel for my 2019 Rebel to be delivered. I wanted out of the air-ride nightmare so many of us central Canadian owners had been cursed with and the 2019 Rebel was available with standard coil suspension as well as the e-Torque.

I found that image in some of the FCA propaganda floating around at the time and wasn't sure what the "A" was for since at that early stage even the salesman were out of the loop about e-Torque. Mine was so confused he thought you had to have both e-Torque and the advanced safety group together... so I didn't get it. Regretfully so. Not all sad though, I've since learned that the advanced safety group isn't without it's own issues. But I digress.

We've since bought the wife a new 2020 CR-V and Honda knows how to button up a dashboard just like Ram... everything that should have a button, does and it's in a handy spot. I find my Rebel and the CR-V have a lot of smart interior design similarities... one of the reasons we chose it.

I'm still perplexed by the 2016 Volvo XC90 we drove in England not having a standalone button to disable the stop-start... you'd think on a $90k vehicle they'd have figured that was important!

Cheers

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm still perplexed by the 2016 Volvo XC90 we drove in England not having a standalone button to disable the stop-start... you'd think on a $90k vehicle they'd have figured that was important!

Cheers
I think that has more to do with the market than how much a vehicle costs. Cities in some countries mandate stop/start systems for all new cars (Shanghai and Beijing for instance). Because of that the car makers may not be able to include a way for the user to disable it. I had similar experiences as you in the UK (Cooper Mini S) and Germany (BMW 3 series). Those cars both had stop/start that couldn't be disabled with a button. I will say the systems on those cars suuuucked. Seemed like it took forever for them to restart compared with the traffic around us. At least the system on our trucks is nearly instantaneous from the driver's point of view.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As far as your question of if it stops for up to 10 minutes I can say that it does if the following conditions are met.
1. The truck temperature is fully warmed up.
2. The cabin is not getting cold needing heat to meet the temperature setting, or the cabin is not too hot requiring the A/C to come on to meet the set temperature.
3. Brake pedal is kept completely pushed down and not let up on.
4. Electrical use is not increased by exceeding the current level of draw.

I personally have seen it shut off the truck for about 7 minutes while waiting in drive thru.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as your question of if it stops for up to 10 minutes I can say that it does if the following conditions are met.
1. The truck temperature is fully warmed up.
2. The cabin is not getting cold needing heat to meet the temperature setting, or the cabin is not too hot requiring the A/C to come on to meet the set temperature.
3. Brake pedal is kept completely pushed down and not let up on.
4. Electrical use is not increased by exceeding the current level of draw.

I personally have seen it shut off the truck for about 7 minutes while waiting in drive thru.
Thank you for responding, you said your truck was stopped for 7 minutes, that’s pretty awesome, you saved 7 minutes of idling, it’s a win win win situation, better for the engine, better for the environment and better for your wallet. How can someone not like that?

I see that you had a third generation 2007 Ram with the Hemi, a lot has changed since then, I also had previous Rams, a 1996 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 magnum engine, second generation and a 2011 Ram Outdoorsman with the Hemi fourth generation Ram. From 4 speed to 5 speed and now 8 speed transmissions on my 2020 Rebel and your Limited.

jvcnova73

Reaction score

I have 5.7 e torque and I don’t think mpg is that much better. It does shut off for a long time in perfect conditions. But if it’s hot or cold out it will start up to maintain cabin temperature. Also as soon as you put it in park it starts up. Engine will not shut off in park. I’m not going to put my foot on the brake for ten minutes. The e torque does seem to help with pulling my camper at least on take off.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 5.7 e torque and I don’t think mpg is that much better. It does shut off for a long time in perfect conditions. But if it’s hot or cold out it will start up to maintain cabin temperature. Also as soon as you put it in park it starts up. Engine will not shut off in park. I’m not going to put my foot on the brake for ten minutes. The e torque does seem to help with pulling my camper at least on take off.
Thank you for the reply, what you are saying makes perfect sense.
In the past I always put my vehicles in neutral when at a red traffic light, even with my motorcycles, not having to hold the clutch lever.
I still do put it In neutral at a red traffic light with my Rebel, it has the diesel so no stop/start.
When I drive my wife’s Jeep I tend to forget about the stop/start, it does feel weird when I pull into the garage at home and the engine stops then I place it in park and it starts up again, in that case I’m not saving any gas!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Even if you put two vehicles that are equipped exactly the same side by side in a comparison, you will seldom qet the same fuel mileage. The only way to get an even reasonable comparison would be to run it with the same vehicle with e-torque on, and then with it off, over an extended period, and even then with differing traffic conditions, the results would be suspect. Reason says that in MOST city traffic conditions, if the engine is off at a stop light, it is not using fuel, thus saving money, and the longer the stop the more saved. Also there is the added help that the electric motor gives when leaving the stop that will add up over the long term. When looked at over the short term I suspect there will be little noticeable difference, but will add up in the longer, yearly numbers. I just have to trust that it is saving me a few bucks when in stop and go traffic and be happy with it. Or, turn it off and not give a d@m.
Life is all about choices. Ain't it a b!t#h.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even if you put two vehicles that are equipped exactly the same side by side in a comparison, you will seldom qet the same fuel mileage. The only way to get an even reasonable comparison would be to run it with the same vehicle with e-torque on, and then with it off, over an extended period, and even then with differing traffic conditions, the results would be suspect. Reason says that in MOST city traffic conditions, if the engine is off at a stop light, it is not using fuel, thus saving money, and the longer the stop the more saved. Also there is the added help that the electric motor gives when leaving the stop that will add up over the long term. When looked at over the short term I suspect there will be little noticeable difference, but will add up in the longer, yearly numbers. I just have to trust that it is saving me a few bucks when in stop and go traffic and be happy with it. Or, turn it off and not give a d@m.
Life is all about choices. Ain't it a b!t#h.
Thanks for the reply, good to hear that you really understand your truck. You’re absolutely right with the difficulty of accurate comparison of trucks.
The important thing is that you realize the benefits of the system and that you are happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread