5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the 'A' off button for?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Snap a pic of your engine and please post...I’d be interested to see what you have under the hood that provides the “start” function of your non-eTorque start/stop system.

Must be one hell of a hamster wheel and a buff hamster under there or that’s where you keep the good stuff yer smoking!

Hmmm, why would he lie about that?

Also, we have a couple of vehicles with start/stop, none of them have anything complicated for start/stop, just a heavy duty starter and AGM battery.

Apettit13

Reaction score
You might want to check under your hood...Even RAMs website clearly says that Etorque is what makes the auto start/stop function.
Lol well I’m in another state than my truck currently, but when I’m back in a couple of days I’ll be more than happy to snap pics and even a video of it. Because I assure you it’s not an etorque

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife's 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T has it. It is annoying.
I turn it off always.
You both should try driving an eTorque. Light years ahead of my brothers Tiguan with the VW “God, I pray this start stop will get me through the intersection in one piece” system. I’ve been with him once in the Tiguan when he was using it...wanted to Barney Rubble the damned thing and stick my feet through the floor boards to get it started and moving...

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol well I’m in another state than my truck currently, but when I’m back in a couple of days I’ll be more than happy to snap pics and even a video of it. Because I assure you it’s not an etorque

The main function of Etorque is to run the stop start function, yes it does some other things as well. Maybe your truck had the A button installed by mistake? Ram has done things like this before, I saw a truck on the lot with one chrome door handle and the rest body colored.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The main function of Etorque is to run the stop start function, yes it does some other things as well. Maybe your truck had the A button installed by mistake? Ram has done things like this before, I saw a truck on the lot with one chrome door handle and the rest body colored.
This is very plausible explanation.

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
You both should try driving an eTorque. Light years ahead of my brothers Tiguan with the VW “God, I pray this start stop will get me through the intersection in one piece” system. I’ve been with him once in the Tiguan when he was using it...wanted to Barney Rubble the damned thing and stick my feet through the floor boards to get it started and moving...
Nah I don't want any if that start and stop crap.
It reeks of liberal green energy BS 🤣
But seriously the Tiguan does great.
My heart is always w VWs I've owned 67 and counting...all kinds..Scirroco, gti golf, r32s, jettas. Passats..and now a CC which im building to 450whp.
But I honestly i don't think I would enjoy the etorque. I like my carbon footprint to be so big that the good Lord can see it from Heaven.:)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My girls 2020 Rav4 has auto start stop.... Everytime it kicks back on, it's like crack-smoking zombies attacking the engine..

Dusty6191

Reaction score
I was just curious. My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the auto start stop and had a button to turn it off every time you start it. I assumed the ram would have it on all their vehicles too, due to carbon emission things. Also from everything I saw, the etorque system was meant to fill in the torque gaps when driving. I didn’t realize it was meant for the auto start stop thing. I was really just worried about buying a truck with auto start stop but no button to turn it off. I ended up getting a limited last night with the etorque system. So far, so good.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was just curious. My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the auto start stop and had a button to turn it off every time you start it. I assumed the ram would have it on all their vehicles too, due to carbon emission things. Also from everything I saw, the etorque system was meant to fill in the torque gaps when driving. I didn’t realize it was meant for the auto start stop thing. I was really just worried about buying a truck with auto start stop but no button to turn it off. I ended up getting a limited last night with the etorque system. So far, so good.

I haven't seen a vehicle with auto start/stop that didn't have a off button, however most are on by default, so you will have to turn it off each time you turn on the vehicle.

That's correct, the E-Torque is meant primarily to help with torque especially at lower rpms, which helps save fuel. However, it also replaces the alternator on the RAM and it's other function is the control the start/stop function.

On my previous F150, the start / stop was nothing more than a heavy duty starter and AGM battery. However, the heads of the engine were designed to keep the oil from draining too quickly to the pan, so it got more lubrication during the start/stop operation. That's why on 2.7L F150s, you have to wait 15 minutes to check the oil level since it stays up in the upper parts of the valvetrain longer.

Dusty6191

Reaction score
I haven't seen a vehicle with auto start/stop that didn't have a off button, however most are on by default, so you will have to turn it off each time you turn on the vehicle.

That's correct, the E-Torque is meant primarily to help with torque especially at lower rpms, which helps save fuel. However, it also replaces the alternator on the RAM and it's other function is the control the start/stop function.

On my previous F150, the start / stop was nothing more than a heavy duty starter and AGM battery. However, the heads of the engine were designed to keep the oil from draining too quickly to the pan, so it got more lubrication during the start/stop operation. That's why on 2.7L F150s, you have to wait 15 minutes to check the oil level since it stays up in the upper parts of the valvetrain longer.
Good to know. I always thought everything with the auto off would have a button. Our trade for the ram yesterday was a 2020 Chevy traverse with auto start/stop and it didn’t have a button to turn it off. Blew my mind. Had to either buy a third party thing like the tazer but for Chevy, or drive in manual and just put it in the highest gear. I hated that. Thankfully the ram with etorque isn’t too bad when starting back up. And the button helps if I get sick of it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Good to know. I always thought everything with the auto off would have a button. Our trade for the ram yesterday was a 2020 Chevy traverse with auto start/stop and it didn’t have a button to turn it off. Blew my mind. Had to either buy a third party thing like the tazer but for Chevy, or drive in manual and just put it in the highest gear. I hated that. Thankfully the ram with etorque isn’t too bad when starting back up. And the button helps if I get sick of it.

Wow, that's the first I've heard without an off-button. There was no other way to turn it off, like on an options menu somewhere?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Rebel has the diesel so no e-torque.
My Cherokee has the 2L turbo with start/stop but it is by far not as sophisticated as the Hemi with e-torque.
Advantages of the e-torque
1. Adds 130 lb/ft of torque, mainly for city driving, the 48 volt alternator/motor helps the truck move from a stop and for slow speed driving, it also smooth the gear shifts.
2. It starts the motor while start/stop is activated, always on by default. All Hemi trucks have the conventional 12 volt starter, the e-torque only starts the engine after it has warmed up.
3. The engine can be stopped for up to 10 minutes because of the 48 volt battery.

Dusty6191

Reaction score
Wow, that's the first I've heard without an off-button. There was no other way to turn it off, like on an options menu somewhere?
No, it blew my mind. I joined the traverse forums to help figure it out and sure enough, no way to turn it off.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just installed an Auto Start/Stop Eliminator on my Daughter's 2019 Subaru. Works great and they make one for the 2019-2020 eTorque...the 2021 version will be out next year (they said RAM made a change to the signaling wires so the 2019-20 version doesn't work). I am on their mailing list for when it becomes available.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed an Auto Start/Stop Eliminator on my Daughter's 2019 Subaru. Works great and they make one for the 2019-2020 eTorque...the 2021 version will be out next year (they said RAM made a change to the signaling wires so the 2019-20 version doesn't work). I am on their mailing list for when it becomes available.
You’ll love it. We have it on both our 2020s and it performs flawlessly. Assume it is working great on the Subaru too. Quality company with great customer service and a quality product.

Dusty6191

Reaction score
I emailed them asking if they had a discount code I could use and they replied right away with a 15% off offer...SWEET and I was very impressed!
What product are you talking about? The tazer? Or is there a different start/stop eliminator for these?

Users who are viewing this thread