5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the 'A' off button for?

BNeal

Reaction score
Wow, that's the first I've heard without an off-button. There was no other way to turn it off, like on an options menu somewhere?
There was no way to turn it off on my 2018 BMW 5-series. My 2015 had a button, but they removed on the '18's and up.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am relatively certain he:

A. Was referring to the Push to Start button.
B. Is still enjoying his “herb” stash under the hood.
C. Sent that damned hamster over a few nights ago to kick my hiney because I heard a light knock at the door at about 2:00 am but couldn’t see anyone through the peephole!

Apettit13

Reaction score
did you get around to that photo/vid?
Holy cow I forgot about this post entirely. I never did grab a picture but after a fair amount of digging, no the truck is not an etorque, and the button is on my dash but doesn’t actually do anything. Some type of ram screwup somewhere down the line, but I do have the button none the less! Lol

Apettit13

Reaction score
Am relatively certain he:

A. Was referring to the Push to Start button.
B. Is still enjoying his “herb” stash under the hood.
C. Sent that damned hamster over a few nights ago to kick my hiney because I heard a light knock at the door at about 2:00 am but couldn’t see anyone through the peephole!
I was not referring to the push button, I keep my herb stash inside the house like a normal person, and I hate hamsters lol. I do indeed have the button, no my truck is not an etorque, the button just doesn’t do anything

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was not referring to the push button, I keep my herb stash inside the house like a normal person, and I hate hamsters lol. I do indeed have the button, no my truck is not an etorque, the button just doesn’t do anything
A picture is worth a 1000 words ;)

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holy cow I forgot about this post entirely. I never did grab a picture but after a fair amount of digging, no the truck is not an etorque, and the button is on my dash but doesn’t actually do anything. Some type of ram screwup somewhere down the line, but I do have the button none the less! Lol
that is more believable at least. as long as we all agree without the etorque, there is no stop/start functionality.

Apettit13

Reaction score
that is more believable at least. as long as we all agree without the etorque, there is no stop/start functionality.
Yeah I mean I’m by no means a ram Master, all I know is I don’t have Etorque, and I have the button. See attached lol

Attachments

• 91271EED-10FB-4C78-BA3B-9BBB8FC3ADF5.jpeg
    91271EED-10FB-4C78-BA3B-9BBB8FC3ADF5.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 25

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe it, it could have been a mistake.

However, on Rebel 2WD models, they have the hill descent button, but it doesn't work. It's there because the switch panel that has the E-locker also houses the hill descent button and it was probably just convenient to continue to use that panel during assembly. Maybe a similar situation with the OP due to his truck's equipment?

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Also as soon as you put it in park it starts up. Engine will not shut off in park. I’m not going to put my foot on the brake for ten minutes. The e torque does seem to help with pulling my camper at least on take off.
I dont get why the engine couldn't stay off in Park, at least after reaching operating temps. Also, as someone else mentioned, it does seem rather silly and redundant to pull up, engine stops, you shift to Park, engine starts and you turn vehicle off (of course, engine stops).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dont get why the engine couldn't stay off in Park, at least after reaching operating temps. Also, as someone else mentioned, it does seem rather silly and redundant to pull up, engine stops, you shift to Park, engine starts and you turn vehicle off (of course, engine stops).
Honestly, it should operate exactly the same way in Park as it does in Drive (i.e. able to shut off for a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on load). It wouldn't be able to stay off indefinitely, as it would be subjected to the same conditions. But this small change would prevent the all-too-awkward moment you just described (and which I've commented on before): easing into my garage, having the engine shut off, only to have to restart it for 1 second by shifting to Park. You can get around this by shutting it off while in Drive, but that engages the "auto-park" function and triggers warnings...probably don't want to do that every time :)

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Honestly, it should operate exactly the same way in Park as it does in Drive (i.e. able to shut off for a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on load). It wouldn't be able to stay off indefinitely, as it would be subjected to the same conditions. But this small change would prevent the all-too-awkward moment you just described (and which I've commented on before): easing into my garage, having the engine shut off, only to have to restart it for 1 second by shifting to Park. You can get around this by shutting it off while in Drive, but that engages the "auto-park" function and triggers warnings...probably don't want to do that every time :)
I may have been referring to you, but couldn't remember where I read your post at. But that's exactly right! I'm sure it's just a few more lines of coding to not have engine "wake" when shifting to Park or any other transmission selection.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may have been referring to you, but couldn't remember where I read your post at. But that's exactly right! I'm sure it's just a few more lines of coding to not have engine "wake" when shifting to Park or any other transmission selection.
I guess it would be best if the truck could read our minds, that way it would do what you want. Unfortunately, it doesn't know whether you are in the garage, or at a stop sign. Go figure. Stupid truck!!!

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I guess it would be best if the truck could read our minds, that way it would do what you want. Unfortunately, it doesn't know whether you are in the garage, or at a stop sign. Go figure. Stupid truck!!!
I dont know many people that shifts into Park at stop signs, apparently you do, though (know people that shift into Park at stop signs). It is, however pretty common to shift into Park in drive-thru lines, when waiting on people to enter or exit the vehicle, to talk to another driver out the windows (cop style).
In any case, in Park, most people aren't expecting or attempting to move, either forward or backward, so engine power usually isn't needed, just as accessories can be ran without engine power.
But again, driver stops, engine stops, driver shifts to Park, engine starts, driver turns vehicle off, engine stops. That's a bit redundant and silly, especially considering energy to start via generator or starter has to come from somewhere.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont know many people that shifts into Park at stop signs, apparently you do, though (know people that shift into Park at stop signs). It is, however pretty common to shift into Park in drive-thru lines, when waiting on people to enter or exit the vehicle, to talk to another driver out the windows (cop style).
In any case, in Park, most people aren't expecting or attempting to move, either forward or backward, so engine power usually isn't needed, just as accessories can be ran without engine power.
But again, driver stops, engine stops, driver shifts to Park, engine starts, driver turns vehicle off, engine stops. That's a bit redundant and silly, especially considering energy to start via generator or starter has to come from somewhere.
??? I guess the answer to all this is get a Prius, or an electric when they come out. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread