5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you buy?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Probably exactly that. Dude stated in his OP that he needs more room for 4 people and will tow probably about 8k lbs. 1k payload is ridiculous for his needs.
Agreed, for his needs. How kind of you to append that to the statement about it being ridiculous this time. ;)
Maybe you can get the next one that only needs to bring their cat and a bag of avocados. 🍻
I don't like avacados, and I don't allow pets in my truck. They leave too much pet hair, especially cats. :ROFLMAO:
I'd hope it's all in good fun, but maybe I'm just an a-hole. 🤣
Just because it's in good fun, doesn't mean you or I are not a-holes. 🍻
I had a 2500 a few years ago, and it wasn't fun to drive around or park in downtown Chicago, NYC, etc. That was a huge downside for me.
I test drove a couple 2500's before I bought my Limited, just because I was curious to see how they drive. I noticed a difference, but the new ones drive a lot better than the Chevy 2500 HD I used to own. I definitely don't have a need for one. But if I needed the capability I'd be happy with a 2500. But that comment was directed more towards the OP.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, for his needs. How kind of you to append that to the statement about it being ridiculous this time. ;)
I mean, it's his thread...right?

I don't like avacados, and I don't allow pets in my truck. They leave too much pet hair, especially cats. :ROFLMAO:
Zero chance you have 3.21s AND don't like avocados and cats. 🤣

Just because it's in good fun, doesn't mean you or I are not a-holes. 🍻

I test drove a couple 2500's before I bought my Limited, just because I was curious to see how they drive. I noticed a difference, but the new ones drive a lot better than the Chevy 2500 HD I used to own. I definitely don't have a need for one. But if I needed the capability I'd be happy with a 2500. But that comment was directed more towards the OP.
I test drove a 2500 Limited here in town when I was shopping around. The payload was a whopping 1657 lbs. I think I'd have to step up to a SRW 3500 or cut some stuff out of the 2500 to make it worth it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean, it's his thread...right?
That's true, maybe we should let it get back on track. 🍻
I test drove a 2500 Limited here in town when I was shopping around. The payload was a whopping 1657 lbs. I think I'd have to step up to a SRW 3500 or cut some stuff out of the 2500 to make it worth it.
Was that with the Hemi or the Cummins? The payload is higher with the Hemi.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's true, maybe we should let it get back on track. 🍻

Was that with the Hemi or the Cummins? The payload is higher with the Hemi.
Cummins, of course. If I go up to an HD, I'm going with a diesel. Like I said, I'd probably go straight to a SRW 3500.

But I also don't want to drive that around the country.

Last edited:

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
FWIW.... RAM has a payload/towing chart located at: https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/d...am_LD_DT_Trailer-Tow-Weight-Chart_MY21_R1.pdf

Problem is, the chart is for a stripped RAM. For example, the line for my truck says a payload of 1,838 lbs, but the truck sticker says 1,081. Those options add up.

The chart is good to give you a guideline of how much engine, transmission and axle ratio impact your truck's payload/towing ability.

If you have a specific VIN, you can use https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html#/landing/bytowing to get an exact number. Not sure whether this is available before the RAM is built.
That's a very helpful links, thanks.

And yea, that's the pitfall that I'm trying to address. The options eat up payload SCARY fast. Nearly 800lbs eaten away with the click of a few checkboxes. I certainly don't want a stripped-down tradesman, but I would like to be comfortable and not just be driving around a truck for show.

I have not towed yet with the eco diesel so those are the Hemi numbers. Supposedly the eco diesel will give a few extra MPG when towing also increasing range even more but I'll believe it when I see it myself.

Maintenance is a bit higher on the eco diesel and it uses DEF fluid which adds a small cost. I will start changing the oil myself as reading on here it sounds like it's not a big deal to do and is easier than the gas engine to change. That will offset some maintenance costs.

My personal thoughts on the towing limitations are the wind sail created by a camper. My limited with the 3.92 gears was rated to tow over 10,000 lbs and I have no doubt it could pull that all day without issue if there was minimal wind resistance, like a car on a flatbed. Taking off with the camper was no issue at all and it pulled it up to 40 like it wasn't back there. Add in that camper sail though and it all goes downhill. I had times with a strong headwind that I was struggling to maintain 50 MPH. The engine revved way up switching between 3rd and 4th gear barely keeping up. That wind resistance is the killer. On the flip side, I had one day with a strong tailwind on flat land and I got 13 mpg that day and the truck cruised along smoothly in 7th and even long stretches in 8th gear. That was the only time I had that experience though.

Stability was no issue and the truck felt solid and safe towing. I had sway control and load leveling hitch and it was sure and steady. Going down mountain passes out west was no issue and tow/haul mode did a great job of maintaining speed with minimal friction brake usage. And even going up them was comfortable. You weren't going 70 but not much issue going 40mph even on steep inclines. The truck can tow...it just can't beat mother nature...wind resistance. That's when the struggle begins.
Good info.

I've rented a Hemi 1500 a few years ago, had it about a month and I did tow some things around. Something I noticed is how the Hemi's power likes to kick in with the 8-speed. Struggling isn't the right word, because that engine really doesn't struggle....but the ECU really liked to pre-emptively drop gears with any movement of the throttle. When the transmission would drop down to 4th and the engine would spin up to 4500RPM, just to speed up a couple mph on the highway, it really made it feel like the truck was doing way more work than necessary. I'm hoping the EcoDiesel has more of a 'no-drama' demeanor at speed, pulling or not.

Take what what way? You mean calling it ridiculous to have 1000 lb payload? :ROFLMAO: Look, I know it's mostly in good fun. Which is why I said I'm happy to be the punching bag. And I still haven't seen anyone with a lower payload. So far I'm the ultimate payload loser. :cool:

Like I've said a couple time now in this thread, If I needed more payload but still wanted the options and features I have now, I'd have moved up to a HD Limited. I could have gotten a similarly equipped 2500 Limited 6.4 Hemi with the short bed for just a few thousand more than I paid for my 1500. The only sacrifice I would have had besides a better ride would have been that I couldn't have the MFT. Well, probably also fuel economy LOL. Have you considered going with an HD instead of a LD truck?
Take it as if I'm personally attacking you or your truck (I'm not).

It's an open statement as I begin to determine what to buy, and I seem to be in a pickle, here, because I want good options for a truck that I'm going to be driving 1.5hrs a day and in 8-12-hr marathons throughout the year with 4 people on a regular basis. I mean, I'm shopping for a $60-70k piece of equipment that I really want to enjoy and not regret something I did or didn't select on the build...but I also don't want to sacrifice capability. The RAM has a LOT of really nice options available, some I really think would be useful to me, but not if they take away from something else I need, particularly payload.

-Advanced Safety Group. Top of my list. I recently rear-ended an old lady making a right because she changed her mind in the middle of the intersection. I think today's technology could've prevented that headache.
-Level 2 Equipment package. Towing Package, and Bed Utility group, and 33-gal tank. For my needs, too useful to pass up.
-RamBox and Air suspension. I really could use it, but I'm now sacrificing one need to gain another.
-Sunroof, multi-use tailgate, 12" screen. Nice, but certainly not worth the payload sacrifice.

I think a 2500HD is overkill for me when my Frontier has served my utilitarian needs fantastic (aside from comfort). When my Frontier can handle over 7,000lbs towing and 1,500lb in the bed without a grunt (yes, slightly over the DOT specs, I know), I honestly feel that a 1500 (with a more comfortable cab) should fit the bill.

Also, the the fuel filter needs to be replaced every other oil change
Noted. I've always done my own maintenance, but I've never worked on a Diesel outside of my company's ~300kVA backup generator.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cummins, of course. If I go up to an HD, I'm going with a diesel. Like I said, I'd probably go straight to a SRW 3500.

But I also don't want to drive that around the country.
I asked because you lose payload with the Cummins over the Hemi.

It's an open statement as I begin to determine what to buy, and I seem to be in a pickle, here, because I want good options for a truck that I'm going to be driving 1.5hrs a day and in 8-12-hr marathons throughout the year with 4 people on a regular basis. I mean, I'm shopping for a $60-70k piece of equipment that I really want to enjoy and not regret something I did or didn't select on the build...but I also don't want to sacrifice capability. The RAM has a LOT of really nice options available, some I really think would be useful to me, but not if they take away from something else I need, particularly payload.

-Advanced Safety Group. Top of my list. I recently rear-ended an old lady making a right because she changed her mind in the middle of the intersection. I think today's technology could've prevented that headache.
-Level 2 Equipment package. Towing Package, and Bed Utility group, and 33-gal tank. For my needs, too useful to pass up.
-RamBox and Air suspension. I really could use it, but I'm now sacrificing one need to gain another.
-Sunroof, multi-use tailgate, 12" screen. Nice, but certainly not worth the payload sacrifice.
Sounds like you realize it's going to be about sacrifice then if you're set on a 1500. I don't remember if you said or not, but are you planning to order this truck? It could be very difficult to find a truck on a dealer lot equipped the way you listed above.

It would certainly be difficult for me to have to decide which options to have and which to give up. My list would also have to include the rambox, but I could live without the air suspension if I needed more payload. I think your lunch would weigh more than the difference between the 8 and the 12 inch screens.

I think a 2500HD is overkill for me when my Frontier has served my utilitarian needs fantastic (aside from comfort). When my Frontier can handle over 7,000lbs towing and 1,500lb in the bed without a grunt (yes, slightly over the DOT specs, I know), I honestly feel that a 1500 (with a more comfortable cab) should fit the bill.
It's not overkill if you want the options and the payload. Although, as our friend pointed out above, a Cummins equipped 2500 doesn't have that much more payload over a much less equipped 1500. I don't know what your price range is, but you mentioned 60 to 70 thousand above. It's likely that a nicely equipped 2500 w/Cummins is out of that price range.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I asked because you lose payload with the Cummins over the Hemi.

Yep, but for me that's an option that would be worth the payload lost.

If I ever do upgrade my trailer and need a new truck, I'll approach it the same way I did when I ordered my Laramie. Start with a loaded up Limited 3500 and see where that puts me.

I came from a Denali Ultimate and originally wanted a 2022 Tundra 1794. When I first started looking at the Rams, I wanted a loaded out Limited, but couldn't make the payload work. I still wanted some luxury, though, so I left a few things on my truck that hits the payload fairly significantly. Like the panoramic sunroof and powered running boards.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Sounds like you realize it's going to be about sacrifice then if you're set on a 1500. I don't remember if you said or not, but are you planning to order this truck? It could be very difficult to find a truck on a dealer lot equipped the way you listed above.

It would certainly be difficult for me to have to decide which options to have and which to give up. My list would also have to include the rambox, but I could live without the air suspension if I needed more payload. I think your lunch would weigh more than the difference between the 8 and the 12 inch screens.

It's not overkill if you want the options and the payload. Although, as our friend pointed out above, a Cummins equipped 2500 doesn't have that much more payload over a much less equipped 1500. I don't know what your price range is, but you mentioned 60 to 70 thousand above. It's likely that a nicely equipped 2500 w/Cummins is out of that price range.
Yes, it will probably be a custom order, unless I happen to come across a dealership that happens to have the truck I want. Most members said custom ordering though Mark Dodge was a good experience.

Honestly, I just don't need a 12" screen in my face, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 12" screen required other hidden gizmos that bring the payload down another 50lbs.

In my experience:
Mid-size CC trucks tend to carry 1250-1600lbs payload, even when optioned-out.
1500 CC trucks tend to hover around 1300-2000lbs.
2500 CC trucks tend to go well into the 2000-3000lb payloads.

1400-1500lbs is about right for my needs, but once you start dipping below 1200lbs, I start to get sketched out. 1000-1200lb payload means I'm going to be hanging out near my max payload ANY time I have 4-5 passengers and cargo, ANY time I make a Home Depot Run, ANY time I put ~10-15% of my tongue weight on the hitch.

Like I said, a 2500 is too much for me, and I really don't want to pay 2500 fuel prices, I need something that is just a small step above my Nissan Frontier. 1500s are a good place for me to be, but I'm really noticing that Ram is the only truck that sinks that low with some options. Any example of an F-150/Silverado/Sierra/Titan that has less than 1250lb payload, after options?

ben b

Reaction score

Some thoughts on a couple of options, from a guy who owns one....
  • RamBox - The 1500 has great storage under the rear seat and under the floor -- hidden yet very easy to access. And you can easily buy a lock for the under floor storage if that is important to you. While I love my RamBoxes, you can still keep things tidy without them.
  • MFT - This is a very clever invention. But it's one of those things that if I never had it, I wouldn't miss it. A conventional tailgate with a bed step is still a great combination for easy access, even for an older dude like me.
I would have loved my RAM 1500 even without these. And payload would have increased significantly.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2015 Frontier owner. I joined and lurked for some time and mostly because the 5th gen 1500 has been at the top of my list for some time and I can't shake it off with any other truck or SUV being offered by any other company. I particularly want to buy the EcoDiesel, possibly in the Rebel or Laramie trim. I'm not sure if the Diesel will save me any money, especially considering the higher price of Diesel and the DEF, but I particularly want to get more range pulling capacity with less sacrifice.

At this point, my wife and I have agreed, we're just waiting for a good opportunity to come. My 4 main needs:
1. Bigger interior space for road trips. The 4 of us are stupidly cramped in the Frontier.
2. LOTS of range/decent fuel economy, avoiding fuel stops.
3. 8,000lbs of towing is about what I want.
4. Decent safety features, like auto-braking and adaptive cruise.

I've considered some 3-row SUVs, including diesels, but the Ram EcoDiesel seems to have the best range and fuel economy. Honestly, I'm not a Jeep person, but I would have really considered the Grand Cherokee L if it had a Diesel option and more towing capacity.
I LOVE my Ecodiesel and wouldn’t recommend purchasing anything else in the 1500 lineup. I owned two 2nd Gens and now this 3rd Gen…night and day difference, and IMHO nothing to be afraid of as it appears they (FCA/Stellantis) learned from their mistakes.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pretty well optioned Laramie and my max payload is 1481lbs. You're overthinking this, IMO.
You don't have a few of the heavier options he said he wants. Could easily get down around 1200 lbs on a Laramie if you start checking boxes.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any example of an F-150/Silverado/Sierra/Titan that has less than 1250lb payload, after options?
I test drove a 21 Tundra 1794 that had 1192 on the sticker, but they've mostly corrected that with the 22s.

To be fair to the Ram, a lot of that payload goes to the nicest interior you can get in a truck. It's why I'm in a Ram instead of another Denali or a Tundra.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1500s are a good place for me to be, but I'm really noticing that Ram is the only truck that sinks that low with some options. Any example of an F-150/Silverado/Sierra/Titan that has less than 1250lb payload, after options?

A loaded F-150 can be <1,300 lbs

BA1D0ABE-27AD-441E-8126-25B546FC94E9.jpeg

Silverado/Sierra only come with a 24-gallon so no range towing

Ram Limited w/ 33 gallon tank is ~1,475 lbs payload

Adding eTorque, Ram Box, Off-Road Group, Pano or Multi-Function tailgate is what brings payload down from there

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You don't have a few of the heavier options he said he wants. Could easily get down around 1200 lbs on a Laramie if you start checking boxes.
He didn't say he wanted those options, he said he's debating them. If he wants to stay well above 1200lbs payload, it's an easy decision.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He didn't say he wanted those options, he said he's debating them. If he wants to stay well above 1200lbs payload, it's an easy decision.
He's said that he wants several of those options.
Definitely going to get the 3.0, 33gal
My options would be:
Advanced Safety Group
Bed Utility Group
Laramie Level 2 Group
Night Edition
Towing Group
Tow Mirrors
Probably the Ram Boxes.
The Ramboxes will also eat into my payload, unfortunately, but I'm thinking that's the only option that might be worth the cost. I want to have a dry place to store/lock stuff, plus it has a 115V outlet.
I guess I would still choose the Ramboxes with the short bed.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A loaded F-150 can be <1,300 lbs

View attachment 121605

Silverado/Sierra only come with a 24-gallon so no range towing

Ram Limited w/ 33 gallon tank is ~1,475 lbs payload

Adding eTorque, Ram Box, Off-Road Group, Pano or Multi-Function tailgate is what brings payload down from there
What's the payload hit on the diesel?

Users who are viewing this thread