5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you buy?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure yet:
Granite Crystal Metallic or Billet Silver Metallic. -I'll have to see both in person.
5'7 RamBox or no RamBox.
Color definitely something to judge for yourself. To me, granite crystal looks amazing when it's clean and sitting in the sun. Not so much for me when it's dirty though. And like other dark colors, dirt and dust stand out more. Silver looks great when in the same conditions, but it stays looking clean longer because silver is great at hiding dirt and dust. Just my unsolicited opinion on your color choices. Good luck with the purchase, and I hope your wait isn't too long if you do place an order.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think my wife is going to be offered a job, today, so We'll probably sit down and solidify our vehicle decisions. At the moment, we'll probably sell our CX-5, keep the Frontier as her car, but she'll mostly be working from home. It might sound silly to sell the CX-5 and keep 2 trucks, but we've found the Frontier is still a better family vehicle, plus it's super cheap to service/maintain.

I will probably order a custom build from Mark Dodge, as suggested.

Solidified:
Laramie Trim 4x2. -After configuring the Laramie, I no longer like the Rebel options.
3.0L EcoDiesel, 3.21 Final, 33-gal tank for maximum range and fuel economy.
Advanced Safety, Bed Utility, Level 2 Equip, Night Edition.
Tow Group (may as well), Power Fold Tow Mirrors.
5 passenger 8.4" Screen Nav. -I'm not a fan of giant touchscreens.

Not sure yet:
Granite Crystal Metallic or Billet Silver Metallic. -I'll have to see both in person.
5'7 RamBox or no RamBox.

The RamBoxes are certainly cool and a special feature of Ram. I like the additional power socket and having lockable storage, but I don't like having fewer bed cover options. I would love a 6'4 bed, but that might not be available with the EcoDiesel. I'll have to ask Mark Dodge.
We have a CX-5 as well, and it's been a good vehicle for us. I tried to get my wife to drive the Denali instead. Didn't work out for me, though.

Make sure you get to see a Granite Crystal Metallic with the Night Edition if you can. They look amazing. Second best color (behind Patriot Blue, obviously ;) ) in my opinion.

Definitely shoot Aaron and/or Renae an email. I dealt only with Aaron and Charles through the entire process, but he answered all my questions and had no issues making a few changes to the draft POC that came up before he submitted the order.

drydocked

Reaction score
I have the 6'4" bed with the EcoDiesel so that's definitely available. One thing I wish I would have ordered is the multi-function tailgate, with our travel trailer hooked up I couldn't lower the tailgate. An extended length shank solved the problem but I think the MFT would have been really nice to have.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a CX-5 as well, and it's been a good vehicle for us. I tried to get my wife to drive the Denali instead. Didn't work out for me, though.

Make sure you get to see a Granite Crystal Metallic with the Night Edition if you can. They look amazing. Second best color (behind Patriot Blue, obviously ;) ) in my opinion.

Definitely shoot Aaron and/or Renae an email. I dealt only with Aaron and Charles through the entire process, but he answered all my questions and had no issues making a few changes to the draft POC that came up before he submitted the order.
Patriot Blue was my first choice, but I couldn't find one locally. My only regerts is not having the MFT.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Color definitely something to judge for yourself. To me, granite crystal looks amazing when it's clean and sitting in the sun. Not so much for me when it's dirty though. And like other dark colors, dirt and dust stand out more. Silver looks great when in the same conditions, but it stays looking clean longer because silver is great at hiding dirt and dust. Just my unsolicited opinion on your color choices. Good luck with the purchase, and I hope your wait isn't too long if you do place an order.
I owned a silver truck for the last 11 years and it was great at hiding the dirt. Now I have a Granite Crystal truck and it's not much different. The only difference is if I drive through some light colored mud and it splatters up on the side of the truck... that's definitely more noticeable. Otherwise, driving on snow or rain, the dirt isn't that noticable. My wife has a black car and that thing looks dirty if I dry it with a rag that has lint on it. 🤣

ben b

Reaction score
The RamBoxes are certainly cool and a special feature of Ram. I like the additional power socket and having lockable storage, but I don't like having fewer bed cover options. I would love a 6'4 bed, but that might not be available with the EcoDiesel. I'll have to ask Mark Dodge.

I have the RamBoxes and love them. That said, I was disappointed with the AC Power socket. It's only 400W. My little AC hand held vacuum cleaner can't use it -- it draws 800W. Typical electric drills are around 900W. Circular saws are even more. 400W would work for an electric air pump, but many of them can run off of the 12V outlet. So, while the RamBox AC power outlet seemed like a great feature & I am happy to have it, it's actually much less handy than I anticipated.

Louhound88

Reaction score

+1 for Granite Crystal Night Edition lol.

20220106_164552.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the RamBoxes and love them. That said, I was disappointed with the AC Power socket. It's only 400W. My little AC hand held vacuum cleaner can't use it -- it draws 800W. Typical electric drills are around 900W. Circular saws are even more. 400W would work for an electric air pump, but many of them can run off of the 12V outlet. So, while the RamBox AC power outlet seemed like a great feature & I am happy to have it, it's actually much less handy than I anticipated.
I was disappointed with mine when I tried plugging an electric kettle in when we were camping, and it popped the circuit breaker. I'm currently shopping for a higher rated power inverter I can mount in the engine bay, and plan on running new wires back to the rambox outlet. I'll likely keep the interior outlets connected to the stock inverter.

ben b

Reaction score
I was disappointed with mine when I tried plugging an electric kettle in when we were camping, and it popped the circuit breaker. I'm currently shopping for a higher rated power inverter I can mount in the engine bay, and plan on running new wires back to the rambox outlet. I'll likely keep the interior outlets connected to the stock inverter.
You are wise to run new wires. There is no guarantee that the RAM wires and connectors can handle the additional current of a heftier inverter. FWIW -- if you run the wire in a confined area or bundled with other wires, you need to derate its ampacity. If you aren't sure, there are plenty of resources available on line to help select a good wire size for your max fault current.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the one area where I'm a little jealous of the Ford. We met a few couples who had the 7200W option, too.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are wise to run new wires. There is no guarantee that the RAM wires and connectors can handle the additional current of a heftier inverter. FWIW -- if you run the wire in a confined area or bundled with other wires, you need to derate its ampacity. If you aren't sure, there are plenty of resources available on line to help select a good wire size for your max fault current.
Thanks for the suggestion. I work directly with power engineers in the power protection industry. I'll make sure and run it by one of them.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score

I like our CX-5 GT, but it ended up not being a good fit. We've had it for about 4 years, now. It's good for my wife's commute, but she's now going to have a remote job and prefers the Frontier for short trips.

We bought the CX-5 when my wife was pregnant (she upgraded from an Elantra). When we first put the baby seat in the back, we were both like, "Uh Oh." My wife and I both sit with our seats about 80-90% the way back, so it was difficult to finagle all 4 of us into the CX-5 without someone pressing their knees against some part of the car.

We intended for the CX-5 to be our long-range vehicle, but even my Frontier offered more legroom and trunk space. In the time we had our CX-5, I probably put 20-30,000mi (just in family road trips) on the Frontier. I also couldn't really get the CX-5 to get better than 29mpg on most highway trips, but that's around 80mph.

I have the 6'4" bed with the EcoDiesel so that's definitely available. One thing I wish I would have ordered is the multi-function tailgate, with our travel trailer hooked up I couldn't lower the tailgate. An extended length shank solved the problem but I think the MFT would have been really nice to have.
I couldn't find it in the build. As Ivory mentioned, it may be because I'm looking at a 4x2. I'll have to call and see if the build is possible, the website can be finicky.

Patriot Blue was my first choice, but I couldn't find one locally. My only regerts is not having the MFT.
It is a nice color, but it seems like it's only available in the Chrome or Sport editions. The Night edition only allows flame red, plus all the grayscales.

Honestly, I wish Ram had some more colors available. I like some of the colors Toyota has come up with for the new Tundra:
Smoked Mesquite, Lunar Rock, Army Green, and Blueprint are interesting colors.

Yea, 400W isn't much, these days. They're now coming out with phones that charge at 150W. For me, I like having a charging cubby for things like flashlights, power tool batteries, and usb battery banks.

+1 for Granite Crystal Night Edition lol.
View attachment 122145
That does look good. I've been leaning towards granite, since silver is just too plain.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a serious case of buyers remorse about a month after I ordered my truck, wondering if I made a mistake. I didn't get a chance to look at Granite in person before I placed my order. So glad I chose this color. It seems to change color depending on the lighting.

20211005_155634.jpg 20211005_155238.jpg

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Alright, I contacted Mark Dodge and I have a price quote, which is well under MSRP. Very nice reps. SnowBla, I might PM you in a bit about your truck and experience.

Users who are viewing this thread