5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will you use your RAM for?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Garage queen (home office) and a ton of trips to the airport where I will extensively use the entry/exit height of the air suspension. About half a dozen TX roadtrips for work hauling a lot of demo product (hello Bakflip MX4). Probably two dozen big trips to Home Depot or the wife's nursery/rock yard/mulch yard per year.
It will become our new family vehicle taking the place of the diesel Excursion.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I need the long hauler concept truck.:p I really need the price of used trucks to come down.:ROFLMAO: Then I can trade my 13 in on a 2016 3500 and still get a new Rebel, but when they are still as expensive as new I can't swing it. Railroad needs to go back to being customer focused instead of investor focused and then I can just work enough OT to have my cake and eat it too...but that probably isn't going to happen. :cry:

Now that I went off topic.

Hope someone chimes in with a camping setup. Travel trailer, supplies and a family.

Hope to see a few of these soon.:love:
On a sort of tangential topic - Devil do you think I could haul a 32' travel trailer with the 1500 limited 4x4? I mainly want to buy the truck so I can tow a travel trailer in a few years for family road trips. Futurewise, I am considering either a 32' travel trailer (something like the Grand Design 2800MBH Imagine) or something a little shorter like the Jayco 24MBH (has murphy bed)..

:D

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I am a year out from getting one so I can’t get enough of reading about them! Hell, I would have one right now if we (the dealer and I) could have worked out some better numbers for my Tesla so I’ll wait to get rid of the wife’s car and take the upgrade. It will be daily driven and will be my “manly station wagon”. I had a new 2006 ram many moons ago of course and loved what dodge had to offer. I’m not a brand loyalists but I think the Ram has more of what I want.
Going from Tesla to Ram Truck! I love it!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On a sort of tangential topic - Devil do you think I could haul a 32' travel trailer with the 1500 limited 4x4? I mainly want to buy the truck so I can tow a travel trailer in a few years for family road trips. Futurewise, I am considering either a 32' travel trailer (something like the Grand Design 2800MBH Imagine) or something a little shorter like the Jayco 24MBH (has murphy bed)..

:D
I can neither confirm nor deny this. This year camping I have seen some very interesting camping setups.

Alot of camper companies are making 1500 friendly campers.

The salesman at both the Ram Garage and the Camper dealership will say yes I am sure...but you got to really do your research.

We are trying our best to get a good data sample of actual payloads.

Can't wait to see some people chime in on the camping and Ram truck stories.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I can neither confirm nor deny this. This year camping I have seen some very interesting camping setups.

Alot of camper companies are making 1500 friendly campers.

The salesman at both the Ram Garage and the Camper dealership will say yes I am sure...but you got to really do your research.

We are trying our best to get a good data sample of actual payloads.

Can't wait to see some people chime in on the camping and Ram truck stories.

Yeah both trucks have a tongue weight of 600'ish. But I think that is based off the UVW not GVWR of the trailer. If the limited is around 1400lb payload. That means with me, wife, 2 kids, we would have about 200lbs left . But I think the tongue weight based off GVWR should be 800. Which means I am all maxed out before adding anything in the bed of the truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah both trucks have a tongue weight of 600'ish. But I think that is based off the UVW not GVWR of the trailer. If the limited is around 1400lb payload. That means with me, wife, 2 kids, we would have about 200lbs left . But I think the tongue weight based off GVWR should be 800. Which means I am all maxed out before adding anything in the bed of the truck.
Did you mean both campers have a tongue weight?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I did a thread on this and as we get real world ratings...not looking so good...but the people I see towing with all makes and years are doing it.

Sure don't seem safe to me. But what do I know. I haul way under the rating of my 2500, but would still be over the 1500, and when the storm rolls in, or the semi passes too close, I sure don't wanna find out the 1500 is too small.

alow

Reaction score
Family trips and light off roading for hunting. Otherwise lots of trips to the hardware store I imagine.

Believemeustink

Reaction score
I will use mine for daily driving and the transporting of my wife and two kids on the weekends. The occasional home project/clean-up, seasonal home cleaning and various andscaping duties. Also, more than likely, moving items from A to B for family members and my own household.

immersivenc

Reaction score
First trip out to the farm today. Tried out the 4X4 and axle lock, as well as the Off Road setting on the air suspension. The ride on those bumpy dirt/gravel farm roads was sublime. Now she’s ready for her first wash!

Attachments

• 4E2AA907-18E5-48D7-8FB6-84B968E66464.jpeg
    4E2AA907-18E5-48D7-8FB6-84B968E66464.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First trip out to the farm today. Tried out the 4X4 and axle lock, as well as the Off Road setting on the air suspension. The ride on those bumpy dirt/gravel farm roads was sublime. Now she’s ready for her first wash!
Truck looks good in the wild. Any extra thoughts on 4wd and axle lock

Ranchram

Reaction score
Towing the three horse trailer and bad weather vehicle. Really looking forward the the half ton versus my current three quarter ton for ride quality and full time all wheel drive versus four wheel drive.

immersivenc

Reaction score
nice, how is it in offroad 2 setting? I have a Jeep GC with ecodiesel and OR2 is always very harsh.

Not sure if they changed the air suspension or if it has something to do with the 4x4 off road group, but mine doesn't have OR2. It has entry/exit, Aero, Normal, and Off-Road I didn't find the offroad setting to be harsh at all, took the bumps very well. Was not traveling very fast, probably 10MPH or less.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if they changed the air suspension or if it has something to do with the 4x4 off road group, but mine doesn't have OR2. It has entry/exit, Aero, Normal, and Off-Road I didn't find the offroad setting to be harsh at all, took the bumps very well. Was not traveling very fast, probably 10MPH or less.

hmmmm...you positive?? I'm going to go double check right now but im pretty sure I have 5 settings, including OR2

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hmmmm...you positive?? I'm going to go double check right now but im pretty sure I have 5 settings, including OR2
Will be interesting to know what you find. From what we know the ORP sits one inch higher than all trucks except it is tied with regular air suspension on OR2...from what we have read the ORP loses OR2 which makes no sense but seems to be the one inch lift disappears on every other aplication. Odd, but seems to be true.

Chief holley

Reaction score
Going from Tesla to Ram Truck! I love it!

Hey the heart wants, what the heart wants! Tesla can be an “interesting” car at times, I miss the rumble and exhaust noises. I test drove a limited and although it has an amazingly quiet cabin, the exhaust note they pump out through the speakers is just enough for me. Sure, everyone will say get a CD of exhaust sounds (it doesn’t have a CD player for one), but I am gearhead at heart and the only thing you can do to a Tesla is add some stickers. No matter what they tell you, a K & N intake sticker does not add 10 hp!

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will be interesting to know what you find. From what we know the ORP sits one inch higher than all trucks except it is tied with regular air suspension on OR2...from what we have read the ORP loses OR2 which makes no sense but seems to be the one inch lift disappears on every other aplication. Odd, but seems to be true.

ahhhh, gotchya. Yep, that seems to be the case

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_07161.jpg
    IMG_07161.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_07162.jpg
    IMG_07162.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread