5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will you use your RAM for?

immersivenc

Reaction score
Thought it would be cool to be able to see what everybody is using/going to use their trucks for. Garage queen or workhorse? Be sure to post any in action photos you have!

I’m going to using mine to haul a couple of boats, a travel trailer, occasional use for my business and that never ending list of home and landscaping chores. Also some off-roading out at our farm. Curious about others...

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Garage queen :cry:. I am a clinical coordinator at a hospital here so..."real" truck people hate me lol. My major reason for getting this truck was I just always wanted a full size truck. I got a little into "prepping for every scenario" when I had my wrangler but quickly ran out of room. With the bed also being able to handle the EDC totes, strollers, etc. It can keep the cab clutter free. I also HATED asking other people to use their truck for the occasional mattress pick up or new grill, patio furniture, couches, etc. Great thread, will be looking forward to reading about how unmanly I am haha

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Garage queen :cry:. I am a clinical coordinator at a hospital here so..."real" truck people hate me lol. My major reason for getting this truck was I just always wanted a full size truck. I got a little into "prepping for every scenario" when I had my wrangler but quickly ran out of room. With the bed also being able to handle the EDC totes, strollers, etc. It can keep the cab clutter free. I also HATED asking other people to use their truck for the occasional mattress pick up or new grill, patio furniture, couches, etc. Great thread, will be looking forward to reading about how unmanly I am haha
Trucks are the ultimate do all vehicle. Today they are as well appointed as a luxury car.

Nothing wrong with not using your truck...these higher trims I would be nervous to anyways.

I use my truck for all kinds of crazy stuff...why I am holding out for 2500...although I just said there is nothing wrong with it...the 1500 has become more of a modern day station wagon and I need the capacity of a truck.

This will be an interesting thread for sure.:cool:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just got the $500 bonus cash in the mail over the weekend with the new Ram brochure. I was amused by their marketing focus. On the last page they had this printed:
"DIY weekends, Family vacations. An evening out with friends. The all-new Ram 1500 is built to serve any occasion. With capability. With style. With comfort. With innovation. See for yourself how it's expanding the definition of what a truck can be."

The most non-traditional truck marketing language I've ever seen. Clearly going after you @alwi228!

RAM 4times

Reaction score
i couldn't agree with you more. i'm the same way. but with having a truck it's so easy to throw some plywood, bags of mulch etc. etc. things you would hate having to put into your suv. you might only use it as a " truck " a few times a year , but it's always there for you when you need to.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Garage queen :cry:.
In my book, that's nothing to be ashamed of. My truck will be garaged and (generally) pampered, putting on 5-8K miles per year (I work from home). In a typical week, my truck hauls me to the gym, my wife and I to a restaurant or two, my wife and in-laws to church. and maybe a few runs to Home Depot.

Trucks are the ultimate do all vehicle. Today they are as well appointed as a luxury car...I use my truck for all kinds of crazy stuff...why I am holding out for 2500...although I just said there is nothing wrong with it...the 1500 has become more of a modern day station wagon and I need the capacity of a truck.
I agree with most of your comments, @devildodge. Once we had a crew cab truck, especially, we found it incredibly difficult to go back to anything else. The flexibility is unmatched.

I might challenge you (just a bit) on the need for an HD, as I know you're already struggling with that decision. Today's 1/2-ton trucks are getting closer to yesterday's 3/4-ton trucks in capabilities. And most of us really don't even need the full capabilities of the 1/2-ton. I've always driven a 3/4-ton, but that's because I grew up driving 'real trucks' on a farm and though the 1/2-ton trucks felt 'soft'. But I'm a bit older now and am starting to appreciate the amenities of the interior as much as the capabilities of the exterior...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In my book, that's nothing to be ashamed of. My truck will be garaged and (generally) pampered, putting on 5-8K miles per year (I work from home). In a typical week, my truck hauls me to the gym, my wife and I to a restaurant or two, my wife and in-laws to church. and maybe a few runs to Home Depot.

I agree with most of your comments, @devildodge. Once we had a crew cab truck, especially, we found it incredibly difficult to go back to anything else. The flexibility is unmatched.

I might challenge you (just a bit) on the need for an HD, as I know you're already struggling with that decision. Today's 1/2-ton trucks are getting closer to yesterday's 3/4-ton trucks in capabilities. And most of us really don't even need the full capabilities of the 1/2-ton. I've always driven a 3/4-ton, but that's because I grew up driving 'real trucks' on a farm and though the 1/2-ton trucks felt 'soft'. But I'm a bit older now and am starting to appreciate the amenities of the interior as much as the capabilities of the exterior...
Well, if you look in my thread about will the 1500 be enough...I found it will be...but at a compromise. Heck I overloaded my 13 past the GVWR, did it care...nope, but the scales guy would and any incident would not have fared well for me.

I see 1400 as an average payload. Ok so 1400 doesn't even give me a ton in the bed. It also only leaves me with 575 pounds after the family gets in and 2 of them are still growing. Right now my camper has a tongue weightof 625, so can't haul the camper with the family and can't take the firewood. And if we get another St. Bernard...only have about 375 left.

I am convinced I need a 2500, I just really want a Rebel, but even a powerwagon is gonna be low for me.

That said I see plenty of people do it, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I really need a 3500 Dually.:eek:

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Mainly daily driving. Occasionaly usage of the bed for home stuff. Probably put 15-20k a year on it.
Especially if I get another dirtbike/Quad it'll be handy not having to own a trailer.

Work in engineering, so some job site visits but no heavy equipment towing.

Wanted a V8, comfy interior/ride, and a full frame truck when I have my mini me with me.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if you look in my thread about will the 1500 be enough...I found it will be...but at a compromise. Heck I overloaded my 13 past the GVWR, did it care...nope, but the scales guy would and any incident would not have fared well for me.

I see 1400 as an average payload. Ok so 1400 doesn't even give me a ton in the bed. It also only leaves me with 575 pounds after the family gets in and 2 of them are still growing. Right now my camper has a tongue weightof 625, so can't haul the camper with the family and can't take the firewood. And if we get another St. Bernard...only have about 375 left.

I am convinced I need a 2500, I just really want a Rebel, but even a powerwagon is gonna be low for me.

That said I see plenty of people do it, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I really need a 3500 Dually.:eek:
Nah...get a chassis cab ;)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I need the long hauler concept truck.:p I really need the price of used trucks to come down.:ROFLMAO: Then I can trade my 13 in on a 2016 3500 and still get a new Rebel, but when they are still as expensive as new I can't swing it. Railroad needs to go back to being customer focused instead of investor focused and then I can just work enough OT to have my cake and eat it too...but that probably isn't going to happen. :cry:

Now that I went off topic.

Hope someone chimes in with a camping setup. Travel trailer, supplies and a family.

Hope to see a few of these soon.:love:

immersivenc

Reaction score
The only ‘19 1500 I’ve seen in the wild was at a boat ramp on the NC coast with a trailer, I know people are already working them! Also seen a couple members here towing/hauling with their trucks.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Mine's going to be a (partial) garage...er, outdoor parking...queen, since I work from home 3 days a week and don't have a garage. I'll probably put ~10k miles per year on it.

I'll use it mostly for commuting, roughly triweekly trips to Home Depot for various projects, carrying the family and the approximately 18,936,285 items that are required when you have a baby on road trips, carrying bikes around when the wife and I do triathlons, carrying camping gear when we go camping every now and then, and potentially towing a small popup camper at some point in the future if the wife lets me get one (she loves the idea of camping but hates all the inconveniences that come with tent camping).

I've currently got a full size sedan (Hyundai Azera) and it's absurd just how much space baby stuff takes up for a road trip. We did a *2 day* trip a couple weeks ago and filled up the entire cavernous trunk, part of the backseat, and had a bag in the front passenger seat. We're hoping for another kid soon, and I shudder to think what road trips would be like then with my current car, let alone my wife's Corolla. Honestly, all of my other uses for the truck, besides towing, can more or less be met with my Azera, so the truck will pretty much be primarily used for the extra storage space. I look forward to being able to throw all the junk in the Ramboxes and bed under a retractable tonneau cover and keep the cab nice and uncluttered.

Definitely not gonna be a "real" work truck, but I don't care at all about that.

Last edited:

Chief holley

Reaction score
I am a year out from getting one so I can’t get enough of reading about them! Hell, I would have one right now if we (the dealer and I) could have worked out some better numbers for my Tesla so I’ll wait to get rid of the wife’s car and take the upgrade. It will be daily driven and will be my “manly station wagon”. I had a new 2006 ram many moons ago of course and loved what dodge had to offer. I’m not a brand loyalists but I think the Ram has more of what I want.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Some commuting, a few road trips here and there, but largely for pleasure, pleasure by driving thru the thicket of Ford F150's that are in my neigborhood.
8 F150's, 1 Tacoma, 1 Z71 (mine) and 0 Rams, soon to be changed

Ickabod

Reaction score
Most of my truck use will be my daily commute, but will also use the truck for home projects and hauling the 25' deckboat on the weekends. If the family needs to go anywhere, we use the truck as it will seat all 6 of us.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Using to haul 2 kids/1 dog and all their gea on road trips to visit family. 2 atv's, enclosed trailer (7x16) and blasting through cold & snow/icey MN winters.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram Limited will be my mobile office used in an engineering sales/consultant job. I drive 25k a year and my vehicle needs to haul gear, customers, and serve as my office. On weekends it will pull a 5000 lb cargo trailer full of pro audio gear for my music activities.

80% of guys in my position have trucks. I was the odd guy out with my Grand Cherokee Diesel. Cars don't cut it, ever. Since I can't buy the EcoDiesel before I'm required to get a new vehicle, looks like I'll be a truck guy this time around. The interior is hands down the best offered in the industry..

Users who are viewing this thread