5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will you use your RAM for?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
....yes, RAM sold me a 60 thousand dollar truck with a tablespoon worth of windshield washing fluid

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2019 Ram 1500 4×4 Off-Road Package now stands alone and includes a one-inch suspension lift, with or without the available air suspension.

My guess (and it could be wrong) is that the off road package sits one inch higher than a regular DT.

My guess (and I could be wrong) air suspension doesn't offer a "lift" it offers a park mode, a ride mode, and aerodynamic mode. And it levels the truck with load.

My guess (and I could be wrong) if the old air suspension did add a "lift" it doesn't anymore and is why it isn't standard on the Rebel anymore.

1f60e.png
entry/exit, Aero, Normal, and Off-Road I
Here is a past discusion and the list of settings.

I don't know what happened to the other quote I had, but you can see it in the other thread.

Entry/exit, ORP is one inch higher

Areo mode, ORP is one inch higher

Normal, ORP is one inch higher

OR1 is skipped on ORP

OR2 becomes OR1 on ORP and then all trucks are the same.

My thoughts, hasn't been verified...well almost now.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, so I have 5 lights that come up when I crank the truck, but if I get to OR and push up to go to OR2, it tells me ride height not permitted.

I don't know what happened to the other quote I had, but you can see it in the other thread.

OR1 is skipped on ORP

Ok so OR is OR 2 but OR2 is disabled...makes sense.

Still odd that one inch disappeared

immersivenc

Reaction score

OR1 is skipped on ORP

Yep, that appears to be the case. It is strange... wonder if it's a limitation of the air bags or maybe suspension geometry with shocks, etc.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe they limited the highest "OR2" to eleminate the harsh clunking from the airbags being topped out. I'd rather have the clunking with extra clearance.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if they changed the air suspension or if it has something to do with the 4x4 off road group, but mine doesn't have OR2. It has entry/exit, Aero, Normal, and Off-Road I didn't find the offroad setting to be harsh at all, took the bumps very well. Was not traveling very fast, probably 10MPH or less.
This aligns with other posts suggesting that non-Rebels with the Off Road group will have the same air suspension options as Rebels (i.e. only 1 OR mode).

RT70808

Reaction score
Daily driver, visit customers, park it outside, tow the boat, hunting trips, make the Home Depot trips. ~25k miles a year I fish pretty much any weekend the forecast cooperates 12 months out of the year. That’s why they call Louisiana sportsman’s paradise!

RT70808

Reaction score
This aligns with other posts suggesting that non-Rebels with the Off Road group will have the same air suspension options as Rebels (i.e. only 1 OR mode).
The OR2 setting in my Grand Cherokee was brutal, I’m not going to miss it.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so OR is OR 2 but OR2 is disabled...makes sense.

Still odd that one inch disappeared
I can't recall now who it was, but someone posted pictures a while back with a measuring tape on the running boards of a Limited with the OR Package in entry/exit and highest position.
Several of us came to the conclusion that since the lowest and highest positions were identical between ORP and not, that Ram changed the air suspension via programming to remove normal and make OR1 the new normal. You can still hit normal aero and entry/exit but you only have one OR mode as normal is now the non-ORP OR1.
If this is not the case I'd love to know as I was going to heavily bribe the service manager to see if I can get it changed back to the normal 5 position air suspension option (i.e. lose the ORP 1" lift for better mileage.). If possible, it also means non-ORP trucks with air suspension could get the ORP 1" lift via a programming change.

nerdrock

Reaction score
Driveway Queen. It hurts having a barn-style garage that's configured in such a way that your shiny truck doesn't fit inside. Otherwise: The Ram is a work commuting, motorcycle hauling, small trailer pulling, comfy trip taking, dog paw print attracting very soon to be baby protector.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I can't recall now who it was, but someone posted pictures a while back with a measuring tape on the running boards of a Limited with the OR Package in entry/exit and highest position.
Several of us came to the conclusion that since the lowest and highest positions were identical between ORP and not, that Ram changed the air suspension via programming to remove normal and make OR1 the new normal. You can still hit normal aero and entry/exit but you only have one OR mode as normal is now the non-ORP OR1.
If this is not the case I'd love to know as I was going to heavily bribe the service manager to see if I can get it changed back to the normal 5 position air suspension option (i.e. lose the ORP 1" lift for better mileage.). If possible, it also means non-ORP trucks with air suspension could get the ORP 1" lift via a programming change.

Does this make ORP less compelling to folks? I was considering it for the combination of the slightly more aggressive tires and 1" lift.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does this make ORP less compelling to folks? I was considering it for the combination of the slightly more aggressive tires and 1" lift.
Everyone's after something different. I do mostly highway miles so the lower ride pays off but when I do want OR capability, the non-ORP heights (OR1 & OR2) would work just fine and I don't foresee driving fast enough for them to cancel. With the ORP where normal is the old OR1, you are always driving at that height unless aero kicks in at faster speed.

It's easily possible that the dealer can't reprogram it so I will happily live with it. But if they can change it via programming, I'm quite interested. I will give the ORP ride a few weeks test drive before I cause them trouble though. Also, my wife says I'm overly picky and when there is an adjustment possible, I like to adjust it my way.

Users who are viewing this thread