5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What options are a must and what are a waste?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you EVERYONE! The comments are great and opinions. Being that I want two tone truck in gray/black (or whatever its called) the Rebel is it. The options I have spec'd:
- Sunroof
- 3.92 (only option)
- Electronic shift
- 33 Tank
- Air suspension
- safety group
- Bed utility
- Comfort and Conv
- Rebel 12
- Rebel B
- Side Step Bars
- Multi Tailgate
- Spray In Liner

On the fence about the Rambox yet. Need to look at them at a dealer and see if its worth it.
Congratulations on your decision. Hopefully it gets built and shipped to you soon, and we can all enjoy your pics 😁

DenCoRam

Reaction score
Looks like you're on the right path. Things that I would consider are those that are impossible, difficult, and/or expensive to add after the fact. I got a Rebel with the level 2 package. Only things I regret not getting are a 33 gallon tank and electronic transfer case so I have auto 4wd (had this on my last truck and was great for mixed snowy/dry conditions)

hoodac78

Reaction score
Getting ready to order my truck and going through the options, are there some options that are completely worth it or a complete waste? (examples below Im pondering)

- Ramboxes
- Trailer Tech Group (I can backup a trailer for 30 years, not sure I need a button to do this?)
- Bed liner (Factory or aftermarket?)
- Tonneau Cover (Factory aftermarket?)
- Air shocks? (seems like something destined to fail after warranty expires?)
- Running boards. Looks nice, but ?

Thanks!
For me, 3.92 gears, the larger fuel tank and air suspension were a must for towing the trailer.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Id say at most, Id tow around 5-6k boat or less and probably wouldnt be that far. Payload wise, I dont see more than 1500lbs .
I’m sure the truck will tow it with ease! That’s prob only like 800lbs of payload. Still leaves you enough weight for a couple passengers. But even if you’re over, who cares. As long as you’re not wayyy over loaded I doubt it’ll be an issue at all

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

Like a few have mentioned i decided to forego the things i fell i want better choices of later, i don't like the ram step bars, I don't want a soft tonneau. That said i did opt for a couple things just so i didn't have to deal with it myself like the rear wheelhouse liners.

So I ordered my Rebel with the BUG, Multi-gate and Ramboxes for very specific reasons. I'm finding out thats a minority of users. but personally these are my reasons:

Bed utility: Lighting in the bed esp under a tonneau has proven to be a cannot live w/o thing. doing it aftermarket isn't that hard, but it looks/works so much nicer when its factory. spray in liners are the way to go imo, hands down. the adjustable hooks are nice and i use them a lot but you can't really tie down big heavy stuff with them as they attach to a rail on the bed, not the bed itself so i'll never trust the weight rating printed on them. they are also useless for things that are not tall in the bed, but again, nice to have.

Ramboxes, i love the idea as pretty much every truck i'v had except 1, i'd put swing cases in it. thats just how i like to store things like hitch stuff, recovery straps, etc. I don't use a cross bed toolbox. And two ram boxes, compared to 2 swing cases is more than 2wice the storage, and i love that they are lockable and have a weather seal (tho i have never believed any "weather seal" on a truck bed to be "water-tight" they do help vs not having one at all.) i love the idea of being able to open these cases w/o opening the tailgate/tonneau, and i love that they lock/unlock with the doors and gate now. imho their only downside is they limit your tonneau options. as far as what they "take up " in the bed, they way i use mine i will still be able to. you can still fit drywall/plywood sheets in there and i don't put my ATV in my truck bed anymore because i've decided thats not the way i want to die, hahaha. the other thing is vs a swing case you don't give up the tie-downs at the gate end of the bed, OR obscure any bed lighting or the option for a bed extender.

The ONE truck i DIDN't put a swing case in, i instead opted for a bed extender (and mostly) because when you roll it back into the bed it keeps everything right up near the tailgate (hockey equip bags for my kind and I, groceries, 1 or 2 suitcases when dropping someone off at the AP and not having to crawl into the bed to get them when you get where you're going.) BUT with a swing case you CAN'T have a bed extender, and with a bed extender, you CAN'T have a swing case. With the rambox, can can have all of it esp with the bed cargo divider which if you have done your research you can STILL use as a bed extender on the gate for about $20 on the Amazons.

Multi-function Tailgate. Ram's entrance into the "look what MY gate does" market i think is one of the best designs. granted it makes more joints in the back end and allows more "trail dust" into the back end of the bed, but like i said before nothing is "water-tight" and thusly nothing is "dust-tight" either and i always pack stuff back there accordingly. but i LOVE (as a dude with a back that the Army left me with) being able to open the gate with or w/o a trailer hooked up and reach right into the bed, esp with stuff like a small generator or a cast pump, thats heavy, awkward and doesn't just "slide off the gate" and into the bed once it somehow gets up there. here you can put the heavy@$$ thing right where its goin, and close the gate. (not to take shots, but you also can't accidentally crank your expensive gate onto your trailer hitch like some other designs.) Before rear cams were a thing, i used to take my tail gate off more than a little, so now i can say "I still do, but i used to too" (mitch hedberg 🤣)as this gets you almost there. and with the bed divider in-place this gets you even closer to the thing you want to keep up against the gate in the bed.

The other things to me, that were a personal must have were the sun roof, the G/T pkg and the comfort/convenience pkg but i didn't care about the trailer mirrors or the trailer group with that weird steering knob, haha i only pull a small utility trailer with my ATV or what have you, and i don't care about the 12" screen even tho it looks nice. chip-wise, i wasn't even allowed to order the advanced safety group as that is now being reserved for Laramie's first IIRC? it's a lot of really nice stuff so it was a bummer, but not a show stopper as i've never had those things anyways so i wont know what i'm missing. I also don't need the cold weather group.

hope that adds to the discussion.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I might ditch the sunroof, as I just don’t open it much in Texas (aside from showing it off to first-time riders, of course).

I have, use, and would probably order every other option again.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went through this last week also. I went with a patriot blue big horn with the back country option, pano roof, 12" radio, 33 gal tank, trailer tow group. Just bummed that there is no led lighting option for the big horn.

yup ram

Reaction score
Sounds like you already ordered, but my two cents

To me the more factory installed options, the better. I went all-in with that mindset on my 2022 order. (bedliner, side steps, etc... hell - even exhaust and intake via the GT package) I understand some "don't want to finance" accessories, but that can be circumvented with an increase in your down payment. Plus, I'd rather have someone that installs literally hundreds of these accessories daily on the same exact truck install and warrantying these parts, rather than some truck accessory shop that'll charge me just as much. To be transparent, this is just my thought process, as i have yet to even take delivery of my truck. Figured id share for others considering these types of decisions.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score

To me the more factory installed options, the better. I went all-in with that mindset on my 2022 order. (bedliner, side steps, etc... hell - even exhaust and intake via the GT package) I understand some "don't want to finance" accessories, but that can be circumvented with an increase in your down payment. Plus, I'd rather have someone that installs literally hundreds of these accessories daily on the same exact truck install and warrantying these parts, rather than some truck accessory shop that'll charge me just as much. To be transparent, this is just my thought process, as i have yet to even take delivery of my truck. Figured id share for others considering these types of decisions.
A little over a month from order to delivery? Daaaaaamn... 🙃

Idahoktm

Reaction score

0% financing makes that argument moot. :cool:

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I can agree with that. I tried the same with the rebel I ordered, but the chip shortage got my advanced safety group taken out. Bye bye surround cam.

But for accessories like step bars and a tonneau. They’re not gonna cover it under the truck warranty, you just get whatever the accessory warranty is and the aftermarket stuff is usually better for that in my experience. (I also put this stuff on myself usually so I can see if you don’t want the hassle.) But it’s worth it to me to pick what I want and do it myself in SOME cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2jzDave

Reaction score
I love the North Edition I got level 2, the rubber floor liners are great for keeping the carpet nice, especially on my muddy road. It has the drop in bedliner, but I am impressed with how much traction the material has, nothing moves around in the bed. Trailer brake controller would be nice, but I can always add the OEM one and I get 25% off that anyways. I added a Truxedo low profile tonneau roll up cover. I like the way my truck is because it's "nice enough" (still really nice) but doesn't have a ton of extra crap that I can see being expensive repairs in the long run. I do wish it had Navigation, but if I know I'll be somewhere without phone service I just download the area on Google maps and connect to Android auto and it still works offline.

Last edited:

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m getting excited in anticipation, haha so these already showed up.
7fce93b11db6fbc91e620d228379ba70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, here's a question dealing with options... for the Bed Utility Group, does anyone know what determines whether you get the black rails or the silver rails? is it just that one version replaced the other? I'm now noticing how few tonneaus are compatible with the black rails is all.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I need to revise what I think it’s necessary, and have to add panoramic roof and ecodiesel. After owning both the hemi and ecodiesel, I wouldn’t have a RAM 1500 any other way.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey, here's a question dealing with options... for the Bed Utility Group, does anyone know what determines whether you get the black rails or the silver rails? is it just that one version replaced the other? I'm now noticing how few tonneaus are compatible with the black rails is all.
The black rails come with the factory tri-fold tonneau cover. If you want the silver rails don't get any package that includes the tri-fold bed cover.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The black rails come with the factory tri-fold tonneau cover. If you want the silver rails don't get any package that includes the tri-fold bed cover.
I don't have the factory tonneau cover and I have the black rails. I've never seen silver rails.

Users who are viewing this thread