5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What options are a must and what are a waste?

LouNY

Reaction score
It all depends on your desires;
mine were different then many peoples.
I did NOT want the bucket seats and huge counsel in the center of the truck.
I did want the power seats and power lumbar support for the passenger seat, for that I had to go with a Laramie trim or higher.
I had absolutely no use or desire for 20 or 22" tires so to stay with the 18" as the smallest rims available.
I did get the ORG and the Bed group.

tolh13

Reaction score
I think the Bed Utility Group is a Bargen at $845.00
just the x-line in south Fl is 599.00 , bed step 200 to 300 , box lights 200 Plus to do your self and cargo rails and tie downs 200.00
  • 4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks by Mopar®
  • Deployable Bed-Step by Mopar®
  • Spray-In Bedliner by Mopar®
  • Pick-Up Box Lighting

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Getting ready to order my truck and going through the options, are there some options that are completely worth it or a complete waste? (examples below Im pondering)

- Ramboxes
- Trailer Tech Group (I can backup a trailer for 30 years, not sure I need a button to do this?)
- Bed liner (Factory or aftermarket?)
- Tonneau Cover (Factory aftermarket?)
- Air shocks? (seems like something destined to fail after warranty expires?)
- Running boards. Looks nice, but ?

Thanks!
The things on your list that were a must for me:
BUG...the bed liner, lights, tie down system and bed step would be more expensive to add later and I didn't have to worry about a botched job on the bed liner. Do a search on this forum. There are a few examples of aftermarket spray-in liners that were screwed up. What a mess. The factory liner is every bit as good as Line X or Rhino Linings. I had Rhino spray a motorcycle tie down bar after I got the truck and I can't tell any difference between the two.

20210726_151451.jpg

Mopar Power Running Boards...$900, which is $400 cheaper than you can buy them anywhere and you would still need to install them.

tomme12

Reaction score
Thank you EVERYONE! The comments are great and opinions. Being that I want two tone truck in gray/black (or whatever its called) the Rebel is it. The options I have spec'd:
- Sunroof
- 3.92 (only option)
- Electronic shift
- 33 Tank
- Air suspension
- safety group
- Bed utility
- Comfort and Conv
- Rebel 12
- Rebel B
- Side Step Bars
- Multi Tailgate
- Spray In Liner

On the fence about the Rambox yet. Need to look at them at a dealer and see if its worth it.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First I've heard of that.

There was a problem with some modules getting water intrusion and causing the Rambox to open on it's own, but it was a simple warranty fix with a newer module.

This. Leaking had never been an issue. It’s a love hate some guys including myself love the Rambox feature (wish my 4th Gen had them) but then again it depends on what your using your truck for. For me it’s my daily work tool box it’s so nice to be able to grab something out of my tool bag without having to constantly climb in and out of the bed. I hated doing that with my 4th Gen and wish I would of done more research before I settled. Some hate the look but for me function > form it’s not a Ferrari and if where talking fit and finish I’m sure if you really focus on the truck overall you’ll see issues that you tend to get with any assembly line vehicle and there’s some adjustment you can do to make the fit better if it’s an issue.

3.92 are also a no brainer. Yes you lose a tad bit of MPG but you’ll appreciate the better gearing and more responsiveness especially if your towing or going with heavier wheels/tires down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
As an owner of three Ram 1500 DT's with ramboxes, I can say we haven't had any issues with them leaking. It's your choice of course, but if you want the versatility of them, don't let anyone scare you out of getting them because of lid fitment or leaks. The lids can be adjusted if you know how. The problem is that most FCA techs don't know how to do that. In my opinion, unless you're looking for a show truck, the extra lockable storage outweighs any alignment issues you might have with them. And since you're including the BUG, you also get the versatility of the bed divider if you get the rambox option. Just my opinion of course, but I won't buy another Ram truck without them as long as they are available. Good decision on the decision to include the MFT in your build.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MFT is a back saver. Glad it made your list.
Also, I really enjoy the air ride suspension.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go for the Bed Utility Group (BUG) - good bang for the buck.
Tonneau and Running boards - lots of options. Figure out your needs and wants prior to making a decision. Lots of information on the forum.
LEDS - great for my old eyes and I consider it a safety feature.
I like my sliding rear glass, pounding in the truck if it is closed and windows are open.

I wanted the LED lights, but the dealer said they weren't available when I ordered my Big Horn.

Wtray

Reaction score
Good to know.... I may bail on the rambox selection.. I heard they leak.
I have zero leaks with my RAMBOX and I live in the Pacific Northwest so I see lots of RAIN. Highly recommend the BUG. The next thing to ensure that you have is the LED headlights, I love the brightness of these.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you EVERYONE! The comments are great and opinions. Being that I want two tone truck in gray/black (or whatever its called) the Rebel is it. The options I have spec'd:
- Sunroof
- 3.92 (only option)
- Electronic shift
- 33 Tank
- Air suspension
- safety group
- Bed utility
- Comfort and Conv
- Rebel 12
- Rebel B
- Side Step Bars
- Multi Tailgate
- Spray In Liner

On the fence about the Rambox yet. Need to look at them at a dealer and see if its worth it.
Awesome list, but just a warning your payload is going to suffer severely from all those options. If you don’t tow anything heavy or don’t intend on getting a camper you’ll be fine.

Which motor are you going for?

If you intend on off-roading I would recommend the Rear Wheelhouse Liners.

I saw your initial post you mentioned the trailer tow group, I personally don’t recommend that option but I Highly recommend you get the trailer brake controller.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting ready to order my truck and going through the options, are there some options that are completely worth it or a complete waste? (examples below Im pondering)

- Ramboxes
- Trailer Tech Group (I can backup a trailer for 30 years, not sure I need a button to do this?)

Thanks!
Ramboxes - depends how you use your truck. I run a truck cap so those would be impossible, and I need all the extra space you can get for a work truck.
Trailer group - I like the trailer group which gives you the trailer brakes, but that's part of the tow package which I would get.
Bedliner - definitely. Whether factory or aftermarket makes no difference.
Tonneau Cover - depends again how you use the truck. A no-go for me.
Air shocks - I wouldn't get these, just adding complexity and things that can break. Exception might be if I expected to have constant heavy payloads for leveling.
Running boards - definitely, but there's plenty of good aftermarket options. I would have liked to have had the auto-deploying ones but I'm happy with my fixed aftermarkets.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks!
Trailer group - I wanted the trailer TPMS, so for me, it was worth it for that alone.

Bed liner - I passed on that and will have it done aftermarket

Tonneau cover - Same as the bed liner. Going with a DiamondBack cover.

Running boards - They came with the Southwest Edition, but probably would have gone with an aftermarket option if they hadn't.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
I have a
Ram 2500HD with the 6.7 Cummins
4x4 with the offroad package
Towing pkg.
Dual Alternators
NO LED's!!!!
I sprayed in UPOL urethane bedliner in the bed and on the lower sides in pewter to match the 4x4 logo.. Did the lower sides to protect against rock chips.
60 gal aux tank
Nerf bars (the wife likes the step) I like them to protect the sides from *******s in parking lots.
I have the 8.4 but its really not a big deal for me.
NO CONSOLE, I want to convert this to a manual 6 speed--its in the "Que"
Heavy front bumper
I am making a set of custom wheels 19.5" to run a commercial offroad tire, I get about 200k miles on a set of tires this way.
Have a wiring harness to install the upfitter aux switches-- second in the "Que"

Those are the only options I wanted...

Attachments

• 20211015_174213.jpg
    20211015_174213.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 43

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Bedliner: Might as well because it costs as much from the factory as it does aftermarket.
Here’s why I wouldn’t get the other options you mentioned:
Steps: Theres plenty of aftermarket options that are nicer for around the same price. Plus if your truck is stock height you probably won’t even need them.
Tonneau Cover: Aftermarket has better options. I love my Undercover Ultra Flex.
Ram Boxes: I can see them being functional, but it robs bed space, they seem to have faults from the factory, and they detract a lot from your payload! These trucks already have low payloads, you don’t want to lower it even more.
Trailer Tech: If you can already back up a trailer then save your money.
Air Ride: Not gonna lie it’s kind of cool, but I think putting that money towards some Carli Suspension coilovers would give a more noticeable ride improvement.
Multi Function Tailgate: This is another one that I actually do really like, but once again it detracts from payload a tonnn, so it’s not worth it even if you plan on towing light loads with some people in the cab.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
- Sunroof
- 3.92 (only option)
- Electronic shift
- 33 Tank
- Air suspension
- safety group
- Bed utility
- Comfort and Conv
- Rebel 12
- Rebel B
- Side Step Bars
- Multi Tailgate
- Spray In Liner

That sounds like an awesome fully loaded truck, congrats! But I mean this, if you ever plan on hauling anything heavy in the bed or ever plan on towing anything while having other people in the cab you’re going to already be over payload. That’s not the end of the world, but seeing as the rear axle is the limiting factor (I think) I personally wouldn’t want to push it too far above what it says your payload is. Which on a truck like that I bet your payload is around 1100lbs. Very light.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Hemi V8
4x4
Limited slip

That's about it, everything else is dead weight. I will say power folding mirrors to get into the garage is pretty nice, my Tradesman was a pain rolling down the window everyday to reach out and fold the mirror manually

Jako

Reaction score
Hemi V8
4x4
Limited slip

That's about it, everything else is dead weight. I will say power folding mirrors to get into the garage is pretty nice, my Tradesman was a pain rolling down the window everyday to reach out and fold the mirror manually
Good call on the mirrors.
Never had issues with my 2001 non folding and rarely folded but the 2019 I believe is a little over 8' when not folded. That and traffic congestion has multiplied many fold in the last 20 years necessitating a lot more squeeze throughs.

tomme12

Reaction score
That sounds like an awesome fully loaded truck, congrats! But I mean this, if you ever plan on hauling anything heavy in the bed or ever plan on towing anything while having other people in the cab you’re going to already be over payload. That’s not the end of the world, but seeing as the rear axle is the limiting factor (I think) I personally wouldn’t want to push it too far above what it says your payload is. Which on a truck like that I bet your payload is around 1100lbs. Very light.
Id say at most, Id tow around 5-6k boat or less and probably wouldnt be that far. Payload wise, I dont see more than 1500lbs .

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

- Ramboxes

I was interested in these, but wanted the long(er) bed like you, and the Rambox is not offered with 6'4" bed. Shrug.

Ditto. I chose to forego this. I only tow a light utility trailer. Others, with big and often towing, may see more need.

As absolute must for me. The RAM liner is good and at a decent price. I did it.

I did an aftermarket as it fit my desires better than the factory one. (A RetraxPro.)

Air suspension is probably what you mean. I think it'd be nice, but didn't fit my use. And, as you mention, I thought it would be something that would fail later and I intend on long-term ownership.

Yes. I wanted power steps. The RAM ones seemed pretty good, and the $1,000 price was very good. What WASN'T good was the requirement for a $3,500 tech package for them to be installed. (I'd already checked the box for a $1,000 tech package.) This meant it was a $3,500 total cost to me to order them from RAM. (The higher tech package included everything in the lower, so I'd "save" the $1,000 tech money when getting the $3,500 tech plus steps.)

I went aftermarket, AMPResearch and love them.

I also went with the MultiFunction Tailgate (MFT) after asking a question here. I was persuaded and very happy to have been so.

Users who are viewing this thread