5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What options are a must and what are a waste?

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen trucks with the BUG online with both colors of rails, so i was just tryin to suss out why that is... but what it amounts to is the black rails pigeon hole you into a very small group of tonneau options, where the silver ones have more options.

LouNY

Reaction score
I've seen trucks with the BUG online with both colors of rails, so i was just tryin to suss out why that is... but what it amounts to is the black rails pigeon hole you into a very small group of tonneau options, where the silver ones have more options.

I'm confused by BUG you are meaning Bed Utility Group is this correct?
Which rails are you referring to the two rails with the adjustable tye down points?
My understanding of the BUG option is the rails and adjustable tie down points, spray in bed liner, bed lighting, and on the 22's the bed step.
How does the rail for the tie downs effect any tonneau cover it is located midway down in the side of the bed.

tolh13

Reaction score
I'm confused by BUG you are meaning Bed Utility Group is this correct?
Which rails are you referring to the two rails with the adjustable tye down points?
My understanding of the BUG option is the rails and adjustable tie down points, spray in bed liner, bed lighting, and on the 22's the bed step.
How does the rail for the tie downs effect any tonneau cover it is located midway down in the side of the bed.
Most if not all tonneau covers (For Rambox) rails attach to the top of the truck cargo rail and most specify silver rail.

LouNY

Reaction score
OK, For the beds with the RAM boxes.
Kind of interesting just for the heck of it I did a build it for a 22 recently;
the RAM box bed wasn't an option,
the light colored interior wasn't an option,
and the fancy cruise and such wasn't an option.
And that was on a Laramie.
Really have to watch the options to stay away from the 20 or 22" wheels and the 5 person bucket seats which I have no desire to have.

tolh13

Reaction score
OK, For the beds with the RAM boxes.
Kind of interesting just for the heck of it I did a build it for a 22 recently;
the RAM box bed wasn't an option,
the light colored interior wasn't an option,
and the fancy cruise and such wasn't an option.
And that was on a Laramie.
Really have to watch the options to stay away from the 20 or 22" wheels and the 5 person bucket seats which I have no desire to have.
I think i got one of the few 22 bighorns with Rambox before they drop it as a option.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im going for the Rebel as I like the two tone color and its only offered in that model.
Probably too late since I think you already ordered, but the two tone paint is also offered in the Big Horn Backcountry and could save a few bucks. Not sure if you can order all the options you are looking for in that model though.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
My “gotta have’s” were a bit different.

I skipped things like the Tech Package(heads up display), Trailer Tech, Ram Boxes, MFT, BUG, Sunroof, Safety Package.

Must haves for me were:
EcoD
33 gal Tank
Rebel 12

I added the bed liner and Night Edition.

I’ll add the wheel liners myself.

have no interest in side steps or bed cover.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Must Haves IMHO

33 gal tank
Adaptive Cruise*
Power Mirrors*
Spray in liner
Tow Pkg
Remote Start
Tonneau Cover
LED headlights & Bed lights
Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
Leather
Remote tailgate
Full length running boards.

* I don't have but wish I did.

I have a panoramic sunroof I never use.

Prefer 3.21 over 3.92 I have had both. Nope that is not a misprint.

I like my 2019 air ride but preferred the aftermarket Bilstein 5100 set up on my 2014.

Loved both my Ram 1500's.
2014 Big Horn & 2019 Laramie. Both Hemi's

I don't tow much (utility trailer). Mainly highway use, no offroading.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Must Have's:

Hemi (non et)
4wd
anti slip rear end
33 gallon fuel tank
LED headlights and tail lights
Well. Those are my exact "must haves" too. I did a few more since I ordered but those were the top.

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
- Ramboxes - I don't have and didn't need
- Trailer Tech Group - Nice, I suppose but not needed and 1 more thing to break.
- Bed liner - I prefer aftermarket
- Tonneau Cover - After market 100%
- Air shocks - I can't imagine you need these unless you are willing to pay for service calls often. Ecspecially if you live in a cold area.
- Running boards - I have factory Mopar boards
For me, my requirements were simple. I wanted the 12" Uconnect, 3.92 rear, off-road package, hitch set up, and a Crew Cab. I got all of that and MORE with the "Built to Serve" Edition I purchased.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must Haves IMHO

33 gal tank
Adaptive Cruise*
Power Mirrors*
Spray in liner
Tow Pkg
Remote Start
Tonneau Cover
LED headlights & Bed lights
Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
Leather
Remote tailgate
Full length running boards.

* I don't have but wish I did.

I have a panoramic sunroof I never use.

Prefer 3.21 over 3.92 I have had both. Nope that is not a misprint.

I like my 2019 air ride but preferred the aftermarket Bilstein 5100 set up on my 2014.

Loved both my Ram 1500's.
2014 Big Horn & 2019 Laramie. Both Hemi's

I don't tow much (utility trailer). Mainly highway use, no offroading.

Can you expand your thoughts on your preference of the 3.21 over 3.92?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont know if it helps, but one thought I have with the gearing (which I know has been beaten to death) is also where you live. Flat land area can maybe get away with a lower gearing where hilly or higher elevation owners might need that extra oomph. For my use I am still trying to decide. No trailer now or in the future. Longer term maybe a snow plow if I relocate back to Maine where I started.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Can you expand your thoughts on your preference of the 3.21 over 3.92?
Quite a bit late for me to be responding. My apologies.

I prefer the 3.21 for these reasons.

1. The 3.21 seems more relaxed at highway speeds. I drive a lot of highway miles. The difference in RPMs is noticeable.

2. The obvious, gas mileage. I believe it was a savings of about 10% for me.

3. I don't tow anything other than a small 5x10 utility trailer. Even overloaded that does not add up to much weight. I probably use my trailer three times per year.

4. My stop light to stop light racing days have been over for about 40 years so any quickness factor is kind of wasted on me. Not even sure I noticed a difference.

I've really enjoyed both my 3.21 & 3.92 trucks. So I can't complain about either one. But my preference is the 3.21.

I put 55,000 miles on the 2014/ 3.21, I'm approaching 50,000 miles on the 2019/ 3.92.

Users who are viewing this thread