5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your oil pressure?

Denny Crane

Reaction score
On the 5.7 L hemi

Mine is always above 50 when driving, higher when cold, but ... when it is all warmed up at idle it would dip under 40 psi with the factory oil, and now pushes down close to 31 psi with the new oil.

I always figured if it EVER gets under 40 psi, I have a problem. But the thing runs great.

What do you guys show? I use the center display to read this.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Around 50 to 52. 44-46 idling warm if I recall correctly. I'll pay closer attention and let you know if I see anything lower.

What oil type did you switch to? 31 seems a bit low.

Allnewhemi19

Reaction score
When engine oil is cold oil pressure is over 50psi
When oil is hot 220 degrees pressure drops to 48psi while cruising and 28psi at idle.

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
I always check after having it done that they put the right amount in as done off a fill hose metering nozzle.
One advantage of the dealer is they know how many qts go in a hemi.

Ch28

Reaction score
Cold mine is around 65, once warmed up and driving seems to hover around 52. And idle its around 45. Our 14 T+C with the 3.6 is in the 90s when cold and high 60s when warm, so the 1500 in the 50s seems good to me.

Denny Crane

Reaction score
Around 50 to 52. 44-46 idling warm if I recall correctly. I'll pay closer attention and let you know if I see anything lower.

What oil type did you switch to? 31 seems a bit low.

They put in the pennzoil synthetic blend. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to use that again.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They put in the pennzoil synthetic blend. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to use that again.
I wonder if going up in viscosity with Synthetic will yield better oil pressure. I think 5W20 is the stock oil. Seems thin to me.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your pressure sounds fine to me; here's the 5.7 spec. I get into the 30's psi too in my Durango when fully warmed.

2019-02-28 23_28_53-Window.png

The Pennzoil Synthetics, both Platinum and Ultra Platinum, are some of the best engine oils currently on the market. See BITOG.

Denny Crane

Reaction score
Your pressure sounds fine to me; here's the 5.7 spec. I get into the 30's psi too in my Durango when fully warmed.

View attachment 17476

The Pennzoil Synthetics, both Platinum and Ultra Platinum, are some of the best engine oils currently on the market. See BITOG.

Thank you for the info. What doc are those specifications from? I am new to Ram engines, which is why I posted the query.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. What doc are those specifications from? I am new to Ram engines, which is why I posted the query.

Hey Denny. From the 5.7L engine section of the Durango TechAuthority service manual. I'm assuming the numbers are the same for the Ram; maybe someone here can confirm.

machz

Reaction score
mine at operating temp, driving at 35 was 51.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My helicopter ranges from 25 PSI (allowable) at idle, to 115 PSI at start up, with an operating range of 55 - 95 PSI under full power. The ranges I see posted from the trucks above would seem to be NORMAL. And, yes I know my hell is not my truck, just pointing out the manufacturers allowable range (Documented in Operator's Manual) for another piston engine.

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember peeps we have vvt, mds with a variable displacement oil pump/ actuator set up. Depending on demand, and other senecios will change pressure readings with all different levels of engine rpm.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I have only 700 miles on my 5.7 and when warm see 48 - 51 psi when driving.

TexasDrew

Reaction score
At Idle in Drive, after the truck is warm, my oil pressure gauge indicates low or left of center by about two needle widths; even lower than in the picture. My voltmeter always indicates a high charge (to the right) regardless of the drive state (N, D, or Park), temperature and/or conditions. I test drove another 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and it also indicated a High charging state (right of center) but the mechanic said that was normal for this truck. Especially on a Pick Up, I believe in very accurate and calibrated gauges, I also prefer actual readings in PSI and Volts as opposed to "L" and "H" and I am not a fan of voltmeters that do not sit in the middle. In my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 (Magnum 5.9L) the oil, voltmeter and temperature gauges sit dead center unless conditions warrant, well the temperature runs a little cold (aftermarket "cold" thermostat) unless I'm pulling a huge trailer in mid summer (100+ degrees), then it will run dead center or a little warm.

Attachments

• Oil Pressure.jpg
    Oil Pressure.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 132

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a ‘02 mag 5.9l the oil gauge is a dummy gauge. As sensor only read ok or not. New not even just 5th gen but previous gen was a actual sensor to read real time, precise pressure. Was for proper mds/vvt and oil pump displacement systems to make sure work properly and when to.

Users who are viewing this thread