5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Known about the Bed Utility Group Options

Pribilof

Reaction score
I’d consider ordering them if I hadn’t already paid for them when I purchased the truck w/ BUG option.

No offense but you have a $60k+ truck and you're not willing to spend $60 on eBay to buy the missing extender bolts while you wait on a credit from FCA?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The extender is no different from my 2014 one and they sure don't cover/hide the tail light. I call BS on that one. I should have taken it off my 2014 and given them to one of you guys. I sold the extender to a friend but didn't take the pins off when I traded it in.

Pribilof

Reaction score
I ordered the divider, the pins, and the handle from a mopar parts website (of a Ram dealer). I ordered on Thursday and called them today. They were only waiting on the handles (68054996AA) to arrive and they told me on the phone 5 minutes ago that the scheduled date of delivery for the handles is tomorrow. They may not be able to put these on new trucks but they are definitely still making the parts and shipping them out no questions asked.

hallchris80

Reaction score
It’s not discontinued. It’s been replaced with a newer part number. It’s on order and hasn’t shown up yet. Part #82215289AD

I have the BLACK rail system on My 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. There are 2 different types. The black ones and the aluminum ones.

The black ones are installed when you ordering your truck with a Ram Tonneau cover.

The aluminum ones are installed when you don't specify a tonneau cover at build.

I myself ordred a tonneau cover with my truck and realized I didn't like it. I told the dealer to take it off and install different accessories in its place. When I ordered the Tonneau Cover I wanted from BAK, it didn't fit my truck. BAKs told me it only fits on the aluminum coloured rails. Not black rails. Now I either have to order the Tonneau cover I didn't want from Ram, or order a new set of aluminum rails and the BAKs Tonneau Cover. Problem is, Rails are almost the price of the Ram Tonneau Cover.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I guess I'll stew for a bit.

I'D BE WILLING TO SWAP MY BLACK ONES FOR ALUMINUM ONES!

My truck didn't come with the divider/extender either or the grommet/handle. Parts are on order. Divider and one of the other parts has arrived. Waiting on the third part.

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the BLACK rail system on My 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. There are 2 different types. The black ones and the aluminum ones.

The black ones are installed when you ordering your truck with a Ram Tonneau cover.

The aluminum ones are installed when you don't specify a tonneau cover at build.

I myself ordred a tonneau cover with my truck and realized I didn't like it. I told the dealer to take it off and install different accessories in its place. When I ordered the Tonneau Cover I wanted from BAK, it didn't fit my truck. BAKs told me it only fits on the aluminum coloured rails. Not black rails. Now I either have to order the Tonneau cover I didn't want from Ram, or order a new set of aluminum rails and the BAKs Tonneau Cover. Problem is, Rails are almost the price of the Ram Tonneau Cover.

My truck didn't come with the divider/extender either or the grommet/handle. Parts are on order. Divider and one of the other parts has arrived. Waiting on the third part.

Cheers,
Chris
THIS explains why I have black rails. Cool. Thanks.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Hope this is a good place to add this. I am being charged (so far) 545 for BUG and 195 for deployable bed step. Talking with RAM chat the bed step should be included. What are your experiences with this discrepancy?

Attachments

• D4D0E04D-D0CD-40E4-AF3A-9F079DC22116.jpeg
    D4D0E04D-D0CD-40E4-AF3A-9F079DC22116.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 48

Rich

Reaction score

I'D BE WILLING TO SWAP MY BLACK ONES FOR ALUMINUM ONES!

Cheers,
Chris

That is very informative, thanks!

By the looks of it, BAK could easily use the black rail and mount to it. As it is, for the silver rail profile, they supply a slide in part to give their cover something to sit on and to grab onto with thier clamps.

Their slide in part that works with the silver rail basically creates a top profile that ends up looking very much like the profile on the black rail that you show in the picture. Of course, without having the BAK system to test, or the silver rail with the BAK insert to compare, we can't be sure it would work. I would think it would be in BAK's best interest to figure this out and get it resolved. Perhaps they already did and decided it wasn't working and wasn't worth the effort for the amount of covers they would sell to someone that already had the factory cover and wanted to convert to their BAK products?

RAM isn't making this easy for us, and that silver rail still should be black! LOL

Last edited:

PwC

Reaction score
Hope this is a good place to add this. I am being charged (so far) 545 for BUG and 195 for deployable bed step. Talking with RAM chat the bed step should be included. What are your experiences with this discrepancy?

I chatted with Ram Today. I ordered my Limited with Rambox & BUG on 11/3. My build sheet doesn't show the bedstep on it, but Daryl (from RAM chat) checked and said (in writing) that my build should have the step and that it was installed. We shall see.

Attachments

• Ram Chat BUG.pdf
    182.7 KB · Views: 26

Rototerrier

Reaction score
About to order a Laramie Longhorn with RamBoxes. Do I need the BUG to get the Divider? I've read thru this thread and it's gone back an forth and is very confusing. Anyone have a definitive answer?

rsonedecker

Reaction score
About to order a Laramie Longhorn with RamBoxes. Do I need the BUG to get the Divider? I've read thru this thread and it's gone back an forth and is very confusing. Anyone have a definitive answer?
Bed Utility Group contains the bed divider, but only if ordered in conjunction with the Rambox.

BUG alone = no divider
Rambox alone = no divider
BUG+Rambox = bed divider.

rsonedecker

Reaction score
I chatted with Ram Today. I ordered my Limited with Rambox & BUG on 11/3. My build sheet doesn't show the bedstep on it, but Daryl (from RAM chat) checked and said (in writing) that my build should have the step and that it was installed. We shall see.
From my dealer who spoke to their regional Rep, the bed step was removed a long time ago from the BUG, and added as a separate option. New marketing materials printed after the change reflect this. I had to add the bed step as a separate option in order to get it in my January Order, and I have the BUG as well. Rep said it had been this way since at least last October.

If your build sheet doesn't specify "Bed Step - Deployable" then I don't think you'll have them.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
how did you get your owners manual?

You can either call Ram or use their online chat to request a copy. The asked for my VIN. Make sure they send you the one for the DT model, not the DS (the 19 ram Classic)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From my dealer who spoke to their regional Rep, the bed step was removed a long time ago from the BUG, and added as a separate option. New marketing materials printed after the change reflect this. I had to add the bed step as a separate option in order to get it in my January Order, and I have the BUG as well. Rep said it had been this way since at least last October.

If your build sheet doesn't specify "Bed Step - Deployable" then I don't think you'll have them.
Yeah, a lot of us with early builds got hosed on that one. All FCA materials (I have at least four unique documents) at the time of order listed the bed step (and, in some cases, provided images showing it). Of course, it was missing when our trucks were delivered. FCA got away with it by listing "late availability" on some (not all) of those documents. They couldn't do the same with the bed extender pegs, since those were readily available (unchanged from the 4th gen). Then the now-infamous "engineering hold" appeared for the bed step, forcing all of us to buy it through online wholesalers for much more than the price of the option.

This could have been handled slightly differently by FCA, and everyone would have been happy. Instead of quietly revising the owner's manual and supporting documentation along the way, early adopters could have been proactively notified of the change to the bed extender and also given an opportunity to 'preorder' the bed step at little/no charge, since it was supposedly paid for in the original order anyway. It would have been an inexpensive goodwill gesture on the part of FCA to thank those jumped in early and helped the new truck get off to a great start...

w0bbles

Reaction score
Hi all,

Without having to read all 9 pages, I'm looking for a couple of quick simple answers regarding BUG:

- Are the rails for a non-rambox bed the same as a rambox bed? I cannot find a part number for a rambox.
- Does anybody know the weight capacity of the factory crossbars offered to be used with the rails? (below)
https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku-y...MwUQPf53amPuCoAgc3MmqFxCKDCq_VekaAuh1EALw_wcB

I plan to purchase these for my Rebel that should be coming in within a couple of weeks. I purchased a roof top tent, and I'm thinking this might be my simple solution to using it without spending $2k+ on a rack system.

Thanks!

cobrar97

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I believe I got mis-led on the BUG as well. I ordered a Ram Limited W/O Ramboxes, but with the BUG option. I specifically ordered it for the bed divider, as I would use it often. After reading, it appears as though I simply paid for some sliding tie-downs and LED lights. I don't feel real good about it. I see on Ram's Builder where it says the bed divider is (not available with some configurations), but I guess I didn't think enough about it to ask questions. My fault.

mike12193

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I believe I got mis-led on the BUG as well. I ordered a Ram Limited W/O Ramboxes, but with the BUG option. I specifically ordered it for the bed divider, as I would use it often. After reading, it appears as though I simply paid for some sliding tie-downs and LED lights. I don't feel real good about it. I see on Ram's Builder where it says the bed divider is (not available with some configurations), but I guess I didn't think enough about it to ask questions. My fault.

When I ordered my truck I was under the impression the BUG came with the divider too. The BUG on my build came with the spray in liner, bed lights and the utility rails and NO divider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitcom

Reaction score

I feel exactly the same way. Without ram boxes, the BUG does not come with the divider, however, when you build the truck, RAM shows you a picture representing the BUG and shows the divider as part of the package. Very misleading if you ask me. I feel a little cheated on this, I looked at the picture and assumed thats what was included.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much was the BUG for your non-Ranbox bed? And compare that to the price of the BUG for the RAMbox setup which includes the divider. Was there much of a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread