5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What engine oil are you using?

JLaw297

Reaction score
I used the F106N on mine. Less complex with no moving parts other than the valve, and the nipple clears the sway bar. Also accepts the hose if you want to really be mess free.

Also, my engine will never see 0W20 for as long as I own it.

Curious if you tried 5w20 with the current Purolator oil filter your using? I found that the Mopar anti drain back valve is inferior to most and would cause ticking for 5 seconds or so until oil pressure builds. Change to a good quality oil filter with a silicone anti drain back valve and have never had tick right at start up.

raygun9

Reaction score
Curious if you tried 5w20 with the current Purolator oil filter your using? I found that the Mopar anti drain back valve is inferior to most and would cause ticking for 5 seconds or so until oil pressure builds. Change to a good quality oil filter with a silicone anti drain back valve and have never had tick right at start up.
Which filter are you using?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Pennzoil platinum 5-20 and a Mopar filter (because warranty). TBN at 7500 miles (towing 4500 of those) was still 2.1.

No ticking issues with the Mopar filter. The only time I get lifter noise is if I fire it cold for a very short time then restart it some time later (could be next day).

If it’s driven for a normal cycle and shut off it never ticks.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pennzoil platinum 5-20 and a Mopar filter (because warranty). TBN at 7500 miles (towing 4500 of those) was still 2.1.

No ticking issues with the Mopar filter. The only time I get lifter noise is if I fire it cold for a very short time then restart it some time later (could be next day).

If it’s driven for a normal cycle and shut off it never ticks.
Good TBN result given the use.

For years I have ran the standard WIX filter or NAPA Gold, they're the same filter and high quality.

If anyone's curious, I ran AMSOIL OE in my 1500 and this is the one analysis that I did on it before trading in for a 2500.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ll switch out to Wix when the warranty is up. I just want nice receipts if anything happens since I do all the maintenance myself. First new vehicle I’ve bought so trying to keep it all as easy as possible if anything were to happen.

Didn’t fully trust the 10k interval so I wanted to get an idea of TBN at my typical 7500 mile OCI. I tow a lot (4k lbs trailer usually near max payload). I’ll likely extend out when I do another UOA but the first one was OCI #2 and there were still a lot of break in materials present.

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
I took my 2021 Ram 1500 5.7l Big Horn in to the dealer for an oil change back in March 2022 for the 1 year oil change at 3,583 miles. I got to looking at the receipt,
no charge, but they put in a 5W20 synthetic blend. Man I was pissed, i had assumed they'd put in full synthetic. I asked the service advisor and he said only the 6.4L
and the diesels call for full synthetic. He also said I needed get the oil changed every 5,000 miles or one year. So I came home and after a couple days I noticed an oil drip. I crawled under and snugged the oil plug up a bit. That worked.
I was still mad and I'm a believer in using full synthetic, which I've used for years in my 2001 Chevy 2500HD, 8.1L gas truck, and other vehicles. So I got online, found the exact Mopar oil filter they used and did another oil change myself using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 Full Synthetic with filter change. In March 2023 when I go in for service I'll definitely request and pay for full synthetic or bring in some Pennzoil Platinum myself.
BTW, bought some extra stock rims and installed 4 new Cooper AT3 XLT Load Range E tires and kept my original rims and Bridgestones. I running 50 psi in them and they run great on the highway and they are very quiet. I went with the heavier tires because I pull a 7500# TT and didn't like the squirm in the original tires. I'll try 65 psi when I'm towing. I have already installed Air Lift 1000 in the springs and a solid Helwig sway bar. I've also upgraded to a Fastway e2 WD hitch rated at 1,200# tongue/12,000# trailer weight.

Reaction score
if going with the pennzoil ultra platinum how often should you change it and how long can it go? aslo seems like a lot of recommendations for 5w-20. considering its now winter where i live should i put in 0w-20?

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just watch the oil life monitor and when It gets below 25%, I schedule my oil change. Usually takes place in a few days so I never get to 0%

Reaction score
In adition to thisnthat i said. I cant find any penzoil ultra platnum anywhere, checked 5 places. Is plantinum that much worse? What about mobil 1 extended performance?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In adition to thisnthat i said. I cant find any penzoil ultra platnum anywhere, checked 5 places. Is plantinum that much worse? What about mobil 1 extended performance?
From what I can recall I have always ordered on line using Walmart when on sale. I have not found it available on the "shelves".

Jorangel87

Reaction score
If you’re not worried about cost or not being cheap I’d recommend using Amsoil, it beats the best of the best next inline would
Be ultra platinum penn. the 5.7 hemis hate idling so I’d say use Amsoil it’s the best protection for these engines.

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you’re not worried about cost or not being cheap is recommend using Amsoil, it beats the best of the best next inline would
Be ultra platinum penn. the 5.7 hemis hate idling so I’d say use Amsoil it’s the besr protection for these engines.
Did Amsoil ever design an extended life filter that matched with the oil life? I used Amsoil years ago but stopped due to the filter life only being half the oil life. Sure wasn’t going to change the filter at the halfway point. Hopefully they finally designed one.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
Did Amsoil ever design an extended life filter that matched with the oil life? I used Amsoil years ago but stopped due to the filter life only being half the oil life. Sure wasn’t going to change the filter at the halfway point. Hopefully they finally designed one.
I use Wix filters, best filters in the oil industry.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
How many miles do you run Amsoil before changing?
5-6k even though the oil is rated for 20k and ram says every 10k I know I’m probably wasting money doing this but I know my engine is good as the day I drove it off the dealer. And it’s for my peace of mind. But I only charge the filter every other oil change since they also last up to 15k or 20k. Currently at 82k miles and engine idling sounds quiet and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online