5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What engine oil are you using?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's the wrong question. The question is, why does FCA now recommend 0w-20 when in the past 5w-30 was completely fine in the engine?

The answer to that is, fuel economy. Physics and Chemistry haven't changed any, which means a more viscous oil generally has higher MOFT and better protection for your engine.

If you want the highest protection for your engine: 0/5w-30.
If you want the highest fuel economy for your engine: 0w-16/20

You decide what you want, FCA chose fuel economy.
Do you have actual proof, something you can post that shows that 30W is actually better for durability besides personal anecdotal opinion?

Because I've read and seen videos that state that 20W is actually better for lubrication on these engines.

But again, no definite proof from them either. I'm open minded. I'm willing to go either way if there was something that states it's actually true.

silver billet

Reaction score
Do you have actual proof, something you can post that shows that 30W is actually better for durability besides personal anecdotal opinion?

Because I've read and seen videos that state that 20W is actually better for lubrication on these engines.

But again, no definite proof from them either. I'm open minded. I'm willing to go either way if there was something that states it's actually true.

It's basic chemistry though I'm not a chemist by any means. The higher the viscosity, the higher the MOFT (minimum oil film thickness). This is well discussed on bitog, you can also google it.

silver billet

Reaction score

Here is a good read; it can be hard to follow as both sides are vehement, but I think its pretty clear what's going on. Once you hang out on BITOG for a few weeks you learn who the experts are, and they are clearly in the "thick oil is better" camp and they can prove it. I'm just passing along information learned there so don't shoot the messenger please :)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Here is a good read; it can be hard to follow as both sides are vehement, but I think its pretty clear what's going on. Once you hang out on BITOG for a few weeks you learn who the experts are, and they are clearly in the "thick oil is better" camp and they can prove it. I'm just passing along information learned there so don't shoot the messenger please :)

Thanks man, appreciate it, will give it a good read.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I gave up on BITOG many years ago. To many self proclaimed "experts" who will agree with an belittle anyone who even hunts at disagreeing with them.

silver billet

Reaction score
I gave up on BITOG many years ago. To many self proclaimed "experts" who will agree with an belittle anyone who even hunts at disagreeing with them.

That's not really relevant, nor surprising since every forum is exactly the same. That's human nature.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is all the good stuff that made oil great like phosphorus and ZDDP is no longer found in off the shelf API certified oil. It was determined to be bad for catalytic converters by the EPA.

The priority today is reducing emissions, not reducing wear

Users who are viewing this thread