5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What engine oil are you using?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Get the My Ram app, you can see all maintenance the dealer enters for your VIN and submit records yourself as well. A good way to keep a log on maintenance, plus other things like recalls, coupons, schedule service, etc...Pretty decent app.
I've looked everywhere on the My Ram app and I can't find anywhere to enter my own maintenance information.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Amsoil 5-20. I actually use amsoil in my street bike and track bike and they have a great oil for my 65 mustang. no issues and no complaints.

amsoil sells it in a 275 gallon tote for anyone that likes to bulk buy!

FWIW I honestly don’t believe you can go wrong with any of the quality branded stuff out there at this point. But amsoil is better😁

Last edited:

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
Only because I love K&N air filter, Cold Air Intake, and Oil threads.

Redline 0w-30 with the oversized Fram Titanium FS2.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see any Castrol Edge Advance users. Here is a link on Castrol vs Pup.

There's no such thing as Castrol Edge Advance. The article you linked is actually comparing Castrol Edge to Pennzoil Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) is not mentioned in this article.

There's so much confusion even within each oil brand. It's no wonder people get confused on which oil to use.
Castrol Edge comes in the following flavors (from the Castrol website):
Castrol Edge
Castrol Edge High Mileage
Castrol Edge Extended Performance
Castrol Edge Bio-Synthetic
Castrol edge Supercar
Castrol Edge Euro

Pennzoil Platinum comes in the following flavors (from the Pennzoil website):
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Pennzoil Platinum Euro
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage

It's difficult for me to base a decision on one article. Especially when it makes claims about each oil without providing any sources or data to back those claims up.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 Motor Oil (5 Quart, Single Pack) $39.68​

Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (5-Quart, Single Pack) $23.97​

Big difference there . . . AMAZON
$41.77 if you use the one time purchase link for the 5w20. I bought it through Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $23.98.

Scram1500

Reaction score
With summer almost here, going with 5w 30 as an experiment

GregHBNA

Reaction score
$41.77 if you use the one time purchase link for the 5w20. I bought it through Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $23.98.
Amazon is a strange creature. Prices change everyday. If they see an item is selling good, they'll sometimes hike the price, or mark it as out of stock.

Goldsy

Reaction score
My dealership uses Shell Rotella synthetic 5W20, so I'll stick with that for the free 12 oil changes I got when I bought my truck.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I can't believe no one has said Mobil 1 yet... That stuff is not the "best" but it's certainly reliable and tested.
Walmart had the 5 quart jugs on sale just here recently for $23.97. The extended kind. full synthetic. AND there was a $10 rebate.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
My dealership uses Shell Rotella synthetic 5W20, so I'll stick with that for the free 12 oil changes I got when I bought my truck.
"FREE"? You believe that? Just like the "FREE" tank of gas? LOL You paid for it somewhere in the price of the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread