5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone do for a living?

CopterDoctor

Reaction score
I’m a aircraft mechanic by trade. (Picked up the skill in the US Army on helicopters.). Now after many years working on them, I am the Director of Maintenance Training at FlightSafety International in West Palm Beach, Florida where we teach others to work on the Sikorsky helicopters and Pratt & Whitney engines. Most the time I am behind a desk, but fill in teaching when I can.

Best job I have ever had!

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So does GPWS insult you every time you land?
Retard…. Retard!

Lifelong Old School Boeing 737 guy here! Like an old sports car… Gimme spinning trim wheels, manual generators and the pure sound of rushing air any day of the week! Plus the ability to click everything off and FLY it, not let the computer do it 😁😁

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Retard…. Retard!

Lifelong Old School Boeing 737 guy here! Like an old sports car… Gimme spinning trim wheels, manual generators and the pure sound of rushing air any day of the week! Plus the ability to click everything off and FLY it, not let the computer do it 😁😁
Less like a sports car and more like a dump truck. I spent 5 years on FLUF. 😆

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed some people mention their careers and I'm always interested in what other people do for a living.

I'm an Instrumentation and Controls Technician. We're basically glorified industrial electricians who focus on calibration of instruments and programming of industrial logic. I've been fortunate enough to work in and around various industries such as Oil/Gas, Powergen, Wastewater, Automotive, Aviation and currently Food/Bev. I really love my job and encourage people to look into it or other trades as we're staring down a real shortage of tradesmen in the upcoming years.

I'd love to hear what you guys do!
You want to work in Florida? Lol

brenan00

Reaction score
Besides deferring retirement, an official "early out" or reduction in force, disability retirement or just plain quitting... federal law enforcement officers, firefighters and air traffic controllers under FERS can retire at any age if they have 25 years of service. Congressional employees get sweetheart deals too.

I'm under regular FERS so I can't retire until I'm 56.5 years old (for a total of 35 years served). 3 Years, 3 Months, 13 Days, 3 Hours and 37 Minutes to go......... :poop:
but who's counting. I had about the same amount of time to go before the put me out physically couldn't do it anymore. Yep, my wife is getting us medical with just 15 years of dod service at K Bay.

LouNY

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread to read.
I grew up on a dairy farm, joined the Marines did Avionics on A4's.
Then started in Instrumentation and Controls, back when most of the transmitters and controllers were pneumatic.
Stayed in that field thru to 10-50 ma days and watched it settle into the 4-20 ma.
Then lots of programmable controllers to replace relay logic.
Then my last 13 years were performing calibrations for a bio pharmaceutical.
Retired from that 5 years ago and went back to part time field work on the farm,
slowing down on that now.

onit43

Reaction score
Noticed some people mention their careers and I'm always interested in what other people do for a living.

I'm an Instrumentation and Controls Technician. We're basically glorified industrial electricians who focus on calibration of instruments and programming of industrial logic. I've been fortunate enough to work in and around various industries such as Oil/Gas, Powergen, Wastewater, Automotive, Aviation and currently Food/Bev. I really love my job and encourage people to look into it or other trades as we're staring down a real shortage of tradesmen in the upcoming years.

I'd love to hear what you guys do!
Air Traffic Controller for the Department of Defense (Navy). Teach sailors how to keep the skies safe and soon will replace me when I retire in 5 ½ years. Did it on active duty for 20 years, too. Love it.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You want to work in Florida? Lol
Haha my wife will never let me leave the family property unless I'm doing so solo. Where abouts we talking in Florida though lol!
This has been an interesting thread to read.
I grew up on a dairy farm, joined the Marines did Avionics on A4's.
Then started in Instrumentation and Controls, back when most of the transmitters and controllers were pneumatic.
Stayed in that field thru to 10-50 ma days and watched it settle into the 4-20 ma.
Then lots of programmable controllers to replace relay logic.
Then my last 13 years were performing calibrations for a bio pharmaceutical.
Retired from that 5 years ago and went back to part time field work on the farm,
slowing down on that now.
Awesome! Cool to see another I&C guy in here. I can only imagine the innovation I'll see over the span of my career.

I know it was kind of mind numbing going through school learning on SLC500s and Siemens S7s then getting my current job and they were still using ancient PLC 3s haha. It was good getting to work through our updates as we moved to the latest version of Controllogix.

Users who are viewing this thread