5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone do for a living?

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha my wife will never let me leave the family property unless I'm doing so solo. Where abouts we talking in Florida though lol!

Awesome! Cool to see another I&C guy in here. I can only imagine the innovation I'll see over the span of my career.

I know it was kind of mind numbing going through school learning on SLC500s and Siemens S7s then getting my current job and they were still using ancient PLC 3s haha. It was good getting to work through our updates as we moved to the latest version of Controllogix.
Northwest Florida in the panhandle.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gave my retirement notice today! 35 years in the machine shop and some millwright/welding at Kidd Creek Mine. Getting a bonus $2000 by giving 6 month notice, January 6th 2022 will be my last day so 199 calendar days or 82 working days left if I deduct my remaining 7 weeks of holidays, stat holidays and I only work four 10 hour shifts per week. My wife is also retiring that same week after 30 years for the school board as an office manager.
We are getting excited to travel North America!
I have my tiny travel trailer hooked up to my Jeep but we will be travelling with my Rebel diesel.

Attachments

• 8D5266F2-9D60-4F0A-BF13-313FE07464FD.jpeg
    8D5266F2-9D60-4F0A-BF13-313FE07464FD.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 37
  • C7E1BE17-CA6C-4837-A3C3-2E31483B7C94.jpeg
    C7E1BE17-CA6C-4837-A3C3-2E31483B7C94.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should have stayed in school. I’m gonna be 50 this year and retirement is a minimum of ten years away for me. I work with mostly 30 something year olds. Hard work for my age. Still feel good still in good shape. Hope I can make ten more. 14 would be ideal but I also would like to live to collect my pension🤔

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should have stayed in school. I’m gonna be 50 this year and retirement is a minimum of ten years away for me. I work with mostly 30 something year olds. Hard work for my age. Still feel good still in good shape. Hope I can make ten more. 14 would be ideal but I also would like to live to collect my pension🤔
Going to school would have added more time anyways right?

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Gave my retirement notice today! 35 years in the machine shop and some millwright/welding at Kidd Creek Mine. Getting a bonus $2000 by giving 6 month notice, January 6th 2022 will be my last day so 199 calendar days or 82 working days left if I deduct my remaining 7 weeks of holidays, stat holidays and I only work four 10 hour shifts per week. My wife is also retiring that same week after 30 years for the school board as an office manager.
We are getting excited to travel North America!
I have my tiny travel trailer hooked up to my Jeep but we will be travelling with my Rebel diesel.
Congratulations!!! Everyday will soon be Saturday!

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Noticed some people mention their careers and I'm always interested in what other people do for a living.

I'm an Instrumentation and Controls Technician. We're basically glorified industrial electricians who focus on calibration of instruments and programming of industrial logic. I've been fortunate enough to work in and around various industries such as Oil/Gas, Powergen, Wastewater, Automotive, Aviation and currently Food/Bev. I really love my job and encourage people to look into it or other trades as we're staring down a real shortage of tradesmen in the upcoming years.

I'd love to hear what you guys do!

I am a Quality Technical Coordinator for Agilent Technologies here in Chicopee, Massachusetts. It is basically a Glorified Quality inspector position. That has it's perks, I spend most of my day inspecting instrument parts and when i am not doing that I am writing programs on our CMM or vision inspection equipment.
I also handle all the incoming inspections of the components that go into manufacturing our equipment as well as I handle the calibration and preventative maintenance of our equipment in our manufacturing facility. it is an awesome company to work for. We employ 20,000 people world wide and our headquarters are located in Santa Clara California. Agilent is a spin off of HP Computers who is a our sister company, we are just the medical side of the business, which has been extremely busy since Covid started. www.agilent.com

brenan00

Reaction score
I am a Quality Technical Coordinator for Agilent Technologies here in Chicopee, Massachusetts. It is basically a Glorified Quality inspector position. That has it's perks, I spend most of my day inspecting instrument parts and when i am not doing that I am writing programs on our CMM or vision inspection equipment.
I also handle all the incoming inspections of the components that go into manufacturing our equipment as well as I handle the calibration and preventative maintenance of our equipment in our manufacturing facility. it is an awesome company to work for. We employ 20,000 people world wide and our headquarters are located in Santa Clara California. Agilent is a spin off of HP Computers who is a our sister company, we are just the medical side of the business, which has been extremely busy since Covid started. www.agilent.com
Congratulations on your retirement. I remember when you guys were split up, the echocardiology and patient monitoring groups went to Philips.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Congratulations on your retirement. I remember when you guys were split up, the echocardiology and patient monitoring groups went to Philips.
It's entirely ok, we have purchased so many companies since then we have grown tremendously, we purchased BioTek from Vermont recent for a few Billion dollars.... We are doing Awesome in sales now ! Oh I'm not retiring! to much money to be made. To many toys to be purchased.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mechanical engineer by education, but I started a custom wood shop and now I make custom doors, epoxy river tables, built in cabinets, wall-art, cutting boards and the like. If anyone ever needs any work done, (shameless plug) feel free to check out my website. www.sonsofwalnut.com. 15% discount for forum members.
Oh man. So envious of your abilities! I love watching woodworking videos. Especially the epoxy river tables.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Mechanical engineer by education, but I started a custom wood shop and now I make custom doors, epoxy river tables, built in cabinets, wall-art, cutting boards and the like. If anyone ever needs any work done, (shameless plug) feel free to check out my website. www.sonsofwalnut.com. 15% discount for forum members.
Where do you ship from?

Users who are viewing this thread