5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you dislike about your gen5 truck?

sublime1996525

Reaction score
I’ve had mine about a month and I have only one wish. I wish I could do CarPlay on the full screen. I do love how I can have Waze on and see the radio though.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's interesting to look through these lists and see what people like or don't like. It's no wonder manufacturer's have such a hard time pleasing customers. There are several things that some would want that I wouldn't want. And I'm sure I'm not alone on that. I guess a good solution would be to at least have the options for the things that have been mentioned.

Yea, it is fairly amusing how some things for some are great and others suck.

I hope people like @RamCares take note of threads like these and report to decision makers on future options that get added/deleted.

Like anything in this business it most likely comes down to cost and ROI along with whatever the competition does.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
I’ve had mine about a month and I have only one wish. I wish I could do CarPlay on the full screen. I do love how I can have Waze on and see the radio though.
I was looking all over the settings for this, too. Surely this can't be that difficult to program... after all, both Android and iOS have tablet versions running.

50Front

Reaction score
I like the truck but these things could be better
1. White Frost color match is bad.
2. The app never worked for me. It could locate the truck but that's it.
3. Back doors sound cheap when closing them, fronts close nice and solid.
4. Loud clank at start up, been releasing the brake pedal to resolve.
5. Cheap power fold mirror motors/gears.
6.Wish the heated seats could be put on for the back and bottom of the seat independently like the GM trucks.
7.The trans is slow to shift into 1st gear when coming to a quick stop. Otherwise the transmission is probably the best I've had in any car/truck.
8.auto high beams too sensitive, reflection from street signs turns the light down. Had to turn this feature off.
9. back up sensors are too sensitive and slams on the brakes even when nothing is directly behind like backing in the garage.
10. whats the point of having regular CC if you optioned ACC. When would you ever use CC over ACC?
11. The surround view is shown very small on the 12" screen, it should be full screen or at least half.
12. I agree with others about the mirror tilt on reverse, it tilts too far and both sides tilt without option for just the right side.

I know, long list but they are all minor issues, overall this is the best truck i have had.

sbdf1

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of these. There's many features on my truck that I love and other things I'm surprised it doesn't have, considering it would just take a tiny bit of thought to do / program. I've had the truck about 3 weeks and overall I absolutely love it.

Some room for improvement:
1. Folding mirrors hit the driver and passenger windows. They go so far in that if I forget the windows are down and I fold the mirrors in, I think it would hit them as the windows go up.
2. Paint quality: there is a significant amount of dirt/flakes inside the paint that has dried at the factory. I also have a large dried paint drip down the edge of the driver door. For the price they are asking on these trucks, it's almost laughable.
3. AC coldness is average
4. Cooled seats are useless... can't even tell they're on half the time
5. When headlights activate at dusk, dash and 12" uconnect can barely be seen so I'm always adjusting manually with the dial. Wish you could pick the sensitivity of headlights activating like on my last car.
6. Auto brake in reverse activates almost everytime I back up into my driveway with nothing behind it.
7. Lane keep assist may as well not be an option because it's brutal. Tested it on a road trip and the truck literally dances across the lane on a dead straight road

Otherwise the truck rides beautifully, fit and finish on the inside is well done (no squeaks, rattles, panel gaps), and the seats are incredibly comfortable.
:cool:

slicktop

Reaction score
1) AC is lousy. Calling it adequate is giving poor design a pass.
2) Does the RAM logo on the tailgate really have to be larger than an interstate sign? AND recessed so we can't even remove it?
3) I had a $20,000 Hyundai that came with keyless/passive entry and remote start, and they can't include that on a $40,00 truck? C'mon.
4) LED lights on the mirrors, incandescent in the interiors? Where do you even buy incandescent interior lamps anymore?
5) Paint quality is indeed poor. There's entirely too many errors and defects from the factory. Shameful.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of these. There's many features on my truck that I love and other things I'm surprised it doesn't have, considering it would just take a tiny bit of thought to do / program. I've had the truck about 3 weeks and overall I absolutely love it.

Some room for improvement:
1. Folding mirrors hit the driver and passenger windows. They go so far in that if I forget the windows are down and I fold the mirrors in, I think it would hit them as the windows go up.
I thought this too with my current truck, but they aren't actually touching the windows. Try slipping a sheet of paper (or something similar) between the mirror and window next time you fold them in. I think you'll find that they don't actually touch the windows. My previous truck was the same way (2017 Rebel).

ToeKnee

Reaction score
I've got the cloth seats....not as comfortable as Ford's. Oh..and lack of ground clearance from factory compared to Ford. But other than that I like my Ram lol.
Before I brought my Ram, I test drove a few fords and imo their cloth seats are much stiffer feeling and not as comfortable. Not to mention the cloth they use are lighter in color so they also stain easier too.

ToeKnee

Reaction score
Link wouldn’t work for some reason

Go to this site and just search for Mopar Custom Painted 5.7L Hemi Hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I brought mine off eBay for $90 but they only come in matte black.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
Paint quality does have a crapton of orange peel, I'll give you that.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
- hood emblems.. I agree, they're out of place
- Grill has too much Chrome, but that's what I had to get to get the interior options I wanted.
- Hemi / Etrq 8 spd performance: Acceleration (both empty & towing) are subpar compared to my previous Ford's. It's not bad, just leaves you wanting more. Fuel Economy is ****.. I'm at 8,500 miles and mostly Hwy driving.. 15.8 mpg lifetime.. best of 18.8mpg in perfect 100% Hwy with zero traffic, zero stops between fillups.. I know, don't buy a truck for MPGs.. well I should atleast be able to get the sticker using 89oct it calls for!!
- pedestrian braking is WAAAYYYY too sensitive. I had to disable it cause it would go off at 70mph with NOTHING infront of me. ..backing up is impossible.
- UConnect is buggy / glitchy and the NAV is almost worthless.
- App is less than useless

That all being said, I'm glad I bought the RAM. The interior is top notch and the ride is great too. With the exception of the Grill and hood Emblems I think it's one of the best looking (new) trucks out there. I'd like to get the Grill painted and the Sport hood for her, but I have too many other projects going on right now to mess with her.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before I brought my Ram, I test drove a few fords and imo their cloth seats are much stiffer feeling and not as comfortable. Not to mention the cloth they use are lighter in color so they also stain easier too.
I haven't test drove any of the 2020's so maybe they changed and went cheaper lol. Mine was based off of my 2014. Glad I didn't waste my time lol. I think GMs seats were terrible too.

dinomufin

Reaction score
Honestly, I love the truck more than I thought I would. This thread forces me to imagine something I don't like. So with that in mind I can only settle on one thing.

My other car is a 600hp supercharged v8 station wagon that absolutely hauls ***. Zero to sixty in less than 4 seconds if I can get it to hook up. The truck feels hilariously slow by comparison, which I expected. I don't hold it against the truck. But imagine going from a Hellcat to a regular R/T in terms of available power.

20Ram350020

Reaction score
#1 AC hack -Crazy that has to be done
#2 Cooling seats are not worth one red cent, never been able to tell they are on.
#3 12" Uconnect leaves a lot to be desired (NAV sucks, I use google maps on my phone still, always switching back to the CD even tho last source was Sirius)
#4 Doesn't unlock on approach with the fob in pocket
#5 No way to unlock the truck without the fob (Where's the keypad???)
#6 Oil filter and drain location...
What’s the a/c hack your talking about ?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing I dislike so far is the HUMONGOUS key fob. You need extra large pockets for this thing!
Lol! I think it's just something you get used to. My Charger had one about the same size, I don't even notice the size difference anymore

Mr Q

Reaction score
This is the fourth Ram i have had, as well as numerous company trucks over the years.

No complaints at all, the best one yet. I have been lucky not to have had any of the problems i have read on here..

It is certainly an education about these trucks when you read about what can go wrong.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Since I just experienced this again, I’d thought I’d add this just in case @RamCares is following this thread.

If I shut the truck off while it’s in tow/haul mode, then when I restart the truck, put it back in tow/haul mode! It remembers that I turned off the rear parking sensor, surely it can see a power draw over the trailer connector, why can’t it just assume I still need that!

Users who are viewing this thread